01-01-11, 08:10 PM   #1
Visys
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Leatrix Latency Fix

Hey guys, I've tried Leatrix' Latency Fix on several occasions now, and it's always seems to boost my latency by about 200ms, as opposed to doing the polar opposite, and lowering it by 200ms like it's supposed to.

I haven't done anything wrong during the installation, so for what reason exactly is this happening?

I run a wireless internet connection, if that helps anybody.
01-01-11, 09:04 PM   #2
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm... I just installed it yesterday and cut my latency in half (from around 300 to 150).

Have you read the FAQ's?

Specifically, the Miscellaneous Questions at http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html.

I understand that it may not always work; it explains some of this there.
01-06-11, 08:00 AM   #3
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Visys View Post
Hey guys, I've tried Leatrix' Latency Fix on several occasions now, and it's always seems to boost my latency by about 200ms, as opposed to doing the polar opposite, and lowering it by 200ms like it's supposed to.

I haven't done anything wrong during the installation, so for what reason exactly is this happening?

I run a wireless internet connection, if that helps anybody.
Try switching your wireless router to just use B and see if that lowers your latency, latrix adjusts the TcpAckFrequency if you are already using most of your bandwidth increasing the number of ack can increase you latency instead of lowering it, Also if there is a problem with your line, router etc it will also increase you ping times
01-06-11, 12:53 PM   #4
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I hope you mean set it to just use G. B is a lower bandwidth wireless protocol (11 Mbps compared to the 54 Mbps of G).
01-06-11, 01:17 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you tried checking to see if there is an updated driver for your network adapter, and installing it if there is one?
01-06-11, 05:10 PM   #6
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
hate to say it, but inserting a wireless access point into my network configuration seems to add 100ms to 150ms to my latency all by itself (all else being exactly identical). this is with each of A/B/G in a variety of configurations (and with or without "microwave reliability" enabled, etc). just seems to be inherent overhead.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
01-07-11, 01:41 PM   #7
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
I hope you mean set it to just use G. B is a lower bandwidth wireless protocol (11 Mbps compared to the 54 Mbps of G).
Nope I meant B. B is more stable especially on less expensive routers like the AT&T two wire. Inexpensive G router have a tenecy to drop packets which is detrimental to MMO's
01-07-11, 01:43 PM   #8
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
hate to say it, but inserting a wireless access point into my network configuration seems to add 100ms to 150ms to my latency all by itself (all else being exactly identical). this is with each of A/B/G in a variety of configurations (and with or without "microwave reliability" enabled, etc). just seems to be inherent overhead.
Is the modem setup as a router or a bridge? If the modem is acting as a router and your acess point is acting as a router your going to have some latency issues
01-07-11, 03:44 PM   #9
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

I run WLAN Optimizer when playing on wireless, its main feature being its ability to disable background scanning. I see an overall latency reduction of only 50ms or so, but the elimination of spikes is very nice. I run Windows 7 btw.

You can run an extended ping test (e.g., start > run > ping -t 192.168.0.1) to your router; anything over a couple ms round trip could be indicative of an issue. A side by side ping test to your router using both a wired and wireless source can also be a helpful in isolating lag.
01-21-11, 03:49 PM   #10
f4c3m3l70r
A Kobold Labourer
Which OS and service pack are you using?
01-21-11, 08:05 PM   #11
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by patrick51 View Post
Is the modem setup as a router or a bridge? If the modem is acting as a router and your acess point is acting as a router your going to have some latency issues
FWIW, my DSL modem is configured as a router. my wireless access point is configured purely as an access point (i.e. the wireless equivalent of an ethernet hub; not as a router; don't know what you mean by "bridge").
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
01-22-11, 01:13 AM   #12
Taryble
A Molten Giant

A wireless bridge is a device that has both a wireless antenna and an ethernet port in it. You plug a network-capable (but not wireless capable) device into the bridge via ethernet, and the bridge connects to your wireless network, thus allowing a non-wireless-capable device (original XBox/PS2, for example) to be connected via a wireless network.

I need to buy one, just so I can get my damn blu-ray player on my wifi network. :> The one I had for my original xbox died.
02-22-11, 01:14 AM   #13
neu4mann
A Kobold Labourer
Latency Degradation

Hi Guys,
I install the latency fix and restart and find it goes from
!500-600 ms to !35ms!
Amazing if you ask me. However, over time (like three bootup) the latency slowly increases so i find i have to re-install.
Does anyone know how i can try to find out what the problem is?
For now I was going to do a batch file that re-installs the program when I log-off so i dont have to restart when the latency fix degrades.
Does anyone else have this issue?
Thanks
Paul
Calgary, AB
02-22-11, 05:06 AM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Your best bet is to post over on the official tech support forums. Either the forum technicians or one of the volunteers will ask you a series of questions about your network information so that they can easily assist you further in helping you fix the issue.

Before you post though, read the stickied post at the top about the forum guidelines. It will save you a lot of headache and help you to post a thorough help request.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011701/

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Leatrix Latency Fix