03-14-10, 10:30 AM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Mobile WOW possible?

So i got a droid the other day, the reason i have not been on much lately. This thing is CRAZY to say the lest. Ive noticed some things in going over hacks and apps and this that and the others. I think that it is highly possible to play WOW via your Android phone. Not well or anything but enough to say... check your in game mail, or post/bid on auctions. maybe even do some of the easy daily's. Better yet do some of your holiday achives while on the road for the holidays lol.

So before i go to town making droids run wow...

I have a question.

Does anyone know is it possible to play WOW via remote access through some sort of network admin software? its been awhile since i have messed with such things but back in the day things like sub7 or BackOrifice would allow you full access to another computer remotely.

Theoretically, the remoteaccess apps for the droid could allow you to play wow by running wow on your home system and then accessing it via the remoteaccess application.

It is also possible to hotwire keyboards and mice to the droid. Also possible with other mods to the OS to attach bluetooth keyboards and mice to the droid.

Just throwing this out there see if anyone else has had this idea...

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-10, 12:22 PM   #2
Shadowcat101
A Kobold Labourer
I believe it is possible mainly because if I remember correctly ... when the iPhone first came out people were able to install wow on it and play wow (not well like you said) via their iPhone.
03-14-10, 12:25 PM   #3
Spectrezh
Priestess of the Moon

Premium Member
wouldn't that be a little hard to move around and attack and such? plus the screen's tiny on the iPhone lol, gnomes will become truly impossible to see!

Last edited by Spectrezh : 03-14-10 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added something about Gnomes :D
03-14-10, 12:30 PM   #4
cloudwolf
A Black Drake
The concept has been done where the Iphone is the displaya nd the input. The thing however lagged SO horribly on the iphone that all the person was able to do was chat to people. So yes you can stream the stuff from a pc to a phone. Its laggy and hard to control unless the droid is about 50x stronger than the iphone i'm not sure it would be beneficial.
03-14-10, 12:35 PM   #5
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Yea i think it would be possible with the droid to. Im almost positive that you could do the remote access deal.

The droid only comes with a 16gig SDHC card though and i dont think wow will fit in 16gig's... maybe i have not checked the size lately.

possible the droid can read 32gig SDHC cards but i have not tried yet, im sure if it does not it will soon enough since it would only be a change in the software not the hardware.

Assuming you could squish wow on there though technically with a mod to the OS you could run it. Granted forget running addons but it would still be cool.

If the remote access thing works though you would be basically playing with your home setup IE all addons and such. Not sure how well the droid will interface with the game but... if a custom app was written specifically for remoteaccess to WOW im sure it could be made to work quite well. Then throw in some sort of mouse and keyboard and you would have full mobile play tiny graphics but hell...

In reality this is all trivial to me since i already made my droid do wifi tethering and my laptop hooks in just fine at amazing speeds to considering im using a cellphone as a wifi router.... but still have to carry the laptop.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-10, 12:38 PM   #6
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

side note: droid is stronger then iphone hardware wise, can be overclocked to 800mhz fairly easily. and if that is the case when the HTC H2D comes out it has a 1ghz snapdragon processor on it that can be OC'd to like 1.4ghz or more. so it would for sure run it and maybe even half way decent.

Im going to look into it more. One other thought to is if a specific app was written just for doing this you could have the app shutoff all unnecessary apps/functions/services to help decrees system lag and net lag.

Ill say right now the droid is unfreakingbeliaveable.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-10, 12:42 PM   #7
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

The screen issue, your right it would be rough lol gnomes are hard to see as it is, how ever with pinch zoom and double touch and most of the remote access apps i have seen so far allow for fit on screen or pinchzoom functions as well as general actual view scroll around. I dunno like i said it might not play well... certainly would not want to raid with it or anything but i think if you had to run a holiday daily and kill a mob or two you could pull it off.

certainly could dink with your mail and auctions. that alone is enough incentive for me to try it

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-10, 12:59 PM   #8
Gautr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
To play wow you gotta have Open GL or DX, if the device doesnt support either you are doomed.
03-14-10, 01:11 PM   #9
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Hmm i wonder though if that is true for remote access. Also the nice thing about the droid is if it does not have it now it can be added.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-10, 01:11 PM   #10
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
No, you can't install WoW on your phone. I don't know of any smartphones that use x86 at least. Some other issues would also be memory capacity and underlying operative system.

The way people usually do it is by streaming a "interactive" video from their computers. This is really the same solution as "cloud gaming" uses.
03-14-10, 04:08 PM   #11
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

the H2D might by HTC its a windows mobile platform. Will be upgradeable to Win7 mobile when its available.

the android is a derivative of unix. It to could be jerry rigged im sure to do it.

couldnt tell you about the iphone not an apple fan.

And what do you mean streaming interactive video from their computer? Sounds similar to doing a remote access of some kind.

Some of the remote access apps i have seen let you access and run everything/anything on your comp. At lest for the droid.

Note: The HTC H2D isnt even out yet in the US.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-14-10, 06:31 PM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Atane View Post
To play wow you gotta have Open GL or DX, if the device doesnt support either you are doomed.
A word of caution:

OpenGL is only used for testing/troubleshooting purposes *if* the WoW Tech Support team asks you to temporarily use it. OpenGL mode should never ever be used for normal game play in WoW.
03-14-10, 06:43 PM   #13
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Unless you're using a Mac or Linux, which do not and never have supported DirectX, and use OpenGL instead at all times.
03-16-10, 10:51 AM   #14
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
You certainly can't play WoW natively on any mobile device.

You can achieve something using VNC - the host computer runs WoW, and relays screen images to the phone, and the phone relays input back to the host. If you get 2 FPS out of WoW doing this, you're doing quite well.
03-16-10, 11:13 AM   #15
aliem
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
You certainly can't play WoW natively on any mobile device.

You can achieve something using VNC - the host computer runs WoW, and relays screen images to the phone, and the phone relays input back to the host. If you get 2 FPS out of WoW doing this, you're doing quite well.
This is the only way to try it ... and that because people lagged playing with iphone/droid/anything_else the greather bottleneck is the network and the screen-sharing protocol (it can be very fast just because the software cant record every frame created by the gfx card)

iPhone/iPod Touch -> iPhoneOS, BSD kernel (unix-like)
Android -> Linux (unix-like with some nice optimizations)
others some has Win mobile (it's not like windows) or Symbian (propietary)

Last edited by aliem : 03-16-10 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
03-16-10, 03:11 PM   #16
Fodaro
A Cyclonian

Very interesting topic. I would post a link to a YouTube video, but it seems to be having a paddy right now .

Anyway, search for "World of Warcraft iPhone" and you'll find some videos of it on an iPhone, and if you can do it on one of those things then it must be possible on a reasonable smartphone/PDA. As far as I know, it has only been done by cracking the iPhone, i.e. using it as Apple never intended, but nearly every other smartphone OS is more accommodating.

If you used remote desktop software, such as the built-in software on WM6, then you don't need DirectX or OpenGL. Only problem would be with the screen size and input method. You could probably write an addOn that would help though.
03-16-10, 05:10 PM   #17
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I did this on my iPhone once, having my pc run and then open it as a virtual pc through safari, laggy as hell, and you have to scroll all over, but it worked.
03-17-10, 02:29 PM   #18
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

yea i figured id have to scroll all over. I watched a how to on how to hotwire a normal computer keyboard to the droid. Id imagine if you wrote some sort of app or mod to the OS you could add cursor support and hotwire a mouse in. Might also be possible to hook a bluetooth mouse to it as i had mentioned before. That would help with the input issue.

Its a for certain though to make it work well it would need some mods to the OS as well as apps made for the phone. And then something else writen for the host computer.

Also just want to point out that WOW runs on unix/linux and considering android is a modified linux and you can ultimately add to/modify the OS on the phone theoretically you could mod the os to run WOW straight from the phone.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03-19-10, 11:33 AM   #19
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I sincerely doubt there's enough Linux on an Android to get Wine running successfully. Embedded versions of operating systems often have little resemblance to the full versions.
03-22-10, 03:08 PM   #20
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Well so far i have succeeded in using one of the remote desktop apps to run wow on my phone. Only major problem is the rate at which the video from wow feeds back to my phone. The input though is near instant! What i do on the phone happens in wow on my computer right away and wow on the computer of course responds right away but you do not see what you did or where you moved to on the phone for awhile after doing it. maybe network and processor combined. Attempting to OC this thing

Other wise looks pretty damn good, controls pretty well. If there was less lag i think it would actually be usable. Also note that this was tried on my main system running wow on the computer itself with all graphic options set to max. Some changes to graphics options on the computer COULD make things run better on the phone. Have not messed with it. just wanted to see it work and then come back here and say i told you so.

Next to see if i can run it from the phone itself. tehehe muahaha

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Mobile WOW possible?