07-03-10, 05:44 PM   #21
Si_
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As a user of AVG free the only ads I've seen is the one ad on the main screen about upgrading to the pro version, at least in my opinion this doesn't qualify it as adware for the simple reason that they are well within their rights to try and entice people to buy the "upgraded" version of their software.

For me adware has to show ads that are completely unrelated to the software itself, like those stupid toolbars that seem to be in a lot of open source software's installers these days.

As for the performance gain by not using AV software, most computers should be able to run an AV without any noticeable performance hit.

when it comes down to it, its the uses decision whether to install AV software and stuff, you might think you are safe without it and fair enough, as for me I have AV installed as a piece of mind thing, I know how to use the internet and not get all that stuff but on a networked environment which I'm almost always connected to, I don't know if everyone else is a smart of an internet user as i am.

I treat it sort of like the authenticators, I don't really need it but its nice to know its there just in case.

As far as scam emails go, does anyone else enjoy reading them? I always open them up and have a good laugh at the bad grammar/website addresses

like the other day i had one that had "https3asdffaa22s3f5g" in the middle of the web address, hilarious
07-03-10, 10:20 PM   #22
MoonWitch
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Because of the current risk at rogueware (which is a fairly recent trend btw), you should only use reputable antivirus software, be it free or paid That's all there is to it.

Leave the choice up to people, on whether or not to use antivirus software and which one.
07-10-10, 02:30 PM   #23
Melody Kitn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I've been lucky with the spoofs in a sense. I changed my email addy to a more private one that I only use for WoW and that's it.

So when I see a supposedly official notice from Blizzard in the old account, I know not to bother with it and dump it straight in the trash.

I also have a habit of just checking my mail on the phone now, just in case I misclick somewhere...
07-10-10, 04:25 PM   #24
elals29
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Melody Kitn View Post
I've been lucky with the spoofs in a sense. I changed my email addy to a more private one that I only use for WoW and that's it.

So when I see a supposedly official notice from Blizzard in the old account, I know not to bother with it and dump it straight in the trash.

I also have a habit of just checking my mail on the phone now, just in case I misclick somewhere...
Yeah the best way to NOT get hacked is to make an email addy just for your account. It's the safest way. I did that too and it's easier to catch offical blizz emails if you tend to get alot of mails in your inbox.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A new version of the same scam. Catac beta spoof