05-25-09, 11:33 AM   #21
Kofetek
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Is wifi secure enough to use a computer with personal info on it?
In short: no.

First, you try to relax, then you find yourself laughing manically and chewing on a red bull can.
05-25-09, 01:27 PM   #22
Patchumz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Kofetek View Post
Correct, if you run Faildows then you are never secure.
05-25-09, 01:30 PM   #23
Darkblood14
A Defias Bandit
If we take it like that... we should unplug from internet. With some proper defense u should be safe in a wifi network(anyway nothing else then in a lan network).
Ofc nothing is rly safe and u can't be 100% shure that u won't get hacked but as i stated before if we use that mentality we should cut off from internet. Tbh i'm not even using a firewall or antivirus but i won't recommend that :P

Correct, if you run Faildows then you are never secure.
Trust me, you are never secure. Not a single OS can protect u 100%

Last edited by Darkblood14 : 05-25-09 at 01:33 PM.
05-25-09, 01:39 PM   #24
BWarner
A Black Drake

In a little less short - be smart about it, and you should be fine. Should being the operating word here, but unless you're holding on to and communicating EXTREMELY sensitive information (state secrets and the like) which will make a target of your data, and if you practice safe (read: lockdown) usage, and if you don't keep an active connection running for hours on end, you should be fine.

Be sure your firewall is updated and set correctly, of course. And Windows' built-in firewall doesn't cut it, at least get something along the lines of Comodo (free, and we all know how much we like free here!)
05-25-09, 01:48 PM   #25
N10do
A Murloc Raider
Don't listen to all the people whining about Minion being late. I applaud you Shirik for taking the time out of your life to work on such a huge project, alone and unpaid!
--Lord
05-25-09, 03:02 PM   #26
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Given how the client is planned to work (modules for other sites), waiting for a client that will work as intended is fine. Rushing a client out for use just because we are impatient and having it fail to work properly would be a mistake, especially since a lot of us would B&M about it failing.
Shirik, get settled and get into your everyday routine before worrying about the client.
From the shown previews, it looks pretty good. I would like to request that the finished release version also shows the addon version that is currently installed along side the version that is available to download. This will help prevent accidental "downgrading" of an addon (in cases where the author has updated it elsewhere but not on WoWI) using Minion. I never had the problem of downloading an older version via WM or Curse simply because I checked the version dates/numbers, and I didn't use automatic update or "update all" (except when all the addons needed to be updated).
I myself don't care if automatic update is available, and as mentioned, didn't use update all much. I simply clicked to update an addon, but would have several updating at same time, when there was several to update. As long as Minion allows me to update several addons at the same time, I'll be happy.
I also hope that most Authors will host their addons on WoWI because I'd like to completely break away from Curse (for the obvious reason) and WoWUI (for personal reason) altogether.

If WM were to contact WoWI, is there still a chance of working things out?
05-25-09, 03:10 PM   #27
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by DonCorneo View Post
If WM were to contact WoWI, is there still a chance of working things out?
I'm not sure hypothetical situations are useful here. If they were to contact us, we would deal with that when it happened.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
05-25-09, 03:34 PM   #28
Kofetek
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Darkblood14 View Post
If we take it like that... we should unplug from internet.
Indeed. I was just pointing out that wifi is especially vulnerable for attacks (everyone in range can intercept anything you send).

Now you will say that you have plenty of encryption programs available and we argue the whole night about it :P Or I go to sleep and stop making conflict, sorry about that one

First, you try to relax, then you find yourself laughing manically and chewing on a red bull can.
05-25-09, 03:55 PM   #29
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Cladhaire View Post
I'm not sure hypothetical situations are useful here. If they were to contact us, we would deal with that when it happened.
That's all I was asking. I for one am still hoping that some arrangement will happen, at least until Minion is in final release and running strong. If everything goes as envisioned, there won't be a need for any other client.
I also hope that Minion will cause most authors to host their addons on WoWI. If I can find out how to unblock ads from WoWI, I'd gladly allow that support, and hopefully will be able to pay for Premium WoWI sometime in July.
05-26-09, 02:18 PM   #30
ra1d3n
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by DonCorneo View Post
If I can find out how to unblock ads from WoWI, I'd gladly allow that support, and hopefully will be able to pay for Premium WoWI sometime in July.

You're welcome.
05-26-09, 02:23 PM   #31
ra1d3n
A Cyclonian

Is wifi secure enough to use a computer with personal info on it?
Is it secure to carry personal info around in a wallet?
Is it safe to drive a car?

All three are not entirely secure, but managable if you take precautions.
(e.g. fastening your seatbelt)

Last edited by ra1d3n : 05-26-09 at 04:38 PM.
05-26-09, 02:41 PM   #32
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ra1d3n View Post
Is it secure to carry personal info around in a wallet?
Is it safe to drive a car?

All thre are not entirely secure, but managable if you take precautions.
(e.g. fastening your seatbelt)
I never use my seatbelt. Those Nazi government types always telling me what to do... . Don't smoke, wear your seatbelt, drink responsibly, don't hit people just because they deserve it...

(anyone who knows me, knows the above to be in jest, except possibly the last and the first. People who tell me to put my cigarette out sometimes get hit if they don't ask correctly).

Also, I don't carry my SS number in my wallet, and I will not live in a state where your SS# is the same as your drivers license #. I also don't have client's SS# in my wallet, as I may on my computer. I could risk my own info a lot easier than I could other people's, but that's just me. I may trust WiFi at some point, but not until it's "as safe" as landline connections.
05-26-09, 03:34 PM   #33
p3squid
A Kobold Labourer
First post, but I have been using WOWI for a while. I would rather wait a little while for quality than have something like the Curse updater, which only works 50% of the time. Mac user btw, so hopefully it will work well for us.
05-26-09, 04:52 PM   #34
ra1d3n
A Cyclonian

I may trust WiFi at some point, but not until it's "as safe" as landline connections.
I think we are actually both on the same page here. I'm just saying "use your brain". It is not easier to break into computers from WiFi networks. It is just easier to listen in to your internet traffic. Its more like comparing telephone landlines to mobile devices. This means, yes you can go there and surf youtube without knowing a lot about security. Just use the same protection as you would at home. (eg. a firewall and a virus scanner)

That being said, you can be secure enough against people listening in even while using WiFi to transmit sensitive data. Use VPN. Use PGP. Use shttp. Or just don't transmit sensitive data.

I study Software Development and i can tell you, that in my opinion you can be safe enough while using WiFi. If you know what you are doing. But then again, if you don't know it, you are not safe at home either. : )

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Delete this post if it is too intrusive.

regards

Last edited by ra1d3n : 05-26-09 at 04:55 PM.
05-26-09, 05:10 PM   #35
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
In order from most safe, to least safe

No Internet, period.

VPN+SSH connections are safe on -any- medium, due to SSH

Properly-configured firewall, over either 1) an ethernet connection, directly connected to the cablemodem/dsl modem or 2) dialup modem

WiFi with WPA2-secured connection, along with a long pass phrase. at -least- 22 characters, changed weekly.

WiFi with WPA1-secured connection Plus the Above

WiFi with WEP128

WiFi with WEP64

Personal, Unsecured WiFi connection

Any Public HotSpot WiFi connection.

AOL connection. period

Last edited by break19 : 05-26-09 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarification.
05-26-09, 06:33 PM   #36
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by break19 View Post
AOL connection. period
Nice, you about made me piss myself.

On a more on-topic note. I have well over 100 addons. Between the Curse client, and then email notifications from WOWI (Lets face it, who doesn't check email atleast once a day?), I can pretty easily keep my addons up-to-date.

Is it ideal? no way. I used to use WM and Curse client, which had pretty much everything I needed, but then I started realizing how unbelievidly outdated WM was. In some cases, WM would update an addon to the "newest version" which was months out of date. Not to mention it would over-write the addon I'd just updated with Curse!

So now to the bottom line. There's certain addons that will be on WOWUI, WOWI, and Curse. Some will be on only 1 site, and some will be on all. I don't want to go to 3 sites for my addons, and my current method of updating works just fine (although it's hell on patch days that break my addons, go blizz!). After 3.1 launched, I'd have to check my mail multiple times a day for the lovely favorites update emails from WOWI. So Minion will be great if Curse jumps on board. I just forsee problems where addons are on multiple sites, how to gauge which one is infact newer.....

So I will wait (probably impatiently), and hope that Minion is what it sounds like it'll be. On a side note, have you guys asked whoever is working on the curse updated for help coding/debugging? I'm sure you guys want this code kept secret or whatever, but maybe they can help? Might help secure thier support!

People with OCD (Or CDO in Scott's Case) prefer nUI+! Find it at www.nuiaddon.com
05-26-09, 09:38 PM   #37
Mingz
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Shirik has flown from his University in Florida to Washington State
What part of Washington is he in? I'm guessing he is in Seattle, but if he is farther down south near Portland he can come use my internet.
05-26-09, 09:48 PM   #38
Xelopheris
A Defias Bandit
As far as your own system security, it's not any less secure than a wired connection. Connecting to Wifi at a hotspot has it's own security flaws, but that has to do with the public location. If you manually jacked into Starbuck's switch, it would have the same effect as using their Wifi to anyone who knows how to overload a CAM table. (Infact, wifi is more secure than connecting to a switch with a flooded CAM table.)
05-26-09, 10:11 PM   #39
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Mingz View Post
What part of Washington is he in? I'm guessing he is in Seattle, but if he is farther down south near Portland he can come use my internet.
The company I work for is in Bingen, Washington. I'm in White Salmon, Washington. About 40 minutes outside of Portland.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-26-09, 11:02 PM   #40
Mingz
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
The company I work for is in Bingen, Washington. I'm in White Salmon, Washington. About 40 minutes outside of Portland.
Ahh White Salmon. That explains the no internet, White Salmon is da boonies! JK, That whole area (WS, Hood River, Bingen, etc.) is really beautiful. What company do you work for?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Update: 25 May