03-06-08, 01:35 PM   #1
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
help debugging MOD spam?

i installed/updated a mod, sometime in the past several weeks, that is spitting out numerous/repeated log messages on START/STOP_AUTOREPEAT_SPELL events.

i did not notice it before, since i have not played a hunter in some time (and since i have had a lot of updates since last playing my hunter, it could be hard to backtrack this based solely on what was recently installed).

i assume this is being driven by autoshot starting/stopping.

there is nothing in these log messages (being dumped to the default chat window) to identify which mod is generating them (very bad coding practice, but there you have it).

before i start selectively disabling mods/libraries, is there some sort of bug tracking mod that can intercept messages being sent to the default chat window, and associate a LUA call stack with them, or some such, that would let me track down which mod is generating these messages?

thanks.
-----
edit, clarification: these are not "bugs", no LUA error is being generated; these are extremely verbose and entirely unnecessary "print" directives to the default chat window that do not identify the mod originating them. they are simply dumping the name of spell events (specifically the strings "START_AUTOREPEAT_SPELL" and "STOP_AUTOREPEAT_SPELL") to the default chat window, over and over and over again. i expect some mod developer left some print statements in the code on release, instead of commenting them out or removing them. i am hoping for something that can help me track down what is originating these.
-----
edit: resolved. i turned off all mods, enabled only libraries. started a fight, no bogus messages. then i enabled the latest Trinity2 beta (planning to enable mods one at a time until the messages appeared). started a fight, and that was what was generating the messages. the AddMessage() calls are there in black&white (now commented out).

what is sad is that Vista's file search capability did not find these. seems to have trouble with searching LUA files (despite the fact they are basically text). sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited by acapela : 03-06-08 at 04:12 PM.
03-06-08, 01:56 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try this: http://files.wowace.com/BugSack/BugSack-r63743.zip

and this: http://files.wowace.com/!BugGrabber/...ber-r63718.zip

This will put a red bag looking thing on your minimap.... copy/paste any bugs (errors) you get from that here in this thread and someone will help ya

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » help debugging MOD spam?