11-12-11, 04:20 AM   #1
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightest mods for simple information display

Hi all-

I am looking for a very simple mod to display the following:

Bag Space, Gold, Social (Friends / Guild), Durability

This feels like too few items for a full blown Lib Data Broker container - is there something super light that only has these items displayed? If not - what would be the lightest data broker / fubar / titanpanel choice for the display of these few items?

I am also looking for a single lightweight mod to Repair using Guild Funds or Not (config choice) AND to auto sell gray items. Is there such a mod that would accomplish both of these things? It would be great if one or two of the info mods I am requesting above handled this.

If Bazooka or something similar is as lightweight as it gets - fair enough, I was just hoping there might be something lighter. For me the mod InfoBar which is no longer maintained would be perfect, but it is missing the Social aspect.

Anyways - thanks in advance for your suggestions!

"I will crush and destroy and...ooo...shiny..."

11-12-11, 04:45 AM   #2
Barjack
A Black Drake
Not really sure about the possibility of an all-in-one type solution to this problem. There may be one, but I suspect you may have to do with the Broker method given the specificity of what you're after.

If you're looking for a light-weight Data Broker display addon and don't mind Lua-based configuration you can use cargoShip. All anchoring and positioning and sizing etc. is done in Lua, it just handles the updating of the data strings. Normally I don't suggest it but I noticed you worked with oUF in the past so it's probably not above your comfort level. Of course, it depends how willing you are to get your hands dirty for such a simple type of addon.
11-12-11, 05:08 AM   #3
Tadedra
A Cliff Giant
Broker_Everything: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...FanUpdate.html
  • ZoneText
  • GPS
  • Durability
  • Mail
  • Calendar
  • Bags
  • Dual-spec
  • Tracking
  • XP
  • Gold
  • Clock
  • Location (coordinates)
  • FPS
  • Latency
  • Addon memory usage
  • Friends
  • Guild

The concept of lightweight alludes me. I checked the memory usage and it was 345kb. You can use a /command to remove anything you aren't wanting to watch. Hope it helps
11-12-11, 07:14 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

What exactly do you mean by "lightweight"? Any computer capable of running WoW is also capable of running hundreds of addons simultaneously. Only the most complex (eg. addons like Recount that must respond to thousands of events per second) or poorly written addons will ever have any noticable impact on your computer's ability to run WoW.

Static memory usage is a completely meaningless number that tells you absolutely nothing about how an addon will affect your framerate. Even increasing memory usage is mostly meaningless, unless your computer has so little RAM that it's thrashing your hard drive(s) to constantly access swap files. CPU usage is the only useful statistic as far as addon performance is concerned, and I'm not aware of any published Broker display addons or plugins (for the features you listed) that are so complex or poorly written that they will have any effect on your FPS.

Just use the addons that have the features you want. If you start seeing reduced framerates, or other real problems, then look at the actual resource usage of your addons using an in-game performance monitor, and replace the poorly performing addon(s). Until then, there's really no reason to abandon addons you are familiar with and like. Smaller numbers are just smaller numbers. They're not inherently "better" and generally won't change anything.
11-12-11, 09:46 AM   #5
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
What exactly do you mean by "lightweight"? Any computer capable of running WoW is also capable of running hundreds of addons simultaneously. Only the most complex (eg. addons like Recount that must respond to thousands of events per second) or poorly written addons will ever have any noticable impact on your computer's ability to run WoW.

Static memory usage is a completely meaningless number that tells you absolutely nothing about how an addon will affect your framerate. Even increasing memory usage is mostly meaningless, unless your computer has so little RAM that it's thrashing your hard drive(s) to constantly access swap files. CPU usage is the only useful statistic as far as addon performance is concerned, and I'm not aware of any published Broker display addons or plugins (for the features you listed) that are so complex or poorly written that they will have any effect on your FPS.

Just use the addons that have the features you want. If you start seeing reduced framerates, or other real problems, then look at the actual resource usage of your addons using an in-game performance monitor, and replace the poorly performing addon(s). Until then, there's really no reason to abandon addons you are familiar with and like. Smaller numbers are just smaller numbers. They're not inherently "better" and generally won't change anything.
I agree my choice of lightweight may have given the wrong impression. You are right, PC processing power on the machines I play WoW on will be little affected by whatever mods I load. I guess I was searching for something that was didn't have a lot of options and frills, just the information I required.

Thanks for the responses though - I will do some trial and error with the various suggestions, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a mod that met my requirements precisely - and truth be told I was kinda curious what other people were using

Cheers!

11-12-11, 01:03 PM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

To cover Gold spent/acquired/totaled etc and also auto sell greys and auto repair using guild/personal funds I prefer Auditor. Which also has a nice LDB layout and choices as to what is seen.

For showing friends, guildies, etc online I always find myself using Broker_SocialState.

As to the display portion of it all, I lean more towards bar types. I blame the original Titanpanel and Fubar from when I started WoW, lol. ChocolateBar is my favorite though any LDB display will work.
11-13-11, 01:14 AM   #7
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
To cover Gold spent/acquired/totaled etc and also auto sell greys and auto repair using guild/personal funds I prefer Auditor. Which also has a nice LDB layout and choices as to what is seen.

For showing friends, guildies, etc online I always find myself using Broker_SocialState.

As to the display portion of it all, I lean more towards bar types. I blame the original Titanpanel and Fubar from when I started WoW, lol. ChocolateBar is my favorite though any LDB display will work.
Thank you - Auditor is great actually - covers three things in one mod - I like it.

I ended up with Bazooka because I wanted a small bar I could change the width of and move around - very nice.

Thanks again!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Lightest mods for simple information display