05-28-09, 12:55 PM   #1
Oompaw
A Kobold Labourer
Basic Quest Map, hold the bloat.

Carbonite was AWESOME back when you could get the free version that was stripped of all the advanced features and was just a basic quest map. What I wouldn't give to have that back and be rid of all this excess bloat. The annoying thing is once I get all the bloat turned off with the current version, the basic quest function also stops working.

All I want is a map with quest locations on it. I want my default quest log, default quest tracker. And, I want pie. Lots and lots of pie.

*** ok, so a reload and the quest map miraculously starts working. ( guess it had to reload the quests). Though I'd still love to see a lite version again. Fantastic quest mod otherwise.

Last edited by Oompaw : 05-28-09 at 01:04 PM.

05-28-09, 02:57 PM   #2
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'm pretty sure that the only other addon to do this is Questhelper, and the last time I checked it it was far more bloated than Carb while not having 1/10th the features.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

05-28-09, 05:14 PM   #3
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yeah Carb is nothing compered to Quest Helper.

Currently QH is taking 26mb of memory and Carb is at 9mb.

If you have enough system ram addons are not going to make much of a difference in how the game runs. You graphics card and CPU are more of the culprit.

I have enabled and disabled a variety of addons in the quest to get more FPS from the game (especially in Dalaran) and nothing has done anything considerable to add a few more FPS to make it worth disabling.

But the chances of seeing a lite version is pretty much < NIL. (AKA never gonna happen). Because of the lack of revenue with the new Donation system forced upon them by Blizzard they have now more or less moved on to new PAYING projects to support themselves and their families. This has led to less time to develop Carb. Carb WAS their full time job that paid the bills and mortgages.

05-28-09, 05:32 PM   #4
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post

If you have enough system ram addons are not going to make much of a difference in how the game runs. You graphics card and CPU are more of the culprit.
This is not accurate. Addons do use cpu cycles and if they use enough of them it will affect your fps. Even if all the addons used are low on cpu usage, the total combination of them can have an impact. This means it's best, if you use a lot of addons, to get the ones that are most lightweight.

Also note that memory usage of addons has an affect on cpu usage, as addons that use and release alot of memory frequently will cause the garbage collection to happen more frequently than if you weren't using them, and this also takes cpu cycles.

Ultimately, addons can have a huge impact on your fps and it's reasonable to want to keep each addon as minimalistic as serves your desired function as possible in order to prevent your addons, in totality, from completely wrecking your fps in game.

I have a very powerful system and yet I was able to get a huge fps increase by taking the time to profile my addons and replace most of the ones that were high on the list of memory/cpu with ones that were much more cpu-friendly. My fps in game went from fluctuating in a range of 30 to 60 fps to fluctuating in the range of 60 to 120 fps, simply by managing my addons. I have my video settings at Ultra (and then a few like horizonfarclip tweaked even higher), so obviously I could have gotten similiar results by just turning down some settings. But my system should be able to run those video settings without sweating. And it can, as long as addons aren't over-bloated monstrosities for what they do.

Edited to mention that I"m not saying Carbonite is one of those. Especially when compared to QH, which hits both memory and cpu in a much, much bigger way than Carbonite...despite the fact that it does so much less.

Last edited by stormkeep : 05-28-09 at 06:02 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Basic Quest Map, hold the bloat.