06-26-19, 11:57 PM   #21
Lybrial
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
But why restricting nameplates anyway? Whats the sense of blocking these API calls?
I mean the restricted API calls are very basic functions. Can you do anything evil with it?
06-27-19, 05:09 AM   #22
LanceDH
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I can't link to the original post because the old forums got moved, but there's a post from Lore explaining things:

Posted by Lore
With Patch 7.2, we’re disabling the ability for addons to modify the appearance of friendly nameplates while inside dungeon and raid instances.

While, for the most part, we’re impressed with -- and encourage -- the creativity that addon authors bring to the game using the addon API, occasionally an addon goes too far in terms of automating or trivializing elements of gameplay that are meant to be highly challenging. Recently, we’ve become aware of a couple addons that were using visual adjustments to friendly nameplates as a method to automatically coordinate complex positioning requirements. This caused what was intended to be a difficult test of a group’s ability to identify positioning requirements on the fly to instead become a simple matter of following a visual marker.

In order to prevent this from continuing, we’ve had to disable the ability for addons to modify how friendly nameplates appear while inside of dungeon and raid instances. Nothing has changed outside of dungeons and raids – addons will still be able to customize the appearance of friendly nameplates everywhere else (most notably in PvP, where they’re most commonly used in ways we don’t consider problematic).

We also don’t anticipate that addon authors will need to update their code to accommodate this change; customizations should simply stop working once a player zones into a raid, and start working again once they’ve left. However, if you’d like to double-check, this change should now be active in the current 7.2 PTR environment.
06-27-19, 11:16 AM   #23
Lybrial
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Ok but first: This is about friendly player nameplates, im talking about the personal resource nameplate and second: Its not only in dungeon. Its restricted everywhere now.
06-27-19, 12:24 PM   #24
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Sadly this breaaks addons like Obelisk Quest which helped a lot for me.

https://wowinterface.com/downloads/i...liskQuest.html
06-30-19, 03:53 AM   #25
tordenflesk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
Sadly this breaaks addons like Obelisk Quest which helped a lot for me.

https://wowinterface.com/downloads/i...liskQuest.html
Kib_QuestMobs works just fine for me.
06-30-19, 05:04 PM   #26
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
Kib_QuestMobs works just fine for me.
Obelisk seems to be working, but I'll keep that one in reserve just in case.
07-01-19, 04:07 PM   #27
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 View Post
Obelisk seems to be working, but I'll keep that one in reserve just in case.
As long as we're suggesting addons that add quest information to nameplates, you could also try the original QuestPlates

To stay on topic-ish, the official reason anchoring is being restricted for nameplates is in response to addons drawing lines between them during boss encounters (and potentially providing more information about unit positioning in the game world than intended).

Last edited by semlar : 07-01-19 at 04:17 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Finding Frames of other Addons and overwriting their position