06-03-09, 02:13 AM   #1
rccola
A Defias Bandit
Angry Updates addons automatically by default - WTF?!

So I love a good addon updater and tried Minion and ... what were you thinking??! It updates them automatically by default. And since your database isn't as good as, say Curse's now about 40 are reset to earlier versions. Which breaks things.

Now I'm having the Curse Client fix the mess Minion made and won't be running Minion again for LONG time if ever. GG
06-03-09, 02:16 AM   #2
Squishiman
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by rccola View Post
So I love a good addon updater and tried Minion and ... what were you thinking??! It updates them automatically by default. And since your database isn't as good as, say Curse's now about 40 are reset to earlier versions. Which breaks things.

Now I'm having the Curse Client fix the mess Minion made and won't be running Minion again for LONG time if ever. GG
And thats why u read before you download Beta programs......
06-03-09, 02:41 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Rather than type it all out again:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...06&postcount=9

It is supposed to be off by default. We haven't heard of anyone else having it on when they first installed.

Instead of just ranting, could you perhaps give us some helpful details so we can find out why it was on for you when no one else has had the problem, please? Things like what version of the core program, which version of the wowi module, your operating system, etc? Thank you.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 06-03-09 at 03:20 AM.
06-03-09, 02:50 AM   #4
rccola
A Defias Bandit
Angry

Originally Posted by Squishiman View Post
And thats why u read before you download Beta programs......
And HELLO, what is a beta program doing automatically applying it's updates by default? With no opportunity to say "no thanks" upon running it immediately bent my addon folder over and began ramming.

Curse client: gotta pay for update all.
WowMatrix: gotta push a button to update all.
Every other addon updater over the last four years: no default autoupdates.

It's like a *duh* sorta thing. Just don't do it.

Looks like it hosed a bunch of libs too. An hour later and I'm still trying to recover.
06-03-09, 03:49 AM   #5
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's not supposed to be applying anything automatically, it's not designed that way and neither myself or anyone else (except you), has witnessed such a behavior, as far as I'm aware. I'm not denying that there is no chance this is happening, yet you aren't providing any details that can be helpful (for instance OS, Core version, WoWI module version, when exactly you noticed that the AddOns folder was "bulldozed", post your log file located @ %APPDATA%\MMOUI\Minion\log.txt (Windows) so we can hopefully determine what happened etc). Are you absolutely positive that you did not accidentally push the "Update" button ?

Regardless, keeping a backup of the AddOn folder (plus your savedvariables inside WTF) is a common practice, especially when testing out beta applications.

Last edited by Tristanian : 06-03-09 at 03:53 AM.
06-03-09, 04:12 AM   #6
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
And HELLO, what is a beta program doing automatically applying it's updates by default? With no opportunity to say "no thanks" upon running it immediately bent my addon folder over and began ramming.

Looks like it hosed a bunch of libs too. An hour later and I'm still trying to recover.
If you had backed up your folders like was recommended you wouldn't be recovering from any mess.

Just sayin'.
06-03-09, 04:14 AM   #7
Ashareth
A Kobold Labourer

It seems until now you are the only one experiencing this, so either it's a glitch/bug (surprising ina BETA right ?? ) or you ****ed up somewhere.

Anyway, you SHOULD have made a backup of the WTF/Addons folders prior to testing the client, since as it's stated everywhere in bold, colors and such, it's a BETA and is meant to be TESTED not used like a release, and on another point, noone, neithere WoWI nor the only dev of the updater owe you anything, so stay polite.

If you are not happy, you are free not using it or going somewhere else to get your addons....

(at least we won't have to read the nonsense you spit at everyone).

No one can be deemed responsible for mistakes YOU made (not backing up your folder).

PS : I'm just a normal user, and the above text only reflect what I think, not the dev or WoWI team, but i'm pissed of at the fact that when trying to do what's need to be done with MMOUI Minion (aka, test it and report it, meaning you have to check beforehand if the bugs you found are not yet reported, hence reading threads here) half of them are from insightless, lazzy and agressive people with nothing constructive in them, blaming others for THEIR mistakes a 12 years old child sould not make anymore....
06-03-09, 04:28 AM   #8
rccola
A Defias Bandit
Installed Minion and ran. It didn't detect the Wow directory by default (possibly because I'm booted into XP directly running my Wow installation under Vista on it's boot drive; didn't install under XP) so I had the opportunity to examine Minion settings before updating the dir. There was only AutoUpdateWithoutConfirmation (unchecked) which referenced this issue. I gave it the right directory and it updated the addon list and requested privileges for the addon directory and wowinterface.com which I granted (I'd read about your Security Manager). It immediately performed UpdateAll which I didn't recognize due to window flipping (several tasks).

I checked my keystroke log and apparently clicked a UpdateAll control belonging to Minion before going into its config. I tested and Minion will indeed perform an UpdateAll if you start with a blank addon list, click the button, then update the directory in Options. Appears I must've hit it accidentally while switching window focus or something.

I assumed it went for a default update at first, my apologies.
06-03-09, 12:24 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Apology accepted, and thank you for being a big enough person to admit it. A lot of people wouldn't have, so big kudos to you.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
06-03-09, 07:34 PM   #10
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I assumed it went for a default update at first, my apologies.
Nice of you to admit it my friend.

Now.

This time back up your WTF and Interface folders before playing with it again. :wink:

Yes I know minonion doesn't touch the Interface folders but when dealing with beta software better safe then sorry !

I also have a copy of my Wow folder on a backup as well.

PS Doesn't the security manager tell you what folders its going to access ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 06-03-09 at 07:38 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Updates addons automatically by default - WTF?!