04-24-09, 12:36 PM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Star Wars

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I love Star Wars related games. I have been waiting on SW:TOR to be playable since it was announced being in development. In the meantime, I've been looking at one of my old favorites that is somewhat controversial... Star Wars Galaxies. I dislike all the changes they put in place over the years, though, and I miss the old system it used for crafting and combat. That was the best sandbox environment ever, imo.

So, here I am, looking through the web at old stuff that used to make me spend more hours in a game than WoW ever did, and was as enjoyable to me as space flight for astronauts. I find old videos, screenshots, all the normal tidbits of nostalgia.. and then I come across what appears to be exactly what I was dreaming about... SWG, as it was before all of the changes (read, screwed up nerfs).

Now I'm looking at this website, thinking, wow, this is gonna be awesome! But, how long can it last? Is it legal? Are they running a private server like some often do for WoW (which I'm adamantly against)? I don't -know- all of the answers to these questions, but I've started trying to figure them out... because I want to play this game (which is playable now, in Alpha). I don't, however, want to violate IP and play it, just because it is awesome and brings me some nostalgiac feelings.

Has anyone else been looking at the SWGEmu project? I'd ask this, there, but they don't allow these discussions, due to nerdrage in their developers and losing groundtime from the discussions taking precedence over development, or simply losing developers from the attitude they present during the discussion (my guess, it wasn't stated).

A FAQ from their home.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/faq.php?faq=swgemu_basics

PS. I'm asking here also, because I respect and trust the opinions of most of the members of this site, and it just feels like home. If this discussion isn't welcome here, I completely understand, and I won't come looking to burn any houses down .
04-24-09, 12:54 PM   #2
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

I can relate to your awesome need for Star Wars. I like it so much, I play the TTRP that's based in D&D 3.5 rules...

04-24-09, 01:07 PM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
I can relate to your awesome need for Star Wars. I like it so much, I play the TTRP that's based in D&D 3.5 rules...
There's a "Terrorist Threat Response Protocol" for Star Wars? That is amazing! (yeah, I'm a former military geek).

Seriously though, I don't know much about TTRPs, but if it's like a tabletop SW similar to D&D, that would have to be awesome.
04-24-09, 02:02 PM   #4
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
There's a "Terrorist Threat Response Protocol" for Star Wars? That is amazing! (yeah, I'm a former military geek).
You know... I was in the Air Force, and when I typed out that acronym, I thought to myself, "Surely, no one will confuse the two in this environment." Kudos to you for chasing the pun. You're bloody brilliant.

Seriously though, I don't know much about TTRPs, but if it's like a tabletop SW similar to D&D, that would have to be awesome.
If you find yourself a good GM to run the story, it's absolutely amazing. I think TTRP Star Wars has been one of my richest RP experiences. My richest would have to be LARPing White Wolf games in the national chronicle, though. (My nerd epeen is long...)

04-24-09, 02:42 PM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You know... I was in the Air Force, and when I typed out that acronym, I thought to myself, "Surely, no one will confuse the two in this environment." Kudos to you for chasing the pun. You're bloody brilliant.
I was a nuke mechanic on an LA class submarine. I was in when the towers were hit, and stayed until 2002, June (was not allowed discharge until 6 months or so after my time was "up". I know TTRP very well, in that application.
04-24-09, 04:56 PM   #6
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

I was a nuke mechanic on an LA class submarine. I was in when the towers were hit, and stayed until 2002, June (was not allowed discharge until 6 months or so after my time was "up". I know TTRP very well, in that application.
You have a far more intimate knowledge of TTRP than I. I had a cush assignment in Monterey, Cali as a Chaplain's Assistant. >< C'mon... Let fly with Chair Force jokes. I know. I earned it. LoL I should note that I did not join until after the towers incident. That was one of my deciding factors.

04-24-09, 05:46 PM   #7
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

Not so sure about the SWGEmu, but I'm another longtime SW fan who can't wait for the release of TOR. I'm reading Outcast and Rule of Two right now (yes, switching off between two books at once), and it's just making it worse. Hmmm, maybe time to take a night off from WoW and play some KotOR.

I really enjoyed SWG, for all of the repetitiveness and grinding. It was such a different world, and what I loved most was the scope for roleplaying. There is so much development of the worlds so far for TOR that I'm hopeful to have at least some of that again. I'm also really looking forward to flying with my friends. I don't want SWG 2, by any means, but I can't begin to explain how much I'm looking forward to gaming in SW again.
04-24-09, 07:16 PM   #8
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You have a far more intimate knowledge of TTRP than I. I had a cush assignment in Monterey, Cali as a Chaplain's Assistant. >< C'mon... Let fly with Chair Force jokes. I know. I earned it. LoL I should note that I did not join until after the towers incident. That was one of my deciding factors.
I can't bring myself to make jokes about -any- military service. I have family from every branch, even the Coast Guard and Border Patrol (yes, I know they aren't -really- the military, but they serve the same role here at home).

Originally Posted by Jesamyn View Post
Not so sure about the SWGEmu, but I'm another longtime SW fan who can't wait for the release of TOR. I'm reading Outcast and Rule of Two right now (yes, switching off between two books at once), and it's just making it worse. Hmmm, maybe time to take a night off from WoW and play some KotOR.

I really enjoyed SWG, for all of the repetitiveness and grinding. It was such a different world, and what I loved most was the scope for roleplaying. There is so much development of the worlds so far for TOR that I'm hopeful to have at least some of that again. I'm also really looking forward to flying with my friends. I don't want SWG 2, by any means, but I can't begin to explain how much I'm looking forward to gaming in SW again.
Also loved the RP of SWG. It, to me, was just a whole different kind of RP. I felt like a normal individual after RP in that game, whereas other games have made me feel silly after partaking in RP. C'mon, it's Star Wars, and the range of 'emotes' in that game made it incredibly easy to RP without having to say a word while -in character-. If I can't find anything -ethically- wrong with it, I'll probably play both SWTOR and SWGEmo. I think I'll do a support role and RP more on SWGEmo, and get more into the combat of SWTOR.

I've played around a bit on the emo to see if it was what they claimed it was, and it seemed to be pretty stable and packed with people in the cities, checking things out/helping with testing. My concern is just that I don't want to participate in something unethical.
04-24-09, 11:10 PM   #9
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SWG was an awesome game and my first MMO. I loved how you could build and decorate houses, had often led me onto adventures of exploration just looking at how others had decorated their house, and sometimes you would find things like this or like this.

I had two characters, my first was an armorsmith, while I kept the second as a combat charater with scouting/ranger to be able to gather hides for my armorsmithing. Was usually rifleman, really loved that profession, maybe it had something to do with my +11 riflespeed mabari belt XD

P.S.: Guess where my avatar is from
04-24-09, 11:35 PM   #10
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Aezay View Post

P.S.: Guess where my avatar is from
Pearl diving?

That's what our guild would call our Krayt expeditions. I can still remember my first krayt dragon kill. There were 6 of us, and we didn't think we'd get it to half health when we went to the valley.
04-25-09, 05:57 AM   #11
Felasy
A Murloc Raider

Thumbs down

Star Wars is so stupid i played a game of it a year of 2 ago STUPID
04-25-09, 07:49 AM   #12
Soulofsin_007
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
SWG was awesome pre-nge, after they brought that in it ruined the game.

after the NGE, I stopped playing.
04-25-09, 09:35 AM   #13
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Felasy View Post

I only played a trial of SWG back in the day, and I barely got to do anything. I was always interested in it, though. I'm actually interested in what will happen with SWGEmu. I know it's been in development for a while.
04-25-09, 09:52 AM   #14
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Felasy View Post
I actually agree. When Sony broke the game by implementing the NGE (New Game "Enhancements") in 2005, I could not stand to log in anymore. The SWGEmu is completely rewriting the game to it's original state, which is why it is taking so long (and it's all volunteers coding it). The original SWG, before NGE, and CU, was amazing. It is by far the most complex sandbox environment crafting and combat system ever to be played. And almost limitless things to do in the game.

And now, Sony's version (official version) of SWG is just child's play. I think it's sad how most games get so dumbed down as they "progress" through time.
04-25-09, 10:10 AM   #15
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Spectro View Post

I only played a trial of SWG back in the day, and I barely got to do anything. I was always interested in it, though. I'm actually interested in what will happen with SWGEmu. I know it's been in development for a while.
It has been growing, and has survived much drama and underhanded 'attacks'. I think they've overcome the worst of it all and are on the last leg of their development so that it can actually be a 'remake' of a great game. When I installed the game and ran their patches, I was not expecting to log into something that was playable AND fun, I was expecting lag and really buggy gaming, after all, it's in alpha. What I saw, though, was a game that was nearly exactly as it was when I first played it back in early 2004. Everything they implemented in the test center works, some bugs, some things perfect. We'll see how it goes when they continue the new (original) implementations. I just hope when they get it "finished", I can find no reason to not play it, in regards to ethics.
04-25-09, 10:56 AM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Soulofsin_007 View Post
SWG was awesome pre-nge, after they brought that in it ruined the game.

after the NGE, I stopped playing.
Same here. I was one of the top droid engineers on our server and had lots of fun playing with friends and not having to fight to progress if I didn't want to. Had a bio engineer too and pet handler. Pretty much all of my characters were killed off when they changed it. They lost 10 accounts from me and my fiance with that fiasco.
04-25-09, 01:57 PM   #17
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

I just hope when they get it "finished", I can find no reason to not play it, in regards to ethics.
As much as it sounds neat, I really dread grinding another master tailor. :P

One of my favorite things I ever did in SWG happened before mounts and vehicles were even introduced. I had a medic/combat profession and ran with a rifleman friend, and we did almost everything in-character. We decided to go do the Jabba theme park one week. We stocked up and headed out to Wayfar, and it took longer than we expected. I ran out of stims. Remember me saying this was before mounts and vehicles? Instead of running all the way back and flying to Corellia, I spent several hours gathering materials locally to make more stims since I had a droid to act as a crafting station. Gathering moisture by hand on Tatooine is a little painful. They weren't the createst stims, but I had such a feeling of accomplishment and really felt an immersive sense of 'living off the land'.
04-25-09, 02:33 PM   #18
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yeah, grinding is a pain in most any game. I don't think I'll grind much this time around, though, and just go and do what I please. It really was the best game to be a noob in, no huge expectations from anyone and plenty of things to occupy yourself with.
04-25-09, 02:35 PM   #19
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

Very true. I just liked having a master tailor for all of my rp-gear needs.
04-25-09, 02:38 PM   #20
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

LOL, you made me think of a Wookiee in hawt pants and a chef's hat.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Star Wars