10-13-10, 11:10 AM   #1
barduck
A Murloc Raider
Carbonite replacement addons thread

Hello,

With the lack of updates to Carbonite and no response from the dev, I for one, am not going to just wait for an update which may never come.

Is it possible to compile a list of addons that would replace various features of Carbonite?

Quests - QuestHelper
Map - ?
MiniMap - ?
Guide/Hud - ?

Everything else?

Thanks

10-13-10, 11:14 AM   #2
S@thi
A Theradrim Guardian

Yes please..
Will bookmark this topic and hope for some good suggestions.

Been looking so far at
wow pro ( levelling tool )
sexy map ( map tool )
wowhead looter ( webbased quest everything tracker )

10-13-10, 11:15 AM   #3
zybron
A Kobold Labourer
Questhelper will not be updated for 4.0.1 unless someone other than the current developer picks up the addon.

I'm going to try Mapster, Gathermate2, TomTom, and Lightheaded as a quasi replacement for Carbonite (until it is updated, I hope).

10-13-10, 11:41 AM   #4
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Really the only thing I used Carbonite for for the last year or so was the map functionality. Mouse-wheel scrolling, zoom in for minimap style detail and the ability to rescale the map to any size that suits you are all must-haves for me, and there are currently no other map addons anywhere close to this. Which is pretty surprising.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

10-13-10, 12:16 PM   #5
S@thi
A Theradrim Guardian

well just got lightheaded and tomtom running...
No pointers / no routes hehe it's like back in thee old days.
What I miss most is indeed the zooming function pretty much like google earth...
also installed gatherer and sexy map...
Currently awaiting any info on altholic

10-13-10, 02:55 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Really the only thing I used Carbonite for for the last year or so was the map functionality. Mouse-wheel scrolling, zoom in for minimap style detail and the ability to rescale the map to any size that suits you are all must-haves for me, and there are currently no other map addons anywhere close to this. Which is pretty surprising.
Squeenix, and that's all I've got to say. Except for, well, y'know, BlizzMap detail just ........ sux? But, it does the rest of it.

10-13-10, 03:11 PM   #7
DaringSoule
A Kobold Labourer
Quest helper Dead
sucked in comparison to Carbonite anyway.. is it getting updated?

10-13-10, 03:17 PM   #8
tscad
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by barduck View Post
Hello,

With the lack of updates to Carbonite and no response from the dev, I for one, am not going to just wait for an update which may never come.
Where do you get this information from? I have yet to see a post from a developer who says that they ARE NOT going continue development. On the contrary I have seen posts where they have stated that they plan on continuing development into Cata. Many addon's have yet to be updated. Carbonite is more complex than most because of how it integrates into wow. Give them some time and maybe a release will come. I know if I was a developer and saw all these people looking for alternatives on my forum I would say F* it ... let them go. I have seen countless "nobody's" posting that they are not going to release a new update. They need to stop imo.

More people should be supporting the developers instead of bashing them and maybe they'll put out a release.

References:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35324
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34338

10-13-10, 03:50 PM   #9
barduck
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by tscad View Post
Where do you get this information from? I have yet to see a post from a developer who says that they ARE NOT going continue development. On the contrary I have seen posts where they have stated that they plan on continuing development into Cata. Many addon's have yet to be updated. Carbonite is more complex than most because of how it integrates into wow. Give them some time and maybe a release will come. I know if I was a developer and saw all these people looking for alternatives on my forum I would say F* it ... let them go. I have seen countless "nobody's" posting that they are not going to release a new update. They need to stop imo.

More people should be supporting the developers instead of bashing them and maybe they'll put out a release.

References:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35324
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34338

Oh please, give me a break. I am not complaining or bitching, just trying to be practical. An addon that was significant part of our game and covers multiple aspects of it is no longer working, it only makes sense to be prepared and look for alternatives.

And I don't have any information beyond what I read on these forums. You do realize that the "developers' statement" you refer to in those threads are 2 months old, right? I don't expect and certainly don't demand my addons be updated the moment the patch hits the servers (although they certainly had time to prepare with all the info they need being on the PTR for some time) but I do think that even if the product itself is free of charge, the devs have certain responsibility to their community and that being at the very minimum coming to the forums and stating their plans regarding a something that many people got use to having.

10-13-10, 03:55 PM   #10
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Nope there really is nothing that can replace the Carbonite map, I really came to rely on having the ability to see where I was going without having to constantly look to the main map screen. Even without the addition of POI's, gathering nodes, quest giver locn's etc, this map was an absolute must for me. Also especially once you reach Icecrown Carbs ability to allow you to create waypoint routing around the many daily quests makes actually doing them much quicker and easier.

Also, as far as I know nothing else provides a quest database like Carb's and this too is a must if you have any intention of attempting the Loremaster achievements.

Last edited by TrotskyIcepick : 10-13-10 at 03:58 PM.

10-13-10, 04:01 PM   #11
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Folks really need to calm down. The Carb devs either will decide that it's viable to continue or not depending on a lot of variables. These guys have real life obligations outside of Carbonite and let's face it, this addon is a massive piece of work to maintain especially since Cataclysm will revamp EVERYTHING in the World of Warcraft.

I hope they do decide to maintain it as it would be a huge loss to the community to see it die. But at the same time, searching for alternatives is perfectly acceptable untill and unless there is a definite yea or nay on the issue.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

10-13-10, 04:13 PM   #12
barduck
A Murloc Raider
Can we please keep this thread to list alternative addons that can replace various features of Carbonite? There are plenty other threads that discuss whether Carbonite will be updated or not and the merits of the developers, or lack of them.

Thanks

10-13-10, 04:14 PM   #13
SkinnRodd
A Murloc Raider
Looking for a bundle that will fill in the current gap between patch time and a carbonite update is a pain, furthermore the lack of carbonite while playing is not much fun. It seems like our options are limited again, because I can't find anything that comes close to Carb.

10-13-10, 04:49 PM   #14
Kythlyn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
As a temporary replacement for Carbonite's questing features I am using the following:

BetterQuest: With a bit of patience in configuring, this Quest Tracker will show quests by proximity.

TomTom: Waypoint arrow.

QuestPointer: Automatically feeds TomTom waypoints for the closest quest objectives (enable in options). Also adds waypoints and pinpoints objective locations on the minimap.

10-13-10, 05:48 PM   #15
Annyonne
An Aku'mai Servant
More functions

Routes
Has not been updated yet, but interfaces with Gatherer or Gathermate and makes really good gathering routes. Requires TomTom if you want an arrow. IMO much better than carbonite's route system.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...01-Routes.html

I'm soon going to test Metamap. Not sure what it does / does not do.
I really just want Carbonite's maps... not a fan of so many other features.

10-13-10, 07:42 PM   #16
Holycannoli
A Defias Bandit
How about a replacement addon for Punks detection? Besides the map features that's what I used Carbonite for the most since I play on a pvp server.

10-13-10, 09:04 PM   #17
Gho123
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
MAPS!!!!!!

^^ That's really what I miss most about Carbonite is the maps! If you can fix nothing else, at least fix that!

10-13-10, 09:29 PM   #18
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Spahut
Yeah, which ones zoom in and out the entire map?
Originally Posted by ChaosInc
I was planning to start a replacement thread tonight when I got home, but seems someone beat me to it. I will still post later, but it's kinda hard to do that now while I'm at work doing this on my phone during breaks.
So, I've been called out to put my money where my mouth is with replacements for Carbonite functionality. Challenge accepted. I will do my best, but do put the disclaimer that I realize not all have been updated as of this post and may well not be. My point is to simply prove that replacements do exist. I'm not doing your research for you, so I will be providing ONE example replacement. Go find the rest on your own.

Successful
Node Tracking - Gatherer
Punks - VanasKoS (and more configuration options, might I add)
Warehouse - Altoholic
Quest Help - Lightheaded
Map resizing/reshaping - Varies, all depends on user preference. Do a search for map addons on just about any site. ( I recommend Chinchilla, personally)
Objective Mapping - Blizz UI
Watcher w/Quest Items - Blizz UI
"Crazy Taxi" arrow - TomTom
POI mapping - HandyNotes
Map Zooming - Blizz UI (Yes, I realize you can't zoom all the way out to the world map. However, if you need to do that why not just open the damned map in the first place?)
Items - LootLink
Battleground/PvP - See Map resizing/reshaping, but obviously replace the search with "PvP" and/or "Battlegrounds" (I used SSPvP before Carbonite)

Unsuccessful Replacements
Path Routing (arrow lines)

So for the most part, I failed to find ONE function to replace. I think that's pretty damned good.

WAIT! I did one more search after typing that and I found one.

Successful Replacements
Path Routing - Routes (available on Curse)

There you have it. Replacements for Carbonite functions. Now everyone who had the "OH YEAH????" replies may now apologize to me and the others and tell us how your foot tastes.

Can we let this die now, especially with the "rumor" of confirmation of Carb in Cata? Thanks.

10-13-10, 09:36 PM   #19
WanderingNewbie
A Defias Bandit
Has anyone found a Addon replacement for the little feature on Carbonite that showed you where the quests givers were and what quests you had completed?

10-13-10, 10:04 PM   #20
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by WanderingNewbie View Post
Has anyone found a Addon replacement for the little feature on Carbonite that showed you where the quests givers were and what quests you had completed?
Everyquest and it's brother/sister addon Everyquest_QuestGivers. All the info is on their download page here on WoWI.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite replacement addons thread