Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
05-30-09, 10:46 AM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Apraxia View Post
3. nUI's default scaling on my resolution settings (1680x1050 widescreen) is absolutely HUGEEEEE. I realize and have been (frustrated though) instead reverting to working with the manual UI scale slider in blizz's video settings panel, but this is just pissing off two many other addons in WoW and MOST do not have their OWN scaling configurater to then go fix them as well to all be a decent size relevant to the whole UI. Suggestions? QQ think this might be a SoL issue but can't hurt to ask
The "Use UI Scale" option in the video interface section has *no* affect on nUI. Or it shouldn't. When you change that scale and then reload your UI, nUI should recalculate its layout scale and come out looking exactly like it did before you changed the scale. The *only* thing that video option affects is the Blizzard screen elements like quest log, vendor and quest giver frames, character sheet, etc... the windows and dialogs that nUI does not manage.

I'm not sure why nUI's scale is "HUGE" unless you're using a large monitor. In any event, you should only use the "Use UI Scale" slider to modify the scale of the things nUI *isn't* responible for to size them the way you want them. To scale nUI itself, you should be using the built in features for scaling like '/nui hud scale {n}' '/nui hud hgap {n}' and '/nui bagscale {n}' which will size the primary elements.

Changing the scaling of the dashboard, itself, is another matter. However, there's already a FAQ that deals with that in painful detail at http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20917

2?'s directly to Scott
: I just want to get a verbal yay or nei to 2 things I was wanting to toy with but wanted to get the clear from you first. One, is it okay to hide an entire frame element in the UI for the purposes of a customized layout but more so for certain skins ect? Example: I want to hide the whole micro menu on the top console, but DO NOT want the top console hidden or even on mouse over (I plan to have my broker bar at the top with the menu there) I still want the art and even the hud display change button clearly and always visable.
Generally speaking, yes it is okay to hide screen elements. The simple display of screen elements is generally not tied to their functionality other than the obvious, if it isn't displayed, you can't see the functionality. There are a couple of exceptions to that... the special bars and the main action bar being the two key ones. Not displaying those has side effects that would break other functionality in nUI.

If you comment out the section that lays out the micromenu in [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > nUI_Layout_Default_Console.lua ], I suspect it wouldn't break anything. Not a promise, but I don't think it would.

[quote]and second: My skin I did came out pretty cool, but it's not lookin so hawt with the way some of the anchoring or semitransparent placement graphics beneath some elements are done. Is it okay for me to either 1. hide those all together, or 2. add different colored hues to them manually to compliment or blend to the skin, or 3. Manually myself further enhance and add more transparency to them as to not stand out on my skin so badly?[quote]

You can modify the graphics that are used in nUI to your heart's content. I do *not* recommend replacing the graphics included with nUI as that can have all kinds of side effects. Rather, you can edit the skin files and change the references in them to use the graphics you want to use instead of the ones that come with nUI.

For example, if you wanted to lose or change the transparent backgrond behind the player and player pet unit frames in the solo unit panel, you would edit [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > UnitPanels > Solo > nUI_UnitPanel_Solo.lua ] where you will find this...
Code:
        [nUI_UNITFRAME_SOLOPLAYER] = 
        {
            anchor = 
            {
                anchor_pt   = "TOPLEFT",
                relative_to = "$parent",
                relative_pt = "CENTER",
                xOfs        = -570,
                yOfs        = 53,
            },
            options = 
            {
                skinName  = nUI_UNITSKIN_SOLOPLAYER,
                enabled   = true,

strata    = nil,
                level     = 3,

unit_id   = "player",
                party_id  = nil,
                raid_id      = nil,

scale     = 1,
                clickable = true,

popup =
                {
                    anchor_pt = "BOTTOMRIGHT",
                    relative_pt = "CENTER",
                    xOfs = 0,
                    yOfs = 0,

color = { r = 0, g = 0, b = 0, a = 0.75 },
                };

background =
                {
                    backdrop =
                    {
                        bgFile   = "Interface\\AddOns\\nUI\\Layouts\\Default\\Art\\nUI_BevelboxBg.blp", 
                        edgeFile = "Interface\\AddOns\\nUI\\Layouts\\Default\\Art\\nUI_BevelboxBorder.blp", 
                        tile     = true, 
                        tileSize = 1, 
                        edgeSize = 12, 
                        insets   = { left = 0, right = 0, top = 0, bottom = 0 },
                    },

color =
                    {
                        border = { r = 1, g = 1, b = 1, a = 1 },
                        backdrop = { r = 0, g = 0, b = 0, a = 0.35 },
                    },
                },
            },
        },
If you remove or comment out the "background = {}" section, that will entirely remove the transparent background behind those unit frames. On ther other hand, you could tweak the "a=" elements of the border and the backdrop colors to change their level of transparency or change the "bgFile" and "edgeFile" textures to use entirely different artwork.

This is true of pretty much every piece of artwork used in nUI... the bar textures, borders, backgrounds, etc. You just have to find the correct location and make the changes you want.

Ultimately, this is exactly what's intended for nUI is the ability to do this to create custom alterante skins. At first using hand edits and later using GUI tools. However, until I finish the layout engine and the ability to save custom alternate skins, you're stuck with having to do it inside the files nUI provides. Later you'll be able to create a copy of them and hack away at them to your heart's content.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Customizing Layouts » WARNING: Clippy the CRIT CHICKEN crittin' the forum with a WALL OF TEXT