04-25-10, 01:14 PM   #1
Sideshow
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Calculating combat time for DPS, in particular for hunters and warlocks

Hello

I made my own DPS meter. I used and still use Recount to verify numbers.
My addon is now at the point where 99,9% of the cases, the damage done by players in the party, is exactly the same as Recount. I'm talking about all summoned pets (mirror image, totems, etc) and hunter/warlock pets included, verifying friendly fire as well and some other tricks. Complete package.

Now, for DPS , I see that my addon calculates pretty much the same values as Recount.
Most of the time, the DPS is more or less the same, except in these 3 cases:
- the player did extremely low damage. For example: the healer did 5000 damage during the whole fight. Recount will show 95dps or something, my addon will show 600dps. I'm fairly certain that Recount is wrong. A level 80 player will never do 90dps, even in the wrong spec and with wrong gear.
- the player is a hunter
- the player is a warlock
So, as for the last two cases, it is clearly something involving their pets.
To give some numbers: if Recount says the hunter did 5300dps (pet included), my addon will most likely tell he did 5000dps (pet included). Without the pet, both addons will display around 4800dps.

This brings me to the point of this thread, discussing my own time calculation.

Per player, I have 3 variables:
damage done, time spent attacking (3.5 secs minimum), time-stamp of last attack
Now when the player (or his pet) attacks, I add the damage, pretty obvious
Then I will add time like this (even on a missed attack, because this also affects dps): totaltime = totaltime + (time-stamp of current attack MINUS time-stamp of last attack).
However, if the last attack was more than 3.5 seconds ago, I will just add 3.5 seconds.

As said, this method gives me close to 'perfect' results when comparing to Recount for all other classes. (Like for a rogue, Recount says 3560 dps, my addon will tell 3540 or 3600...)

So, not in doubt about the awesomeness of the Recount-addon and all it's features, I do have questions about some little numbers, and I hope some people here could enlighten me about this matter.

Last edited by Sideshow : 04-25-10 at 01:17 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Calculating combat time for DPS, in particular for hunters and warlocks