05-27-10, 06:35 PM   #2301
Ulostthegame
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations

Newest one, going for a cleaner look, hopefully not too cluttered.

05-27-10, 06:43 PM   #2302
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Crap, I just lost the game.

Anyway, that screenshot is definitely less cluttered. Nice spacing of all the elements and whatnot, although the UFs do seem a bit too far apart. Might just be me, though.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

05-28-10, 12:39 AM   #2303
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Okay, as I mentioned about 2 weeks ago (or was it last week?), here's the "fixed" version of my UI. I've made a few adjustments to it, detailed below.

PLEASE! Comments and Criticisms desired, and actively worked on! :-)

Major changes:
New buffs - not lined up against a nonexistant top-center minimap cluster, no timer bar
New global font - Blue Highway, found in Seerah's "PocketPlot" addon, but I may go back to the font from my previous SS (SF New Republic)
No outline in Skada bars (using Empty texture instead of Outline)

Minor changes:
alignment of action bars and UF's
resize action bars to be same width as Player/Target UF's
readjustment of UF alignments/placements (minor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_052710_122813.png
Views:	855
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	4324  

05-28-10, 01:31 AM   #2304
Wella

Overall pretty nice improvements and I really like those textures. Still one or things which bug me, such as using coloured borders around the auras (the colours in the icons themselves should be enough, really). Also, it's hard to distinguish at a glance which Unit Frame is which. I mean, you probably get used to it after using it for a while, but at first it's a bit confusing having all those Unit Frames which look exactly the same very near to each other. Maybe class colour some frames and not others, or simply modify the sizes? Also, I'm guessing that the big blue background is for the health and the smaller bar is for the power? Very nice idea and good use of UF space. Lastly, I would say it's better to use bars on a damage meter, otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste of space and using bars allows for quicker comparison.

There are a couple more tiny things which bug me but they're more to do with my OCD so I won't bother you with them.

PS: You should make it more obvious that your avatar is Richard, it took me a while to figure that one out. Maybe use a more distinguishing image.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

05-28-10, 07:10 AM   #2305
Kendian
A Molten Giant

C&c

Ant criticism and comments, please? It's exactly what I need, for all classes, (I have all at 80, except a 70 pally) But I'd like to know what ya think, I'm a self professed clicker, so I like having all my info where I can access it~ My thanks, in advance, for your time~
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen 1.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	984.1 KB
ID:	4325  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 2.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	756.7 KB
ID:	4326  

05-28-10, 08:45 AM   #2306
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
Ant criticism and comments, please? It's exactly what I need, for all classes, (I have all at 80, except a 70 pally) But I'd like to know what ya think, I'm a self professed clicker, so I like having all my info where I can access it~ My thanks, in advance, for your time~
I think your setup looks fantastic! I had no criticisms until I viewed your second screenshot and saw the bags..... they don't match the UI. Having everything match gives your user interface some fluidity. After all, we go through the headache of customization because the default looks horrid. =)

Just something to think about!

05-28-10, 08:47 AM   #2307
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It wasn't my UI, but I'd like to respond to your points, Wella.

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Overall pretty nice improvements and I really like those textures. Still one or things which bug me, such as using coloured borders around the auras (the colours in the icons themselves should be enough, really).
Should be enough for what? The icon skin matches the rest of the UI with it colored teal. Makes it more uniform. (Granted it *is* a slightly different texture than what's on the action buttons.)

Also, it's hard to distinguish at a glance which Unit Frame is which. I mean, you probably get used to it after using it for a while, but at first it's a bit confusing having all those Unit Frames which look exactly the same very near to each other. Maybe class colour some frames and not others, or simply modify the sizes?
I admit, it did take me a few seconds to register which was which, but then I paid more attention to what I was looking at. The left is player, the right is target (with ToT above). The inner 4 (which are a different size from the other two) are party. I don't think he needs to color the bars by class color. The names are already class-colored, and if the bars were, it would take away from the color theme of the UI.

Also, I'm guessing that the big blue background is for the health and the smaller bar is for the power? Very nice idea and good use of UF space.
I particularly like how the player castbar is set up. I would like to point out though, Taryble, that the red aggro-glow border is overlapping the elements around that unit frame, since everything is so close together. I don't remember what you could do in the Stuf settings instead to remedy that...

Lastly, I would say it's better to use bars on a damage meter, otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste of space and using bars allows for quicker comparison.
It's a threat meter, not a damage meter. (Tank is on top, sitting at 100%.) The bars don't have a texture, but they are there - you can see the spark sitting at the end of each bar. I would also like to mention that bars don't matter if the list updates to order names by threat percentage. As long as your name isn't at the top, you're fine. Also, if it *were* damage meters, you shouldn't be looking at damage meters in combat anyway, which would mean that you should never have to take a "quick comparison". So... IMO, bar textures may just be an extra layer for your brain to process in this case.

There are a couple more tiny things which bug me but they're more to do with my OCD so I won't bother you with them.
You seem to like UIs with lots of gray colors. Don't forget that other people may actually enjoy color. Also, don't forget that UIs are based on preference. Sometimes your comments/criticisms come off as though you know what's best for the other person's UI better than they do. But thanks for realizing that it was just your personal OCD that made you want to criticize certain things.

PS: You should make it more obvious that your avatar is Richard, it took me a while to figure that one out. Maybe use a more distinguishing image.
I can tell it's Richard... Maybe that's the image that Taryble likes? I have no clue who your avatar is. But... does it really matter?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-28-10, 09:19 AM   #2308
Wella

Wow, I've never had a post of mine ripped into in such a savage way. (Joke.)

Originally Posted by Seerah
Also, don't forget that UIs are based on preference. Sometimes your comments/criticisms come off as though you know what's best for the other person's UI better than they do.
Aren't all UIs based on preference? Therefore isn't the point of this thread just to give your own opinions on a UI, rather than actually telling someone to change something? (Which I was not doing, or at least did not intend to.) This also must mean that your comments about my comments are also about personal preference, therefore there is no right or wrong. I think that the auras should not have any colour around them, but you think they should (or that it doesn't matter). Neither is right nor wrong: we both have very good reasons for our arguments.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

05-28-10, 09:45 AM   #2309
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

Aren't all UIs based on preference? Therefore isn't the point of this thread just to give your own opinions on a UI, rather than actually telling someone to change something? (Which I was not doing, or at least did not intend to.) This also must mean that your comments about my comments are also about personal preference, therefore there is no right or wrong. I think that the auras should not have any colour around them, but you think they should (or that it doesn't matter). Neither is right nor wrong: we both have very good reasons for our arguments.
you posted here expecting criticism

05-28-10, 09:50 AM   #2310
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Guess I'll have to try harder...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

05-28-10, 09:51 AM   #2311
Ulostthegame
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I can tell it's Richard... Maybe that's the image that Taryble likes? I have no clue who your avatar is. But... does it really matter?
His avatar is Alligator from One Piece, l2manga :P

05-28-10, 09:55 AM   #2312
Wella

Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
you posted here expecting criticism
I was joking around. >.<

Also, it's actually Zoro.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

05-28-10, 10:06 AM   #2313
Valandris
A Fallenroot Satyr

My UI (revised)

I decided to change my background colors to black (faded) and kept everything else red. I also decided to push my center elements down and move my third action bar (combat nonessentials) to the side. I also moved my raid frames (now 25 man supporting) to my left side and merged party with raid frames (so it shows raid frames in a group instead of the party frames). The gap between my player, target, tot, focus and my action coolline cd bar is intended for Skada (threat display in combat, dps out of combat) and my player and target class timers. My MSBT notification and static displays (to alert me on various things) are in the center as well, and surrounding the whole shebang are incoming and outgoing displays for MSBT. So a lot of things do fire up when I go into combat, which is how I like it. Sleek and uncluttered when inactive, able to show everything I need in combat when I need it, and with a sci-fi touch that I'm refining often. I opened various windows in the screenshots to show more stuff off.

05-28-10, 10:09 AM   #2314
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Bags

Is this what you had in mind? Or did I completely miss the point, lol?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen3.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	4328  

05-28-10, 10:09 AM   #2315
Ulostthegame
A Theradrim Guardian
I was joking around. >.<

Also, it's actually Zoro.
Zoro has hair like that? thought his was lime green O.o

05-28-10, 10:10 AM   #2316
Wella

Much nicer layout and overall good improvements. I personally think the red's worse, because it's a colour which stands out so much, but I suppose it adds some flare to the UI, too.

Edit: I think it's just a bad image.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

05-28-10, 10:21 AM   #2317
Valandris
A Fallenroot Satyr

Much nicer layout and overall good improvements. I personally think the red's worse, because it's a colour which stands out so much, but I suppose it adds some flare to the UI, too.

Edit: I think it's just a bad image.
It could be the image. The total red was a bit loud, and I like the borders, and since I made the faded black background, it helped it out a lot by allowing some contrast to bring out the borders better.

05-28-10, 10:45 AM   #2318
Wella

Sorry, I actually meant that my avatar could be a bad image, thus not showing Zoro's hair's true greeny goodness. But whatever. :P
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

05-28-10, 11:17 AM   #2319
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, joking or not, I did not intend for it to be considered that I was ripping into your post. If it was the manner in which I replied to your post, consider it just accurate/point-by-point comments instead of a general response.

And, yes. My opinions are also just that - opinions. I merely try to look at things objectively and provide the other side of it. Whether you intend something or not, posting only text on the internet takes away from the intent of your message - therefore, you must be careful in the way you word things. There are others, too, whose "comments and criticisms" make it sound as if they are telling the poster that they have to change things. I actually enjoy reading posts by those who defend their choices and provide reminders that it fits their play style and explain why it works for them.

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't try to type longs posts as soon as I get up in the morning... I didn't intend for the thread to get off-topic. Now I guess I'll finally go in search of some caffeine.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-28-10, 11:34 AM   #2320
Wella

Haha, it's all cool. <3 I'll admit though, I'm the kind of person who deep down believes that they are still right. xD

Edit: Sorry, I also need to l2manga, my avatar is a guy known as Captain Smoker (hence the two cigars).
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

Last edited by Wella : 05-28-10 at 04:29 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...