04-07-24, 11:59 AM   #1
Sharpedge
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Need some advice....

I hope this is the correct forum to put this in.

I am not going to use any names, or the names of the addons involved. I will say that this pertains to my work. I have a couple of addons that are exclusive to PVP. One of the addons is pretty simple, the other is pretty involved. Another "dev" has taken both of those addons and rewrote them saying they are outdated in his descriptions. The fact is, he/she is lying, both are updated for 10.2.6, and I'm pretty active on adding new features.

All my code is uploaded to GitHub, has been for years. I know people can take said code and do whatever, per say. But, how can they take that code, restructure it like it's their own? Then upload it to Curse as their own?

Reason I am bringing this up is due to having this happen when I was doing code on the Linux kernel for Samsung cell phones. We called it "kanging"....is what this dude doing the same thing? Am I tripping out over nothing?

I reported him on Curse. But I doubt anything will be done. Anyone have any insight on this?
04-07-24, 01:16 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Curse used to be "ok" with blatant cases of plagiarism or "fan updates" that are no more than .toc or similar.

At least when reported.
These days I got no clue, I have seen a bunch of addons posted though that are 9/10 copy-paste.

I guess you'll find out, don't expect real-time response.
04-07-24, 01:40 PM   #3
Sharpedge
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Yeah, I figured as much. The dude only has 2 addons, replicas of mine lol. Oh well, it makes you not want to make them anymore, just for personal use.
04-08-24, 09:10 PM   #4
sirpucna
An Aku'mai Servant
the best thing that person should of done is noted in their comments that their work was based on yours, common practice.

blizzard have a policy.

as i've understood, all your work belongs to blizzard anyway

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Need some advice....