11-20-08, 03:35 PM   #1
Morbeth
A Defias Bandit
Overall Tech Help - UI Failure

Hi, I have only been playing WoW since August and I hope to be the best healer I can be, but the Blizzard UI health bars are really hard to read. I also like gathering.

Currently I am trying to use these Addons:

Dominos (it is nice to move things about)
X-Perl UnitFrames (total addict to these)
Omni CC (seemed like a good idea)
GatherMate (i cheat)

Periodically all my action buttons freeze up. If this happens with a window open like need/greed that is inaccessible. If I die i can't accept rez. I can't exit the game from the game menu. Still, the hot-keys work

So when things are less dangerous I use alt+f4. While re-loading the game I often find the Blizzard Launcher is frozen. I ctrl+alt+del and stop wow.exe. The next re-load is working.

Blizzard suggests I delete my folders and that this is probably my addons. I am at a loss to do that again, I would rather take my chances I can politely exit game briefly for the sake of having readable health bars. Still this sucks for me.

Does anyone have any interesting insight into this thing? I would use any addon that makes the unit frames readable and doesn't lock up the buttons. I am not saying it is X-Perl , just I need to try something differently.

I can lose all else.

TY
11-20-08, 04:15 PM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Those addons should pretty much be safe, about everyone and their dog uses them. If you're happy with XPerl, then by all means just stay with it tbh.

If you really want to try with different addons I suggest trying Bartender (not as good as Dominos imo), Pitbull (bit heavier and harder to set up than XPerl, but more customization possible), don't really know a replacement for OmniCC, and Gathermate could possibly be replaced with Cartographer, though that is much heavier.
11-20-08, 05:13 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Morbeth,

You do not need to delete your addons or your settings folders. Just simply rename them. I'm also going to go on a limb here and guess that all of the addons you're using are the latest versions and you are also running with the latest video card and sound card drivers.

Rename the Interface and WTF folders (or you can temporarily move both folders to your desktop so you'll have them backed up). New folders will be recreated the next time you log in. You need to do this in order to rule out addons as the culprit(s) of the issues you're having. The only way to do this is on a fresh testing bed with a newly created default UI and fresh settings.

Delete the Cache folder. Sometimes files in this folder get corrupted and cause the game to either have issues or be completely unplayable. It's perfectly safe to delete the folder as it will be recreated the next time you log in.

Play the game for awhile and see if you experience the same problems. If not, then it's safe to say either something is corrupted in your WTF folder, or one or more of the addons in your Interface folder is the cause (by process of elimination you can figure out which one).

If you still continue to have issues after playing with a fresh default UI and settings folder, try running the repair tool located in the root directory of the game.

See if any of that helps you at all.
11-21-08, 12:54 PM   #4
Morbeth
A Defias Bandit
Perhaps it is my video card. I saw the problems first after the previous patch and think I may have read that there were some accommodations made for newer cards. Mine was dated generations ago but I could amuse myself with old game related art projects, now I need to consider today's gaming.

Thanks for the information and methods. In the mean time maybe I could make a Lua script to accept rez and bid on items. I've been looking into wow scripting (I have been gaming a while) though that is a big plate on the table.
11-22-08, 10:32 AM   #5
Fiercy
A Cyclonian

Try deleting your WTF, error, cache. and reinstall addons if needed. If none of this works i'd suggest to use the repair feature in wow "reset and repair"

I doubt it's a driver problem, now and days those errors were patched long time ago, and wow now includes its own Direct X installation so... idk : /
There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny. Each of those things are just a small part of it. I collect information to use in my own way. All of that blends to create a mixture that forms me and gives rise to my conscience.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Overall Tech Help - UI Failure