10-27-09, 06:08 PM   #1
zoril
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up No add on button - upgraded from trial to full - please help:)

Hi everyone Firstly I read the sticky thread and also some posts relating to the add on button disappearing, but none seem to help me. My problem is there there is no add on button on the bottom of the screen. I will tell you so far what I did and perhaps you can help me if I made a mistake...My computer is Windows XP SP3.

1.) After the 10 day trial I upgraded and since then I find no add on button.

2.) I do have currently two wow folders one being the trial and the other being the WOW...The WOW folder is not complete yet as currently the 7gb download looks like it will take several days to finish...

3.) I did remove the interface folder and restarted WOW and a new interface folder with the add ons inside was created, but no button at the create character screen. I was out of the game when I tried doing this.

4.) I tried removing a few other folders also CACHE, WDB, and WTF. Before removing the Cache file I had a look inside and there seems to be a WBD inside cache also (0 bytes), that is in the trial folders!

5.) I had to replace those folders back to the original place as the game seemed to be reverting back to the trial version, asking me to upgrade to the main version.

6.)The repair.exe option is not yet available - It currently shows as Repair.exe.part and is 869kb

7.) I currently have no additional add ons.

Any help would be very much appreciated...I would like to point out that my technical ability is distinctly limited......Howard

Last edited by zoril : 10-27-09 at 06:19 PM.
10-27-09, 06:18 PM   #2
BWarner
A Black Drake

Just wait for the full version to finish downloading and installing. When this is finished, you can move the Interface and WTF folders from the old WoW installation to the new one. This should copy all of your addons and their settings to your new installation. Enjoy!

(If you have a Wrath of the Lich King DVD, I'd recommend installing from that, even if it's a friend's. You'll save hours upon hours of downloading time, depending on the bandwidth of your connection.)

Glad to have you onboard, and a hearty welcome to both the WowInterface and the wider World of Warcraft communities!

The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

http://AeroWow.com/

Last edited by BWarner : 10-27-09 at 06:21 PM.
10-27-09, 06:29 PM   #3
zoril
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the prompt reply and the welcome. It is most appreciated...

My WOW shortcut currently is to the trial folder "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft Trial\Launcher.exe" I am wondering when this download is complete will I need to create a new shorcut? If so is it just the WTF and INTERFACE I would need to move to the new one, or would i also need to move WDB and CACHE?

I should have said currently I have just the upgrade to the original WOW, although I may go for the other two upgrades later...Also if the problem persists would repair.exe maybe resolve it?

I am assuming that the 7 gig download is in fact the full version of WOW, but I heard some people say it may also include future updates also...

Thanks again...Howard

Last edited by zoril : 10-27-09 at 06:33 PM.
10-27-09, 09:17 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, you will need to use a new shortcut to the new laucher. It will be located in the folder where the full version of WoW is being downloaded to. Also, using the downloaded client, you should be up to date with your patches (or at least mostly so). Whenever new versions of the game are released, you will have to download those patches as well. The next version will be 3.3, which is currently in testing.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-27-09, 10:31 PM   #5
zoril
A Murloc Raider
I think that I probably made a mistake somewhere re those folders.. I have another 2/3 gigs to download then maybe it might work again after I transfer those two folders interface and WTF..I will let you know...Your help is definitely appreciated....Howard
10-28-09, 02:31 AM   #6
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I read that you deleted the interface folder and a new one with addons inside was created.

Does this include addons installed by yourself as well, or only the default blizzard "addons". (Blizzard_...)

because if its only those in there, the button wont show because they aren't recognized by the client as being addons you can turn on or off.
10-28-09, 02:14 PM   #7
zoril
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Hi there Thanks for that information...I wasn't sure when the add ons button should appear and if it did for the blizzard addons! Since my last post I have the fully updated and patched version and included the odd add on like QuestHelper.

Now the add on button seems to be back...The only thing is I ran the repair.exe and seem to have 2 WTF and 2 INTERFACES now, (specifically INTERFACE, + Interface.20091028-190356 and WTF, + WTF.20091028-190356)....

Another issue that seems to have improved with the full patched install is that about 50 percent of the time I was getting the error#132 when loading the game. That seems to be resolved now....

Being a noobie, I read a number of the posts here and a few other places re addons like Carbonite, QuestHelper, etc...Opinion seems to be divided about whether they are legal or not! Although the consensus of opinion is that noone seems to have been banned for using QuestHelper. I would be interested in your own views?

QuestGuru (doesn't seem to show up as an add on for some reason) yet Quest Helper does. Do you know if it is meant to? I think I read somewhere that using both QuestHelper and Carbonite at the same time is not a good idea...Sorry if these questions seem trivial, but my knowledge is so limited....

You have all been a great help and it is very much appreciated. Have a good evening....Howard

Last edited by zoril : 10-28-09 at 02:16 PM.
10-28-09, 02:53 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by zoril View Post
Hi there Thanks for that information...I wasn't sure when the add ons button should appear and if it did for the blizzard addons! Since my last post I have the fully updated and patched version and included the odd add on like QuestHelper.

Now the add on button seems to be back...The only thing is I ran the repair.exe and seem to have 2 WTF and 2 INTERFACES now, (specifically INTERFACE, + Interface.20091028-190356 and WTF, + WTF.20091028-190356)....

Another issue that seems to have improved with the full patched install is that about 50 percent of the time I was getting the error#132 when loading the game. That seems to be resolved now....

Being a noobie, I read a number of the posts here and a few other places re addons like Carbonite, QuestHelper, etc...Opinion seems to be divided about whether they are legal or not! Although the consensus of opinion is that noone seems to have been banned for using QuestHelper. I would be interested in your own views?

QuestGuru (doesn't seem to show up as an add on for some reason) yet Quest Helper does. Do you know if it is meant to? I think I read somewhere that using both QuestHelper and Carbonite at the same time is not a good idea...Sorry if these questions seem trivial, but my knowledge is so limited....

You have all been a great help and it is very much appreciated. Have a good evening....Howard
Any time you run the repair tool, it will backup your Interface and WTF folders and add dates to the folder names. This way you do not lose your settings or your addons if/when repairs are made.

Carbonite and QuestHelper are both legitimate addons. They are not illegal to use. Anything that you find here on WoWInterface (which is an official Fansite listed at the World of Warcraft web site) is legal to use within the game.

As for QuestGuru, you more than likely have it installed wrong... folder within a folder or in the wrong folder altogether.

Wrong
E:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\QuestGuru1.2

Right
E:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\QuestGuru
E:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\QuestGuru_History
E:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\QuestGuru_History1

etcetera
10-28-09, 09:46 PM   #9
zoril
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Ahh right - I just checked... There are about 13 folder inside. I should copy and paste them into the add ons folder and do that when logged out! Thanks for that...

I was in two minds whether to chose Questhelper or Carbonite...Reading the Carbonite main page it seems they are not always compatible. However I guess like everything else to do with WOW as a noobie it is best taking things one step at a time...

Get to know Questhelper well first, then maybe try Carbonite after first removing Questhelper from addons or disabling it...Have a good evening...Howard

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » No add on button - upgraded from trial to full - please help:)