06-04-09, 10:43 PM   #1541
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Unlimited isn't really unlimited:
http://www.findmyhosting.com/truthunlimited.htm

Edit:
Curses! Beaten to it! Twice! Ah well I'm the only one that provided a reference.
This particular company that I've grown accustomed to using...let's just say that it's not your average "godaddy.com". They have some things that, even if the plans that I use are for small biz/churches/etc., make my job a LOT easier. They do have dedicated servers as well...
06-04-09, 10:44 PM   #1542
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
And of course, modifying code or doing things without telling the user or letting them disable it is just bordering on malware.
Don't forget it's also against certain (read: open source included) licenses
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-04-09, 10:44 PM   #1543
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
If no one else can get you to budge that last 10% (or 40, whatever) would you please do it for sweet lil ol me? Pretty please?

/roll up pants leg
A little higher....that's right...little more...little more...WAIT! Ur a freaking GUY! There goes another 20% JERK!
06-04-09, 10:45 PM   #1544
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
I'll give you one last thing for the 10%, then I'm out of this thread for the night.

Up until the last few months, they not only didn't give authors credit, they modified addon files that the client downloaded, REMOVING credits and donation links, changing the TOC number (something they shouldn't be doing), and in the worst cases, modifying the addon's code directly to change behavior or attempt to fix bugs. The client also changes wow settings and networking settings in Windows (I don't know about on mac). It does all of this WITHOUT the user's permission, knowledge, or giving them an option to disable it. The TOC changes are unnecessary, an option to toggle "load outdated" would solve that problem the correct way. The networking change is pointless as that issue is resolved by the game client on it's own. And of course, modifying code or doing things without telling the user or letting them disable it is just bordering on malware.
I said that too!
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...postcount=1531

*sigh*
06-04-09, 10:46 PM   #1545
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Psh, like 13 posts ago. Gawd.
06-04-09, 10:46 PM   #1546
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I read your post, Vyper...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-09, 10:46 PM   #1547
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by silentdabeast View Post
A little higher....that's right...little more...little more...WAIT! Ur a freaking GUY! There goes another 20% JERK!
Hey, c'mon!! I'm a woman dressed up like a guy pretending to be a woman!

What you're thinking is just wierd!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-04-09, 10:48 PM   #1548
Verissi
Premium Member

But see I'm not coming at this from the author's position. I'm coming at this from an enduser's position. I mean, what's the point of having a kitchen with a bunch of cooks who all like the kitchen, but with no one to eat the food? You can say "the food is for the other cooks", but then what's the point of a publicly accessible site? No one opens a restaurant and says "this restaurant is only for the staff and cooks." You open it for customers, and you cook because, hopefully, you love to cook.

IT WAS NOT BIGFOOT! How dare you throw that lie out to try and deceive!
It's a flawed analogy. In your scenario, I should let my "food" be delivered by another restaurant with a history that I don't want my work to be associated with because it's more convenient for the diners; yet that other restaurant is doing nothing for me in return. What's my incentive? The diners are still welcome to come here to "eat the food". Nobody's turning them away.

See, that's where you and others in the past fall off of the truck, so to speak. I care about the few that use what I've written, but I don't care enough to go against what matters most to me: how I use my free time. I choose WoWInterface because it cuts down on the amount of time I need to spend not playing the game myself and gives me a central spot with all of the things that I need to properly maintain what I've released. If users don't like that they have to come here, so be it, they're welcome to write their own addons or just pick another one that's similar, and I assure you that I won't lose even a wink of sleep over them making that choice.

WoWMatrix hasn't done a single thing that would save me any time, so again, why should I be inclined to host anything with them when it would only further reduce how much free time I have with no benefit at all? Even worse, if I exclusively hosted with them, it would mean even more work to duplicate the tools and infrastructure that they don't provide, but which are provided here already.

Oh, and I didn't say it was Bigfoot, but he was there and I know he was in on it!!11oneeleventy A few witnesses claim to have seen the Chupacabra...wonder what he was up to...
06-04-09, 10:49 PM   #1549
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I read your post, Vyper...
Glad someone did! Why can't you people stop posting when I'm typing?! For the love of god pay attention to ME!

06-04-09, 10:50 PM   #1550
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Hey, c'mon!! I'm a woman dressed up like a guy pretending to be a woman!

What you're thinking is just wierd!
I know what I saw! And it was definitely worth a boost of 95%!! God was good to you!...just a little better to me
06-04-09, 10:51 PM   #1551
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Verissi View Post
Oh, and I didn't say it was Bigfoot, but he was there and I know he was in on it!!11oneeleventy A few witnesses claim to have seen the Chupacabra...wonder what he was up to...
Elvis had big feet by the way...
06-04-09, 10:54 PM   #1552
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I know what I saw! And it was definitely worth a boost of 95%!! God was good to you!...just a little better to me
Bananahead! Now, THERES an insult!

06-04-09, 10:55 PM   #1553
silentdabeast
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Bananahead! Now, THERES an insult!
Psh...I can do worse, just get me a camera and a bottle of brandy. (not sure what that means).
06-04-09, 10:59 PM   #1554
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Come, young Skywalker. Give in to your anger. Come to the darkside....

We've got cookies!!!

06-04-09, 11:02 PM   #1555
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Heres another one for your 10%. they were (are?) modifying the config.wtf to suppress error messages. That file also contains your account name if you opt to let the client remember it for it for log in. Its a file they should never access on top of all the other things they shouldnt have modified.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-04-09, 11:12 PM   #1556
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Not to mention that their changing that option (hiding error messages in-game) combined with changing Interface numbers in the TOC (so nothing shows as out of date), and manually changing code in addons when updated through WM (to cover up errors, not necessarily fix them - it's not their place to fix it anyway) makes users think that WM is always updating their addons flawlessly. Instead, though, it just covers things up and gives users a false sense of security. When a hidden error causes problems, a user doesn't know why and they cry to the authors or the community or their guild, or just think that an author codes crap addons.

edit: but all of this stuff has been said before...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-09, 11:14 PM   #1557
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Come, young Skywalker. Give in to your anger. Come to the darkside....

We've got cookies!!!
QFT.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-04-09, 11:18 PM   #1558
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
QFT.
YEEHAWWW! Got me a new emote! Makes it all worthwhile!

06-04-09, 11:31 PM   #1559
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Damn all you emote thieves! That was mine!

Also, Vyper, I'm used to people posting the same stuff I post, they seem to have much better timing than me. I am quite relieved though, that no one asked for a link of me making an ass of myself.
06-05-09, 12:49 AM   #1560
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I found that on a smiley site fair and square to nyah!

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users