04-01-17, 08:02 PM   #1
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Modifying chat message before it is shown by others

Hi all,

So for this time I am attempting to make an addon that modifies chat message sent by myself before it is being displayed(?) on other player's screen for links like item, quest, etc.

The reason that I am trying to make this is because I am using a different client locale with others and those links that I send is created based on my locale, not theirs.

Clicking the link will display the tooltip on their own locale, but I am willing to avoid this.

I would say modifying chat message isn't that hard, but modifying link's display text within chat message would be a challenge here.

What was worse, I have to modify that display text from one locale to another in this specific case, thus I don't think it is doable.

Any idea, please?
04-01-17, 08:03 PM   #2
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Oops... this should have been posted on "General Authoring Discussion" page, not here.

Sorry haha...
04-01-17, 08:49 PM   #3
Lombra
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You want to translate links into a language other than that of your own client? That would not be possible, no.
04-02-17, 12:43 AM   #4
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Yeah, that's what I thought so as you will need an access to each locale's db which I guess is not supported in WoW
(unless you make your own db for that which is...)
04-02-17, 07:13 AM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The server is picky about accepting links, so it isn't a good idea to mess around with them. The best solution to relocalizing links is to do it on the receiving end so this wouldn't be a problem and you can easily convert link data into client-local names.
04-02-17, 04:52 PM   #6
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
So you mean that if I'd make an addon for this, it should be installed on receiving end's client, not mine?
04-03-17, 12:15 AM   #7
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Correct. It also would take care of an issue where not everyone receiving said message would be running the same locale.
04-03-17, 07:45 AM   #8
Jarod24
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Layback_ View Post
Hi all,
So for this time I am attempting to make an addon that modifies chat message sent by myself before it is being displayed(?) on other player's screen for links like item, quest, etc.

The reason that I am trying to make this is because I am using a different client locale with others and those links that I send is created based on my locale, not theirs.

Clicking the link will display the tooltip on their own locale, but I am willing to avoid this.

I would say modifying chat message isn't that hard, but modifying link's display text within chat message would be a challenge here.

What was worse, I have to modify that display text from one locale to another in this specific case, thus I don't think it is doable.

Any idea, please?

I wrote an addon that did the opposite; translated all incoming hyperlinks (items, achievements etc) into my own locale.
The reason; I run an English client, but other guildmates are running on Italian/German clients and it was confusing as hell when they linked me achievements that were in their language.

I stopped updating it because it was not that popular.
You can still find it here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ranslator.html

The addon basically would scan the incoming chat, lookup any hyperlinks if found on it's own and do a replacement if it's string did not match what the client returned on its own.
04-03-17, 02:29 PM   #9
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Sweet!

Thanks to both SDPhantom and Jarod24 for recommendations

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Modifying chat message before it is shown by others