05-13-20, 03:36 PM   #1
mikeheft
A Murloc Raider
How to log/track coordinates of spell

I'm working on making an addon to track the location of spells like Transcendence, Demonic Circle, etc. I am able to register the aura event, but can't find any reference to where the spell was dropped. Any help with this is appreciated. My wow API google-fu is still pretty new. lol.

PS - If you are also able to point me in the direction of how to render a color changing arrow that points towards the port, that'd be appreciated as well Thank you
05-13-20, 04:03 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I doubt there will be a way as that part of the system is probably behind the scenes coding outside of Addon Access.

As far as I am aware the only positioning info are for players ( https://wow.gamepedia.com/API_UnitPosition ) that have been attached to a unit id .. such as target, mouseover, raid1 etc.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will pipe up with what they know.
05-13-20, 04:09 PM   #3
mikeheft
A Murloc Raider
I know there used to be an addon of this for warlocks, but I can't remember name in order to DL the code and update
05-13-20, 04:44 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by mikeheft View Post
I know there used to be an addon of this for warlocks, but I can't remember name in order to DL the code and update
If that addon was from several expansions back it was likely made non functional by the changes Blizzard made in accessing part of the 3D world, as addons had been created that allowed people an advantage in dungeons and raids that was not intended by Blizzard. I can't recall when exactly it was but it was several expansions back.
05-13-20, 07:30 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Addons do not have access to the 3D world and do not know where a spell has been placed on the ground.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-13-20, 07:56 PM   #6
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

The best you can do is drop a TomTom waypoint when you cast the spell, but like others said, this won't work in instances.
05-14-20, 10:16 AM   #7
mikeheft
A Murloc Raider
So I should look at TomTom to see how they place a waypoint and reference it to create an arrow pointing to it? :/
05-14-20, 11:21 AM   #8
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

I assumed those spells are cast while you're standing on the spot, so you would just record your current position. If those spells are cast with you pointing with a cursor, then my idea won't work.
05-14-20, 03:05 PM   #9
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mikeheft View Post
Is this similar to what you were looking for?

nRange
05-15-20, 07:03 AM   #10
mikeheft
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Is this similar to what you were looking for?

nRange
Well this is embarrassing :P That looks like exactly what I was looking for :P

Thanks for that link! At least now, I can use the addon and inspect the code to see how it's done

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to log/track coordinates of spell