12-23-09, 12:34 AM   #21
Nexuapex
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
On a side note, our decimal system has the initially-weird consequence that 0.999… is well-defined, but 0.000…001 isn't. The reason for that is that while 0.999… is representable as an infinite series, 0.000…001 isn't—you can't keep adding anything to make the series continue, you have to keep multiplying (by 1/10). That make it unrepresentable as a decimal.

Incidentally, the infinite series 0/1 + 0/10 + 0/100 + 0/1,000 + 0/10,000 + ... isn't equal to 0. It's an infinite series, it doesn't equal anything. It does converge to 0, but it doesn't equal 0.
12-23-09, 12:44 AM   #22
Amenity
Originally Posted by Nexuapex View Post
Incidentally, the infinite series 0/1 + 0/10 + 0/100 + 0/1,000 + 0/10,000 + ... isn't equal to 0. It's an infinite series, it doesn't equal anything. It does converge to 0, but it doesn't equal 0.
It surprises me that you're willing to accept that 0.000...1 converges on 0 but does not equal zero, yet you cannot accept that 0.[9] converges on 1 but does not equal 1...and I've yet to see a convincing argument mathematically for it aside from "well, nothing breaks" (which isn't true...an if-then statement using n=1 won't fire if n=0.[9]).

I'm tired, brain no werk gud no moar, want...*yawn*...gimmeh teh Grunty, Cairenn...ZzzZzzzzzz....mreh...cookies in the kitchen, Seerah...I'm out of milk...

(Note: Don't assume I'm angry because of what my students like to call my "direct tone" in debate. Things like this are my idea of "fun". It's never personal!
12-23-09, 12:52 AM   #23
Nexuapex
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Amenity View Post
It surprises me that you're willing to accept that 0.000...1 converges on 0 but does not equal zero, yet you cannot accept that 0.[9] converges on 1 but does not equal 1...
9/10 + 9/100 + 9/1,000 + 9/10,000 + … ≠ 1.
0/10 + 0/100 + 0/1,000 + 0/10,000 + … ≠ 0.
(I'm not writing 0.000…001 up here because there's no way to express it as an infinite series. You need to write it as an infinite product. That's important.)

0.999… = 1. Well-defined under the decimal numbering system. I suppose one way to explain that is that, when using decimal notation, convergence is implied, primarily because everything that can be expressed with decimal notation is an infinite series that must converge.
0.000…001 doesn't make sense in the decimal numbering system, which doesn't account for multiplicative infinite series. I can't assert anything about it.

and I've yet to see a convincing argument mathematically for it aside from "well, nothing breaks"
Well, I can try. It depends on whether you think 0.[9] is a real number or not. If you hold that it isn't, then we're going to have to enter some weird nether-realm where a decimal number with a finite part and a repeating part doesn't equal a number. If you hold that it is, in fact, a real number, then let me know.

(Also, if you can formally prove that "nothing breaks" when you do something, then you've proven that it's valid.)

(which isn't true...an if-then statement using n=1 won't fire if n=0.[9]).
That isn't a mathematical argument. You have to formally define your terms. If we were in a computer, there'd be no way for a variable to hold an infinite number of nines…

Note: Don't assume I'm angry because of what my students like to call my "direct tone" in debate. Things like this are my idea of "fun". It's never personal!
Good to know.

Last edited by Nexuapex : 12-23-09 at 01:02 AM.
12-23-09, 01:11 AM   #24
Amenity
Meh, called up a buddy in the math department because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until I knew.

A tip of the hat to you, sir. I was indeed wrong.

3 * 0.[3] = 3 * (1/3) = (3*1)/3 = 1 <--- Fuuuuuuuuck.

I'm keepin' my ass in the astronomy lab. To hell with all you math guys. I still don't like it. (lol)
12-23-09, 03:18 AM   #25
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Ok, very simple:

Code:
1/9 = 0.[1]
2/9 = 0.[2]
3/9 = 0.[3]
4/9 = 0.[4]
5/9 = 0.[5]
6/9 = 0.[6]
7/9 = 0.[7]
8/9 = 0.[8]
9/9 = 0.[9]

9/9 = 1

1 = 0.[9]
To answer haste, I've never been on 4chan, I didn't know you meant it's overdiscussed there. All I know is the boxxy thingy.

New paradox:
To not get things overcomplicated, let's assume the chances of getting a boy and girl are even(in reality girls win by 2% or so).
I have 2 children.
One of my children is a girl.
What's the chance that I have 2 girls?
12-23-09, 05:49 AM   #26
Polarina
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
The chances are 25%.
12-23-09, 10:52 AM   #27
Soeters
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

2%, your wife must have cheated on you
12-23-09, 11:17 AM   #28
Sythalin
Curse staff

Never too calculus due to failing trig thanks to TWO different instructors basically telling me "well, if you don't get it, sucks to be you" instead trying to help me like I was originally asking for (tutoring, few more examples, etc).

Sad thing is, I understand this more than I did trig.
12-23-09, 11:20 AM   #29
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Actually, 50%, because the first being a girl is a given - the only chance we're talking here is the chance that the 2nd child is a girl. That's 50%.
12-23-09, 11:25 AM   #30
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
Actually, 50%, because the first being a girl is a given - the only chance we're talking here is the chance that the 2nd child is a girl. That's 50%.
^^ He's right.
12-23-09, 11:29 AM   #31
Nexuapex
A Fallenroot Satyr
I love/hate probability.

Four possibilities for two children, all equally likely:

Boy - Boy
Boy - Girl
Girl - Boy
Girl - Girl

Drop the Boy - Boy case because at least one child is a girl, and poof:

Boy - Girl: 33.[3]%
Girl - Boy: 33.[3]%
Girl - Girl: 33.[3]%

If we didn't have the information that one child was a girl, then the chance would be 25%.
If we had information that child #1 is a girl, then the chance that child #2 is also a girl would be 50%.
With the given information, the final answer is 33.[3]%.

(It's like the riddle—two coins add up to 30 cents, and one of them is not a nickel. What are the two coins? The answer is that one of them is not a nickel, but the other on is.)

Ooh, ooh, can we do the Monty Hall problem?

Last edited by Nexuapex : 12-23-09 at 11:32 AM.
12-23-09, 12:16 PM   #32
zero-kill
A Firelord

Definitive nature is impossible to predict, who's to say you won't have a hermaphrodite?
12-23-09, 12:19 PM   #33
Amenity
Oh God no...it took me for-eh-verrr to come to terms with that.
12-23-09, 12:37 PM   #34
Gandoch
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
New paradox:
To not get things overcomplicated, let's assume the chances of getting a boy and girl are even(in reality girls win by 2% or so).
I have 2 children.
One of my children is a girl.
You seem to be confused about what a paradox is.

Par-a-dox (par-uh-doks) -noun
  1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
  2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
  3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
12-23-09, 05:15 PM   #35
Amenity
Originally Posted by Gandoch View Post
You seem to be confused about what a paradox is.

Par-a-dox (par-uh-doks) -noun
  1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
  2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
  3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
Technically true, yes. However the meaning of the word has shifted slightly since it's become more of a part of the everyman's jargon.

My turn now:

There's a group of 23 people standing in front of you. How likely is it that any two of them share the same birthday?
12-23-09, 07:39 PM   #36
RPZip
A Kobold Labourer
A bit over 50%, although if you were to use an actual set of real people it'd be even higher as birthday distribution isn't uniform throughout the year.
12-24-09, 09:59 AM   #37
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
Wrong, you don't know wether the first or second child is a girl, and yes that matters.

I love/hate probability.

Four possibilities for two children, all equally likely:

Boy - Boy
Boy - Girl
Girl - Boy
Girl - Girl

Drop the Boy - Boy case because at least one child is a girl, and poof:

Boy - Girl: 33.[3]%
Girl - Boy: 33.[3]%
Girl - Girl: 33.[3]%

If we didn't have the information that one child was a girl, then the chance would be 25%.
If we had information that child #1 is a girl, then the chance that child #2 is also a girl would be 50%.
With the given information, the final answer is 33.[3]%.

(It's like the riddle—two coins add up to 30 cents, and one of them is not a nickel. What are the two coins? The answer is that one of them is not a nickel, but the other on is.)

For the full 100% right! Here, have a cookie!

Originally Posted by Amenity View Post
Technically true, yes. However the meaning of the word has shifted slightly since it's become more of a part of the everyman's jargon.

My turn now:

There's a group of 23 people standing in front of you. How likely is it that any two of them share the same birthday?
Let's assume leap-years do not exist to not get it overcomplicated.

It's easier to say what is the chance of any of them NOT sharing the same birthday.

The first guy can have his birthday without problems on 365 days of the year, so 365/365 = 1. The second guy 364/365, third 363/365, etc.
So person n has a chance of
Code:
(365-(n-1))/365
The chance of all birthdays being on different days is the multiplications of those chances.

So
Code:
(365*364*363*...*(365-(n-1)))/365^n
equals the chance of everything being on a different birthday.
Now let's write it easier(if you don't know what ! means, it's the symbol for factorial, google it).

Because
Code:
(5*4*3*2*1)/(3*2*1) = (5*4)
and
Code:
5*4*3*2*1 = 5!
We can write
Code:
365*364*363*...*(365-(n-1))
as
Code:
365!/(365-n)!
So it becomes
Code:
365!/((365-n)!+365^n)
Since this is the chance of every guy not sharing the same birthday, we must substract 1 by it to get the chance that some are sharing the same birthday:
Code:
1-365!/((365-n)!+356^n)
And we fill in 23:
Code:
1-365!/((365-23)!+356^23) ≈ 50,7%
12-24-09, 12:43 PM   #38
zero-kill
A Firelord

I don't get it...

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Math paradox