01-09-10, 08:48 AM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
code causes crash

I have heard people say code will not crash the client. I know thats not true. Or is it? or what in the world... so i have one person who has said the GrimUI causes a crash for them on every load. For awhile now i have been experiencing crashs after i /reload a few times. This morning i was working on my xpbar code more and something i did was causing it to crash on load every time. Ironically it was bug free or at lest according to bug sack it was. No errors in the xml log either. Took out hitsmode and it stopped crashing.

What this tells me is that something with the code is for sure the cause of the crash even if it means the code is overloading the ram for some reason. or something.... anyone have any more insight on exactly why the code can cause crashs.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01-09-10, 09:32 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you change that to "addon code shouldn't be able to cause client crashes" you're closer to the truth.

What it means is that the client controls the lua sandbox and should be immune to hard crashes from addon code.

In a sense addon code crashing the client is as much a Blizzard problem as it is the addon's.

That said it has happened in the past and there have also been addon authors posting example code on how to make it happen in the hopes Blizzard can make their own handling of the sandbox more robust.

I don't know how one could help you debug it without extensive code review and alot of guesswork.
01-09-10, 03:27 PM   #3
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

well i think part of the problem is ram. i think the multiple /reloads then crash is my personal ram issue...

I removed a few addons and it caused the crashing to stop or lessen.

Maybe the whole thing is ram related. to many errors and it overloads maybe?

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01-09-10, 05:30 PM   #4
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Does WoW spew out an error report?
01-09-10, 05:35 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

If you overload WoW with Lua errors from addons, it will actually pop up a dialog box warning you that the excessive amout of errors is likely to be slowing down your system, and offering to disable your addons and reload your UI.

Hard crashes with error messages complaining about RAM are more likely due to actual physical problems with your RAM.

That said, I have noticed (though I have absolutely no empirical evidence to back up this observation) that WoW tends to crash if you delete a Lua file that was present when it loads and reload the UI, so if you're developing, and renaming or removing files, that may also be a factor.
01-09-10, 06:54 PM   #6
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

hmm that maybe on some of the crashs since i do do that sometimes. i also think that my ram is history but... others are complaining about the crashing issue to.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01-09-10, 06:56 PM   #7
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

oh and you mean like the windows error msg? yes. does it spit out an xml error log? oh yea a big one. tons of people have errors in their xml logs lol. of course the grimui core does not at lest not now but...

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01-09-10, 07:14 PM   #8
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I've had a hard wow crash from wrong frame handling code, so it is possible. Probably best thing you can do is to let wow send error report and keep debugging your own code to find an error.
01-09-10, 08:42 PM   #9
Polarina
A Theradrim Guardian
Lua bugs.

A crash can also be caused because of a bug in the Lua implementation. Please check the Lua's bug site and check if what you're doing is listed there. World of Warcraft's Lua version's 5.1.1.
01-09-10, 11:37 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I've had a hard WoW crash by accidentally trying to load a texture larger than the 1024 limit (it was 2048).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » code causes crash