06-18-07, 04:47 PM   #1
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
How Do I Make My UI Fit All Resolutions?

Hey guys,

I have been trying to make my UI (Rosoaa's UI) fit all resolutions. Photek UI has 2 versions of 8.1, 1 for all normal resolutions and 1 for all wide resolutions. I have been getting requests to make my UI fit a certain resolution, which can be a real pain. My monitor currently only uses 1024x768 resolution in WoW, otherwise I have to resize my monitor and configure the WTF file. 1 file for the normal versions and 1 for wide is so much easier, instead of having a file for each resolution. It can get really confusing and screw things up. Not to mention if you have 2 different layouts. Thats like 20 files LOL. How do I make the 2 WTF folders fit all? And what is an easy way to configure the 2 folders.

Thanks
06-18-07, 05:02 PM   #2
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rosoaa
Hey guys,

I have been trying to make my UI (Rosoaa's UI) fit all resolutions. Photek UI has 2 versions of 8.1, 1 for all normal resolutions and 1 for all wide resolutions. I have been getting requests to make my UI fit a certain resolution, which can be a real pain. My monitor currently only uses 1024x768 resolution in WoW, otherwise I have to resize my monitor and configure the WTF file. 1 file for the normal versions and 1 for wide is so much easier, instead of having a file for each resolution. It can get really confusing and screw things up. Not to mention if you have 2 different layouts. Thats like 20 files LOL. How do I make the 2 WTF folders fit all? And what is an easy way to configure the 2 folders.

Thanks
The resolution doesn't matter. It's the aspect ratio. All resolutions at the same aspect ratio will configure the same. There are three commonly-used aspect ratios: 1.33 (normal), 1.6 (typical wide) and 1.25 (usually 1280x1024, surprisingly common). In my UI, I check the resolution upon installation and configure the add-ons conditionally in response.
06-18-07, 05:14 PM   #3
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
The resolution doesn't matter. It's the aspect ratio. All resolutions at the same aspect ratio will configure the same. There are three commonly-used aspect ratios: 1.33 (normal), 1.6 (typical wide) and 1.25 (usually 1280x1024, surprisingly common). In my UI, I check the resolution upon installation and configure the add-ons conditionally in response.
Where and what is the aspect ratio? Is it in the video options or is it configured throughout each mod? And does this mean I will need 3 different WTF files for each ratio? Also if I make the aspect ratios the way you said my UI will stay on the screen, even if someone uses a different resolution?

Last edited by Rosoaa : 06-18-07 at 05:17 PM.
06-19-07, 01:45 PM   #4
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes, aspect ratio is your width divided by your height. And if you make versions for those three aspect ratios, it will look correct for 95% of the people out there. In all the time I've had my UI configure stuff based on aspect ratio, I have only had 2 or 3 people who reported running at a different aspect ratio like 1.77 or something.
06-19-07, 02:04 PM   #5
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

How do I change the aspect ratio? Aspect ratio is all new to me, I have no idea where it is and how to change it.
06-19-07, 02:07 PM   #6
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

aspect ration is the width of your screen divided by the height of you screen like mazzle said.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-19-07, 02:18 PM   #7
Rosoaa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So, basically if I configure a WTF file for 1024x768, 1280x1024, and a wide screen resolution I am good to go? Doing that will also work with the other resolutions with the same aspect ratio?

Thanks for the help

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How Do I Make My UI Fit All Resolutions?