08-12-09, 07:00 PM   #1
Kiaos
A Murloc Raider

Wowinterface is fine but Curse is better!

Hello I have an premium membership with Curse using there curse client as it is safe and the Subscription I paid for goes to the Developers and they have an better bug reporting system than wow interface I would like The makers behind carbonite to take advantage of the Subscription money that I give curse. They have an good system for rewarding addon developers and there of course is an great system for donations in place for curse. Please consider my offer Curse is an great community and If maul does it why cant you? (Maul is the author of Macaroon! and he simultaneously updates on wowinterface and curse. But it's an bit late on curse)

08-12-09, 07:43 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unfortunately no matter how much people want Carbonite to be on Curse it will most likely never happen.

The Carb dev team already stated that WoWI is the only official place to get Carbonite.

08-12-09, 11:17 PM   #3
Jigain
A Molten Giant

In addition to what Sepioth said, I'd like to remark that you can donate to the Carbonite developers directly at the download site.

08-13-09, 05:37 AM   #4
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Kiaos View Post
Please consider my offer Curse is an great community and If maul does it why cant you? (Maul is the author of Macaroon! and he simultaneously updates on wowinterface and curse. But it's an bit late on curse)
Because they prefer to deal with only 1 website for support tickets and forums ?

Because programming Carbonite is time consuming enough without having to check 2 sites for support tickets , comments , file updates and forums ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-13-09, 10:27 AM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Vaguely reminds me of the WM users coming to the forums and asking authors to upload there.

Shouldn't be too much effort to go to another site for 1 addon. If it is you may have deeper issues you may need to look in to. Also, if you love carbonite that much donate directly. I'm sure they will appreciate it much more than you realize.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

08-13-09, 10:30 AM   #6
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Vaguely reminds me of the WM users coming to the forums and asking authors to upload there.
This. ^

I'm glad you're so happy with Curse. It's a shame I can't appreciate the same "great" service from them regardless of my financial status like I can here at WoWI.

08-21-09, 10:41 AM   #7
Scorpia
A Defias Bandit

Lightbulb Why the passive-aggressiveness?

RE: us2006027321
The curse client works whether or not you are a premium member.

Seriously I don't understand why authors don't take advantage of being in both communities. Both community management are amiable to one-another, both have the same goals. It's only their respective community members (some anyway) that have animosity towards the other community.

Both communities allow you to make your addon's homepage on their site to whatever you want, links to other sites included. Both communities allow you to enable or disable both comments on the addons and ticketing systems for the addon and/or direct users to other places to comment/ticket.

And most importantly, both communities allow you to set up paypal donation links that go directly to the author.

Why in the world would you not take advantage of the increased income and put that donate button everywhere you could?

Curse users are going to be using carbonite regardless of if it is available directly from curse or not. However, if it was available via curse, even if a delayed distribution, you would get an increased userbase. Increased userbase = increased donations. Period.

There are those of us, who are active everywhere in the addon community, who might even be original premium carbonite users, who would be happy to maintain the uploads on curse for you.

I mean, if i log in and see "there is a new version of carbonite", it would take me all of 5 minutes to log out, download and install the uploaded version from WI, and upload that same zip to the curse repository.

If you have any questions, concerns, etc., let me know.

08-21-09, 11:14 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
As a user of addons as well as a creator I felt more at home at wowinterface than anywhere else.

As a writer I have some of my more popular addons on curse with comments etc setup over there just in case someone feels like commenting on the addon. And that I did based on a request posted on the site from a user of the same interface I design extras for and not for personal choice. Sure it may end up being more work for me but on every addon page I have stressed that I spend my time on this site. If someone really needs to get a message to me can send it here. I only check my curse pages a few times a week, compared to a few times a day on this site.

As a user I check here for all updates to my addons. Manually mind you, as I stopped using downloaders months ago when wowmatrix was suggested as a cause for many a guild account hacking one week. Whatever addons are not hosted here I grab from curse. It takes but a few minutes and I do that once or twice a month. Where I spend most of my non game time on this site I generally download updates as I see them ready to go into the game the next time I decide to update the addons.

Whether wowinterface or curse is better than the other is purely up to the individual in question. I personally feel that wowinterface is better but that is my personal preference that I do not force on anyone else.

08-23-09, 12:40 AM   #9
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
Curse users are going to be using carbonite regardless of if it is available directly from curse or not. However, if it was available via curse, even if a delayed distribution, you would get an increased userbase. Increased userbase = increased donations. Period.
Like I said above , I think it comes down to them only wanting to have one website for everything relating to support for the addon.

One website to upload addon updates to.

One website to check for user's comments on.

One website to check user's tickets on.

Having it on 2 websites is IMHO dividing and complicating their support efforts. If it's only available through one website they don't have to worry about people leaving comments and things on any other website.

Having it on Curse would be nice but at the end of the day only having one website they need to check for support related stuff is infinitely better then having it on two - the users who primarly use Curse can just click a bookmark or go to http://carboniteaddon.com which will lead them here.

I really don't think you can use the argument that having it on Curse would mean more donations because everyone goes to http://carboniteaddon.com which has donation links and a link to the Wowinterface page anyway. They aren't going to be starting at Curse and trying to find it on Curse. They would search for "carbonite +addon" on Google. The Carbonite addon website the one where you click for donations is the first result that comes up.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-24-09, 01:39 AM   #10
fyrye
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Everyone has their own preference as to how they upload and manage their addons. Some do it souly on their own website like mobmap, and accept donations through it. Others such as atlasmod have their own site, and post on several other addon hosting sites.
To each their own goes the saying.
You could also go as far as saying post on wowace.come as it syndicates your betas and releases to curse supports svn and localization...
To say one is better than the other is your own personal preference.
Personally I despise curse.com ever since they launched their curse client, and the support of WAU was discontinued, which downloaded a bunch of out-dated addons overwriting the ones I had at the time for whatever reasoning. Since then I manually install the 1 addon I download from curse, which I recently learned the addon has its own site, so I guess no more curse for me.

As for the premium memberships, I never understood the concept on an addon site. Post on forums, download addons, submit trouble tickets. Yet the developers receive limited services that effectivly feed the addon site it's viewers. Such as a ticket system, etc. In the matter of WoWI you also receive benifits for the Alakhazam branch of sites which if you use them, is a faily nice set of services.

All in all this is a long winded post pretty much saying, everyone has their own preferences, just like in the real world, deal with them, or politely suggest directly to a developer that their addon may not be known to those outside of the curse network, and they may be missing some additional fundings/donations by not hosting their addon there as well.

Posting a vague topic such as WoWI is not as good as curse, will most likely go unnoticed by the developers who just got done looking at thousands of lines of code, and are just looking for any bugs they may have missed. As you can see no reply from a Carbonite dev after all this time.

08-24-09, 02:42 AM   #11
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by fyrye View Post
Personally I despise curse.com ever since they launched their curse client, and the support of WAU was discontinued, which downloaded a bunch of out-dated addons overwriting the ones I had at the time for whatever reasoning. Since then I manually install the 1 addon I download from curse, which I recently learned the addon has its own site, so I guess no more curse for me.
That's a bit of inflammatory subject for me given

a) Kaelten was paying for much of the traffic for files.wowace.com out of his own pocket
b) The costs for the bandwidth per month was easily in the thousands of dollars
c) The design of the packager meant it used a lot of unnecessary bandwidth
d) Good bandwidth does not come cheaply
e) The Curse Client is technically still in Beta. Expecting BETA software to be perfect is a little silly

So when I read that paragraph you just wrote there all i could think of was some entitled user crying that their wow matrix - like one button update was no longer working so they're going to hate Curse.

IMHO It's a little like saying you hate your favourite ice cream parlour for closing it's doors due to harsh economic conditions.

Please tell me I'm wrong

08-24-09, 03:13 AM   #12
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
IMHO It's a little like saying you hate your favourite ice cream parlour for closing it's doors due to harsh economic conditions.
To be perfectly fair, there was no indication of fyrye's opinion of Curse before the launch of the Curse Client. In addition, while economics may be the grounds for the change, it by no means affects the end user's experience of the change.

So to be frank, it's more like saying you hate an ice cream parlour for selling old ice cream.

08-24-09, 04:04 AM   #13
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
So to be frank, it's more like saying you hate an ice cream parlour for selling old ice cream.
That would imply they had much of a choice in choosing to sell old ice cream.

For Kaelten it was either close the doors of the files.wowace.com repository as it was (ie retool the whole wowace concept) OR ..... be in dire financial straits almost bankruptcy.

08-24-09, 05:01 AM   #14
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Don't start the curse/wm/wowint/wowace discussion again! please!

08-24-09, 05:18 AM   #15
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
That would imply they had much of a choice in choosing to sell old ice cream.

For Kaelten it was either close the doors of the files.wowace.com repository as it was (ie retool the whole wowace concept) OR ..... be in dire financial straits almost bankruptcy.
Like I said, the economy of the situation does not in any way affect the end user's experience of the change.

Or, to put it in the context you chose, maybe the ice cream parlour had a choice in selling old ice cream, and maybe they didn't, but that does in no way change the fact that they did.

08-24-09, 08:52 AM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
*ahem*

Anything you wish to say to/about Curse, you can do so on the Curse forums. Do I need to go through the effort of linking the forum rules?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-05-09, 03:37 PM   #17
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Existentialism (spelling?) aside, I can tell you that: I use the Curse Client (chose to be a Premium member) and ALSO use MMOUI Minion to dl and install from WoWI. I, personally, like to do my updates this way. One works just as well as the other, and I am well satisfied with both.

Economics aside, it is a PERSONAL choice as to what you do, how, where, why, and when you do it.

I don't believe either site is better than the other. They BOTH do the same basic thing.

That being said, I also believe that opinions are like............. Well, y'know, everybody has one.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-05-09 at 03:41 PM.

09-06-09, 12:54 PM   #18
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I guess I'm from the old-school and like to do things the hard way. But I would never use an auto-updater. I like to make my own choices and sometimes an add-on is updated which changes something in a way I don't like, and therefore I do not update.
I guess I have been using computers too long to let someone else make choices for me as to when or what I update.

(p.s. I don't use let Windows auto update either.)

09-06-09, 10:16 PM   #19
Ackis
A Cliff Giant

I don't think carbonite should be hosted anywhere as it's a clear violation of the UI polcies outlined by blizzard.

It clearly violates point 2 and I'm pretty sure it violated points 3 and 7 since the stupid thing insists on spamming me with addon messages.

09-07-09, 02:57 AM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Ackis View Post
I don't think carbonite should be hosted anywhere as it's a clear violation of the UI polcies outlined by blizzard.

It clearly violates point 2 and I'm pretty sure it violated points 3 and 7 since the stupid thing insists on spamming me with addon messages.
Care to elaborate on how it breaks those policies, and why you think that WoWInterface would host the addon if it's breaking those policies?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Wowinterface is fine but Curse is better!