10-28-08, 09:38 AM   #1
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
HOWTO: Troubleshoot issues with LightHeaded

LightHeaded is a complex addon with lots of moving parts. The following is a list of simple troubleshooting exercises you can use to diagnose an issue, and provide me with more information when reporting a bug.

The LightHeaded pages continue to flip back every few seconds
This is actually not a bug in LightHeaded, although in a future version I would like to find a way to resolve it once and for all. In this case there is another addon that is calling the SelectQuestLogEntry() function in response to time, as opposed to game events. This is bad programming on the part of that addon and that author should be notified. To show you this is NOT a bug with LightHeaded, you can follow the section of this guide entitled Isolating LightHeaded

LightHeaded's window is blank, or I can't see quest data
LightHeaded is either not installed properly, or you are encountering an error. Please first follow the steps in the section entitled Checking for errors followed by Ensuring LightHeaded is installed properly.

Isolating LightHeaded
  1. Log into WoW
  2. At the character selection screen, click the button to select a new realm
  3. Create a new character, any race, any class
  4. Click the "Addons" button to open the addon selection screen
  5. Disable all addons except for LightHeaded, LightHeaded_Data_A, LightHeaded_Data_B, LightHeaded_Data_C, LightHeaded_Data_D and LightHeaded_Data_E
  6. Enter the world with the new character, accept the starting quest and open your quest log.

If you don't see the addons listed above in the selection screen, following the section entitled Ensuring LightHeaded is installed properly.

Checking for errors
  1. Log into your character
  2. Open Interface Options by pressing escape and clicking "Interface Options"
  3. Navigate to the "Help" category
  4. Ensure "Display Lua Errors" is checked
  5. Click Ok
  6. Reload your user interface by typing /console reloadui into the chat box
  7. Report any errors that occur, with as much detail as possible

You can use an addon like BugSack or Swatter to get more information from an error message. You can also check the contents of the World of Warcraft\Logs\FrameXML.log file for errors that occur during the loading process.

Ensuring LightHeaded is installed properly

LightHeaded should consist of six directorys under your Addons folder. They are named LightHeaded, LightHeaded_Data_A, LightHeaded_Data_B, LightHeaded_Data_C, LightHeaded_Data_D and LightHeaded_Data_E. The main addon is LightHeaded while each of the other addons provides a portion of the quest data that is used. LightHeaded is organized this way to use the least memory possible at any time.

If you log into World of Warcraft and select the Addon button, you should see all five of these listed. They should all have checkmarks next to them, and they should not (unless there has been a patch on the particular day you are checking) be an "Out of date" tag on any of the addons. Ensure the checkbox is clicked for each of the addons.

If they do not appear in your addon selection screen, then the addons are not installed correctly. You should follow the directions in the README file included in the zip to ensure things are properly unpacked.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
10-29-08, 11:28 AM   #2
Redtooth
A Kobold Labourer
No double window

Him there the mod seems to work fine, except after patch 3.0.2 i dont get the doubke window anymore, just the standard quest log with lightheaded attached to the side...

Any ideas?
Cheers
10-29-08, 11:33 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's all LightHeaded does. You had some other mod to make the quest log two panes.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-29-08, 05:04 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Redtooth View Post
Him there the mod seems to work fine, except after patch 3.0.2 i dont get the doubke window anymore, just the standard quest log with lightheaded attached to the side...

Any ideas?
Cheers
That would be the DoubleWide addon.
10-29-08, 05:17 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep. That or one of the other couple quest mods that do it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-19-09, 02:48 PM   #6
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

install problems

I've installed/reinstalled LH multiple times and placed in the correct folder, made sure I had A,B,C,D,E and Lightheaded main but it doesn't show up in my Addons button on the char selection screen and therefore doesn't show up in-game. I've also had this problem with TomTom. I apologize if I'm missing something obvious from the FAQ but I didnt see anything that could help me. If you guys have any ideas they'd be much appreciated seeing as I seriously need LH/TomTom for questing!
04-19-09, 02:51 PM   #7
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Are you using Windows Vista? If so, the location of your WoW installation likely changed when you installed 3.X. You should find it now under c:\users\public\games or something like that.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
04-19-09, 02:56 PM   #8
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

It's under a folder called public which goes to games which goes to World of Warcraft which goes to all of the things relating to wow. When manually installing addons I've just taken them to my interface folder and then moved to Addons folder which has worked good save for LH/TomTom. Yes I am a Vista user but only 32-bit. In my addons folder whenever I download LH/TomTom it says they're Compressed/Zipped folders and those are the ones that won't work.
04-19-09, 03:00 PM   #9
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Yes, they are zipped folders.. as long as you are decompressing them it should work just fine. Your layout should look like this:

c:\public\games\world of warcraft\interface\addons\TomTom\TomTom.toc
c:\public\games\world of warcraft\interface\addons\LightHeaded\LightHeaded.toc

and so on. I'm afraid you're going to have to provide some more information in order to me to help out much more. The addons do work, I can assure you of that so we just need to figure out how you can get them installed correctly.
04-19-09, 03:03 PM   #10
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

How do I decompress them?
04-19-09, 03:09 PM   #11
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
They should be .zip files, and you should be able to just double-click them to decompress them.
04-19-09, 03:13 PM   #12
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

Its not letting me decompress I think that might be the problem.
04-19-09, 03:14 PM   #13
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
What's it saying? What's it doing? Have you checked the size of the file versus the size listed on the website?
04-19-09, 03:16 PM   #14
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
In your original post you said you're getting the A B C D folders.. where are you getting those? Those all need to be under Interface\Addons, make sure they're not under another subdirectory.
04-19-09, 03:20 PM   #15
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

When I double-click to decompress it just opens the folder and it says the parts i.e. A,B,C,D,E and Lightheaded and it has the Text document but it's still compressed. For all the rest of my addons it says File folder w/out the size but LH says compressed (zipped) along with the size (10,031 KB).
04-19-09, 03:20 PM   #16
Lopeppeppy
A Theradrim Guardian

When the EN US forums come back up, check this thread for pointers about how to unzip and install addons. There are lots of links to tutorials, including Lunessa's guide to troubleshoot addons on Vista.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...43408034&sid=1

Edit to Add: You'll need to right click on the zipped file and extract the contents. Double clicking does NOT decompress files, and therefore the game still can't read them. Windows should have this option automatically.
04-19-09, 03:27 PM   #17
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

You were right about the game not being able to read them. Once I right clicked on the file and extracted the contents back into my addons folder, I loaded up WoW and Lh was working perfectly.
04-19-09, 03:31 PM   #18
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Great, glad to hear it.
04-19-09, 03:33 PM   #19
Warbound
A Murloc Raider

Thank you both for the help.
07-28-09, 07:44 PM   #20
t2teddy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Every Tuesday I pull out my Latin textbook...

Well I haven't seen anyone mentioning this interesting little quirk, so here goes:

Every Tuesday after maintenance, when i log onto one of my toons and open my quest log, LH is written completely in Latin.

As long as I exit the game and restart it, the next time i log in everything is peachy again...go figure lol.

I lost the screenie I took last time so i'll try to grab another today.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Cladhaire's Mods » HOWTO: Troubleshoot issues with LightHeaded