11-11-08, 09:36 PM   #21
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Generic/ambiguous tech posts give you no credibility.
I wasn't trying to give myself credibility but thanks for putting me in my place Captain IT.
My point was most people have no clue what's involved in game servers and needless whining is pretty pointless because they are clueless.

11-11-08, 09:37 PM   #22
Inactive
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
Pulling in over 30 million dollars a month, it's safe to bet it's not hardware heating/cooling issues

more like... sh1t just aint right and they getting no where trying to fix it..
Uh, do you know how much they pay back out to Vivendi, their employee's, and in server rent/bandwidth?

They aren't banking that large of a net profit.

Gross Operating Income for Blizzard Ent. is -194 MILLION dollars, IE debt.
11-11-08, 09:39 PM   #23
Inactive
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
I wasn't trying to give myself credibility but thanks for putting me in my place Captain IT.
My point was most people have no clue what's involved in game servers and needless whining is pretty pointless because they are clueless.

If you are going to point to some sort of experience in a field, then use the knowledge you have and make the post a little more intelligent. Your threw it out their that you had this prior experience and then you just said "It's complicated so be patient [sic]". I like to see people cite something when they actually include some sort of essence in their post.
11-11-08, 09:40 PM   #24
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They aren't banking that large of a net profit.

Gross Operating Income for Blizzard Ent. is -194 MILLION dollars, IE debt.
Per day? Per month? Per Quarter?
11-11-08, 09:41 PM   #25
Inactive
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Per day? Per month? Per Quarter?
Quarter.

EDIT

Net Income (In Millions)
6/30/08 - 9/30/08 : -108.00
3/30/08 - 6/30/08 : 59.02
12/31/07 - 3/30/08 : 44.16
9/30/07 - 12/31/07 : 272.20
6/30/07 - 9/30/07 : 0.70

As you can see, the market affected them severely. If this was 1 year ago, during the 700 k -> 272,000 k jump, maybe money shouldn't be an issue. Right now they are down 108 million.

Last edited by Inactive : 11-11-08 at 09:45 PM.
11-11-08, 09:45 PM   #26
Mordaki987
A Fallenroot Satyr
bah, and the patience boiling point of fuming rises. come on guys get the dang game back up and running already. or at least give us some kind of compensation for the fact that you broke your own dang mmorpg. sigh at any rate thats my rant on the subject. i will say if the game is not back up and running by midnight. s will hit the fan
11-11-08, 09:51 PM   #27
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
I was under the impression that was Activision, not Blizzard -- that is to say, it includes the whole company. And it's normal to have higher expenses and lower revenues during the lead-up to the "holiday" season, which is when a lot of the sales happen.

My guess would be that a database fixup had unintended consequences. You know, like the thing where on some servers everyone of the same class as the person who opened the AQ gates could suddenly speak Titan.
11-11-08, 09:57 PM   #28
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

Personally I would rather take a day off from the game while they get stuff fixed than have it crash when the expansion goes live in about 27 hrs (give or take a few minutes). Be patient, let them fix whatever is wrong so it doesn't cause even more problems later. Contrary to popular belief, their techs to have a bit of a clue what they are doing. In the meantime, pretend there is life outside of WoW lol.
11-11-08, 10:00 PM   #29
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Syxx View Post

I happen to think that as a customer who buys goods/services, you have a perfect right to complain if/when those goods/services do not meet your expectations, regardless of expertise in the process of manufacturing/delivering those goods/services.

I frankly don't see any logic in the whole "you can't code, you can't voice a complaint about code" reasoning. It's absurd at best and goes completely against a free marketplace.

Siskel and Ebert didn't make movies. They made a career of criticizing movies. I bet you really hated them, didn't you? I'm pretty sure you get my point here.

Complaining about Blizzard is nothing new. I don't consider it whining at all. Most complaints are incredibly valid from a pure customer service point of view. A lot of us are approaching 4 years of seeing Blizzard making the SAME mistakes again and again for the 100th time. We often wonder why they don't have the capacity to learn from their mistakes. If a chimpanzee gets slapped in the head when he takes the banana when the red light comes on, he quickly learns to wait for the blue light. Is this chimpanzee smarter than Blizzard? I'm leaning towards yes.

I make a living providing enterprise services/support. From a pure networking policy point of view, I could write forever on how this (and other) online games fail at basic service implementation, maintenance policies, etc. However, I don't think that's the intent of these forums on this mod site

My only point - people have a right to complain. Respect those rights.

By the way, are the realms up yet?

(if you are scoring at home, we're approaching the 9th hour of this "unexpected" maintenance issue)
11-11-08, 10:09 PM   #30
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

no they aren't lol
11-11-08, 10:14 PM   #31
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I don't know if the servers are up or not, as I just sat down to my computer a few minutes ago. But I would like to remind people to stay calm and be patient. Venting and hoping they get up and running soon is fine, but once you start attacking one another and making Armageddon type assumptions, things are not okay. And I'd hate to have to come back in here quoting the forum rules at you.

Carry on. (Civilly)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-11-08, 10:17 PM   #32
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

ZOMG!... It's the END of the WORLD!..

of Warcraft

I'm sorry Seerah, I just 'had' to.
11-11-08, 10:18 PM   #33
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
ZOMG!... It's the END of the WORLD!..

of Warcraft

I'm sorry Seerah, I just 'had' to.
**bonk** you beat me to it !

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
11-11-08, 10:18 PM   #34
Grayson Carlyle
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
My only point - people have a right to complain. Respect those rights.
No, you have a right to choose. If you don't like the service/product you're paying for you, you can choose not to continue paying for or purchasing any further products from them. Listening to complaints is beneficial to a producer so that they can influence your next choice. However, you do not have a right to complain, nor a right to be heard. You have the opportunity to complain and the right to choose. It may seem a minor difference to you, but it's a very important one.

-- No longer directed at Republic --
As for the servers, stupid comments about them not having data backup is kind of ironic, since they're reprocessing every item/owner transaction from the last two weeks to restore your mail to you after a very severe database corruption.

They have 6 months of every single chat you've sent through their servers logged. That 14-year-old girl you cybered 2 months ago? Yah, they have that logged. Their instantaneous snapshots of everything go back just as far. I do not know how far back transaction history logs go, but processing 15 days of of transactions to sift out the resultant mail so you can still have all the items and gold you thought you had before the maintenance sure sounds like customer support to me. They could just say **** it and let you lose that mail.
11-11-08, 10:20 PM   #35
Kywin
A Fallenroot Satyr

Severity of negative (overboard) response to this is a pretty good indication of one or more of the following:

1) addiction
2) maturity
3) comprehension
11-11-08, 10:24 PM   #36
Elloria
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Kywin View Post
Severity of negative (overboard) response to this is a pretty good indication of one or more of the following:

1) addiction
2) maturity
3) comprehension
Lets try and respect the forum moderator's wishes ok?

I know the servers being down to some of you is "unnacceptable". Sadly there is nothing you can do about it. Why waste your breath/time complaining about it? Take this time to clean out your computer, get ready for the expansion. Clean out the garbage can next to your computers, dust, clean out the keyboard, clean your mouse.

I would much rather have this happen now then on launch day. Even then I wouldn't complain. I can only IMAGINE what they have to deal with over there. It has to be a very crazy enviroment im sure.

I believe a speak for most of us when i say this. Your "temper tantrums" will not fix a thing. they will only make matters worse and raise your blood pressure.

Also quoting this person for absolute truth

I do not know how far back transaction history logs go, but processing 15 days of of transactions to sift out the resultant mail so you can still have all the items and gold you thought you had before the maintenance sure sounds like customer support to me. They could just say **** it and let you lose that mail.

Last edited by Elloria : 11-11-08 at 10:29 PM.
11-11-08, 10:28 PM   #37
Kywin
A Fallenroot Satyr

just looked at my forum rank...and I thought it said "DEVIANT" lol
11-11-08, 10:39 PM   #38
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

If you are going to point to some sort of experience in a field, then use the knowledge you have and make the post a little more intelligent. Your threw it out their that you had this prior experience and then you just said "It's complicated so be patient [sic]". I like to see people cite something when they actually include some sort of essence in their post.
Yes Dad.
I'll post my resume (or a link to it) the next time I make an assertion like that.

I thought we were all having a little fun griping about the servers being down.
I had no idea I was going to get a reference nazi post.

I'll be sure to watch myself next time.

Guess I'll go watch a movie.
11-11-08, 10:51 PM   #39
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Grayson Carlyle View Post
No, you have a right to choose. If you don't like the service/product you're paying for you, you can choose not to continue paying for or purchasing any further products from them. Listening to complaints is beneficial to a producer so that they can influence your next choice. However, you do not have a right to complain, nor a right to be heard. You have the opportunity to complain and the right to choose. It may seem a minor difference to you, but it's a very important one.
In this specific case, your point misses the um...point? I love the product but hate the way in which it's delivered. When you have a reactive company with reactive policies, this is largely what you get - it works when it works and people are asked to "understand" (a sign this is the case can be seen by "we thank you for understanding" disclaimers all over maintenance messages, emails, etc.)

Blizzard would save themselves a ton of money and would reduce their cost of doing business with a simple overhaul of their policies, practices, and management of this game. They'd have a happier customer base as well. There is simply no logical necessity for outages such as this one today. That's a fact.
11-11-08, 10:53 PM   #40
fellon
A Defias Bandit

Smile

Just checked my wow account and it looks like there was a three day credit given out.

Same with my wife's account.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » anyone know whats going on with the servers?