09-29-12, 10:27 AM   #21
DarthEspa
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Good job name calling - I am sure that makes the authors want to give up something they spent a lot of time creating. I agree, do not donate if you don't want to - same thing the authors have said for a long time. As to honor... walk a mile in their shoes first and see if you feel the same way. Create a business, put in thousands of hours into it and then just give the business up to another person to take it over. Honor, ethics and/or morals do not dictate that they hand over their business and their work.
You know they are in talks to hand it over to Rythal, right? You are aware that in this same email they have said that they have given up on carbonite, right?

09-29-12, 10:52 AM   #22
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Right THERE:

It's post #6 in this very thread. In case you missed it, it's the "this site" bit. That's your link.

If you can't find it there, find the September 24 news item "Major..." and the link is directly below it. Say's "Find it here".
You expect something named "download", especially since presumably there will be more and more posts pushing everything down and out of view. However your "major" worked, so thanks for that.

09-29-12, 11:44 AM   #23
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You're welcome.

I apologize for the tone of my post.

I could give you reasons why I posted the way I did, but, in the end, they would just be excuses for my boorish behavior. All I can really say is that it wasn't directed at any one individual poster.

Again, I apologize.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-29-12 at 11:47 AM.

09-29-12, 11:54 AM   #24
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The new version is now up, and I did put a direct link right on the page to avoid that in the future.

09-29-12, 05:30 PM   #25
aessedai
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Good job name calling - I am sure that makes the authors want to give up something they spent a lot of time creating. I agree, do not donate if you don't want to - same thing the authors have said for a long time. As to honor... walk a mile in their shoes first and see if you feel the same way. Create a business, put in thousands of hours into it and then just give the business up to another person to take it over. Honor, ethics and/or morals do not dictate that they hand over their business and their work.
Sometimes name calling fits. I understand the frustration. I am sick and tired of the Blizz map for questing. I wish Blizz would just buy out Carbonite and keep it as is, but up to date and make it optional to use. It would be nice if they did that with all popular addons that are created by authors who have become lazy.

09-29-12, 05:35 PM   #26
aessedai
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by DarthEspa View Post
You know they are in talks to hand it over to Rythal, right? You are aware that in this same email they have said that they have given up on carbonite, right?
I don't know what there is to talk about. They have something that is utterly useless and will never make them another dime in donations if they abandon it, so the talk should be very simple and should go a little something like this : "Here you go Rythal!" Fin

09-29-12, 08:33 PM   #27
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by aessedai View Post
I wish Blizz would just buy out Carbonite and keep it as is, but up to date and make it optional to use. It would be nice if they did that with all popular addons that are created by authors who have become lazy.
Blizz has done that with many popular addons and have taken the code and incorporated it into the game or taken the same layout - but have done that without paying anything (calendars, outfitter, etc). This is something that, I assume, the developers have said they didn't want to happen (I remember something about them not wanting blizzard to have the code).

Also, the talk with Rythal - when and if it happens will happen on the Authors decision and should go however they want. I assume it will go more along the lines of "Please do not release this directly to Blizzard and here is the code/program to keep the code hidden/changed, let us know if you have questions/problems and we'll try to help as soon as possible." You also assume that they are doing this because they want donations. They removed the donations part of their web-site, so the "they only want your donations and will never update" line seems to be pretty well scrapped to me.

09-30-12, 10:34 AM   #28
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would like to add one thing to this: If any one seriously thinks that Blizzard simply "can't copy the functionality" of any addon that they would care to, I think that you are sorely mistaken.

I believe that, in this case, they just do not want at least some of the function's of Carbonite as a default feature in the World of Warcraft game. That, to my way of looking at things, is absolutely the ONLY reason that it is not a default feature of the game.

One thing to remember here is that they would have to fit Carbonites features in with their philosophy of how they want the game to look and work. I don't know about anyone else, but I have found Carbonites "infinite zoom" functionality quite handy on several occasions. Imagine what would happen if that were to be limited to just six levels of zoom like the default Minimap, and, basically, no zoom on the World Map. That's just one of Carbonites features that doesn't fit in with Blizzards vision of how the game should look / work. It's their game, so it's going to look and work their way in the default version that you purchase. That's, probably, one of the reasons they allow addons. And don't forget this: If they really didn't want an addon to be used in their game with Carbonites functionality, they would just break it. It's been done before.

I don't know about anyone else, but that's not looking like so much of a good idea to me.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » No Maps for Pandaria