02-27-13, 05:25 AM   #1
Mozno1
A Defias Bandit
Question Carbonite 5102 - Intermittent issue with quest tracking.

Hello,

I have been reading over the forums and have seen plenty of posts asking a question similar to this one, however the answers don't make any sense to me.

I have been using Carbonite since I started back playing WoW (after some time off), I used the excellent quest tracker and map to level up all the way through 85 - 90.

ALL quests where shown and in the data base and I used the quest tracker to track ALL the quests as I leveled. Hence why the "the panda quests aren't in the database yet" answers are really confusing me.

As I went through the expansion and moved between levels I moved between zones to keep the mobs i was killing about 1 level above me to keep up the challenge in some form, this means I have quests in pretty much all areas left to complete.

The issue is that these quests that were 100% in the database are now showing as "not in the database".

After a period of time (anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 days) all the quests will suddenly re-appear in the data base and track just fine.

I know that the quests ARE 100% in the database as i have seen them on the map and the little buttons next to the quests in the log all worked just fine.

I started with the Curse install of Carbonite and have now tried the fan dev version from the devs website (5102 I believe), both have the same issue.

Could anyone help me out a little here? I'm missing my Carbonite............ I'm blind and lost here guys........ You are my beacon of hope!

Moz out.

Last edited by Mozno1 : 02-27-13 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Typos -.-

02-27-13, 05:47 AM   #2
Mozno1
A Defias Bandit

Here is a screen shot of what I mean.

Cheers.

02-27-13, 06:15 AM   #3
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is happening because Carb now uses the Blizzard quest database api to populate it's quest watch.
Pre-85 quests are in Carb's own internal database. (which is why you see the different colour quest blobs on quests before level 85)

I get this issue as well, but I use a different addon for my questing needs (Zygor) so it does not impact me enough to worry about it.

I'm not entirely convinced it's a problem with Carb though.. As you have said, when you pick the quests up everything is fine and they show perfectly.

I've heard a /reload will load the quests that you have in that zone.
*edit.
I think this is because, when you login, the wow client only requests the quest poi's for the current area you are in from the blizzard server. It could be a way to speed up the loading times for the client.. Carb then reads the quest poi's and the quests that are loaded are added to carb's quest watch.
I've noticed this as I have quests still all over pandaland and they load if I go to that area and /reload.

I'll leave it up to our resident guru Rythal to figure it out though. He seems to be able to fix everything! lol

Hopefully that explains what is happening

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 03-14-13 at 09:41 AM. Reason: adding info

02-27-13, 06:56 AM   #4
Mozno1
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the response.

I have tried a /reload but not in the area where the quests are situated. Will give it a try later and report back.

EDIT: Actually if you look at the screen shot I posted you can see the quests in the area I am in are actually working! This has to be because i tried the /reload command before taking the SS.

It does seem however that completing a couple of quest objectives kicks things back into life for all areas!?

Last edited by Mozno1 : 02-27-13 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added info.

02-27-13, 09:56 AM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Using blizzards quest information was just a stopgap until I have the chance to rewrite the quest code, it's unfortunately not perfect but it does work most the time which is why you never saw issue's.

Once the new alpha release is appearing to be bug free, the quest database rewrite is next on my list, tho i'm not looking forward to manually adding however many thousand quests came with MoP, laughs.

03-07-13, 11:23 PM   #6
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
3500ish quests were added, making the grand total ~14,000 quests...Eek!

Also, look at this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45981

for achievement tracking issues. It is a very small sample, but...

03-08-13, 03:07 PM   #7
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Using blizzards quest information was just a stopgap until I have the chance to rewrite the quest code, it's unfortunately not perfect but it does work most the time which is why you never saw issue's.

Once the new alpha release is appearing to be bug free, the quest database rewrite is next on my list, tho i'm not looking forward to manually adding however many thousand quests came with MoP, laughs.
It's a cryin' shame that Blizzard didn't design their info in such a way that Addon Developers could always just copy/paste the sections of changes, so that you could just overwrite old info with their updated info. It sounds like a nightmare, which seems like Blizzard doesn't want to support addon authors? I kinda' remember that they used to "encourage" addons authors (years ago), but I'm sure I'm wrong... totally! But, wouldn't it have been nice? heh heh. I wish there was another way to make your extremely important efforts easier. Thank you, Rythal, for not giving up!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5102 - Intermittent issue with quest tracking.