10-15-10, 11:37 AM   #1
decyphier
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite 4.0 FPS problem...

First off, I want to say thank you so much for continuing the production of this addon. I'd donate if I had the money right now, but I don't. I literally can't play WoW without this addon, it's grown on me too much.

However, I'm having an odd problem that I haven't seen posted yet. I deleted all of my old addons and installed the newest versions. I found Carbonite BETA a few minutes ago, and extracted the newest version to my addons folder.

I loaded up WoW and entered the game, my FPS fell from at least 200+ (Vsync disabled) to a constant 19-20.

Anyone have a fix? Or having a similar problem?

Cheers.

10-15-10, 11:56 AM   #2
Battlestalker
A Defias Bandit
I'm having a similar issue. I went from 60fps with everything on ultra down to 11fps. I had to disable it again. Will wait for a fix. But thank you guys for working on it so quickly for us!!!

Ragnork
Chromaggus

10-15-10, 12:06 PM   #3
Talmire
A Murloc Raider
Remember, this version is still in its Beta phase, not everything is going to be working perfectly at this point, please be patient while the hard working people update it

10-15-10, 12:07 PM   #4
jds061980
A Murloc Raider
Having a small FPS problem with new Carbonite but mine was only 60fps to 30 fps which I can live with to have Carbonite back.

But man all you people complaining.

It says BETA!!!!

Just post your problems (nicely) so the 2 guys that make our wonderful little addon, can work the kinks out.

Carbonite creators once again thank you for all your hard work!!

10-15-10, 12:09 PM   #5
Battlestalker
A Defias Bandit
Yeah, there is no reason for people to be mean when posting issues. It is a beta, just disable it and wait for a fixed version to release.

Ragnork
Chromaggus

10-15-10, 01:13 PM   #6
decyphier
A Defias Bandit
I don't know if you people read my OP at all.... I'm not being mean... I'm simply appropriately asking a question.

I realize it's a BETA, I was just wondering if it was happening to anyone else.

10-15-10, 01:16 PM   #7
Battlestalker
A Defias Bandit
It's not pointed at you. It's the trolls that post things like "carbonite is ****". I think your post is legit.

Ragnork
Chromaggus

10-15-10, 01:35 PM   #8
WoWaddict86
A Murloc Raider
Carbonite was working great and all of a sudden i went from 60 fps to 19 fps im sure its just a small bug that can be easily fixed

10-16-10, 06:39 PM   #9
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
4.0003 and previous versions had a variety of bugs that would repeat.

Sounds like a typical case of you don't have "Display LUA errors" enabled, so you can't see all the repeating addon errors you are getting, which are killing your FPS.

Read this and enable it:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21817

Update to 4.0005.

10-16-10, 10:12 PM   #10
Cognatii
A Defias Bandit

it could be WoW itself. I have all addons disabled, and I am consistently getting 5 - 15 FPS.
~3 FPS in Dalaran.
Admittedly, I have an older computer, but still - it got a lot worse after the patch.

In case anyone was wondering what I meant by 'old':
XP Pro SP3
P4 @ 2.53 GHz
GeForce FX 5200
1GB RAM

i need to upgrade ;_;

10-16-10, 10:40 PM   #11
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Cognatii View Post
it could be WoW itself. I have all addons disabled, and I am consistently getting 5 - 15 FPS.
~3 FPS in Dalaran.
Admittedly, I have an older computer, but still - it got a lot worse after the patch.

In case anyone was wondering what I meant by 'old':
XP Pro SP3
P4 @ 2.53 GHz
GeForce FX 5200
1GB RAM

i need to upgrade ;_;
^this^

With a major graphics overhaul for Cataclysm, you're probably not going to be able to play with your current system.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

10-17-10, 03:45 AM   #12
Chanah
A Kobold Labourer
I dread asking, and it may be a bit OT for the thread, but what would a minimal upgrade be?

I'm having the similar issues with my 2.66 Ghz processor and let's just not mention the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 card (ouch!), or the 1 gig of RAM.

10-17-10, 03:50 AM   #13
love4stupidppl
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Chanah View Post
I dread asking, and it may be a bit OT for the thread, but what would a minimal upgrade be?

I'm having the similar issues with my 2.66 Ghz processor and let's just not mention the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 card (ouch!), or the 1 gig of RAM.
http://shadowpanther.net/upgrade.htm

10-18-10, 11:27 AM   #14
Dokkalfarsn
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite-related FPS

I've noticed that my FPS jumps considerably when I minimize the quest/achieve tracker window. It goes from 10 to 60 after doing that, and crashes back down when expanding the window again. Hopefully this info will help them narrow down any cpu-hogging culprits for the next release.

10-19-10, 04:58 PM   #15
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dokkalfarsn View Post
I've noticed that my FPS jumps considerably when I minimize the quest/achieve tracker window. It goes from 10 to 60 after doing that, and crashes back down when expanding the window again. Hopefully this info will help them narrow down any cpu-hogging culprits for the next release.
It would be fairly simple it that happened to me, but my FPS goes up about 1 when I minimize it, which makes sense since the game UI code has to draw less text and graphics.

That window refreshes once per second, so if it was that code you would notice a big drop each second.

Try clicking the top left button on the Watch List and reduce the "Max Visible In List" slider. FPS changes very little from 25 to 1 visible for me. Does FPS go up proportional to fewer items?

In that same menu, click "Remove All Watches". That makes a fairly big jump for me. Windowed mode, looking up with mostly sky in view I go from 85 to 110 FPS, so that gives me something I can try to profile. I'll put that on the todo list.

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 10-19-10 at 05:03 PM.

10-19-10, 05:02 PM   #16
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Definitely has to do with watching quests. Removing watches on half of them and I get half the FPS increase of my last post.

10-19-10, 05:14 PM   #17
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It is not the Watch List causing the drop for me. I noticed most of the FPS drop is from drawing all those quests on the map. Turn off the green watch list button and see if your FPS shoots up.

The percent of drop for me is not bad when looking normally at the world (not sky). I'm seeing typically 60 FPS dropping down to 50 FPS.

You may get very different results trying these steps, so let me know.

10-19-10, 08:49 PM   #18
djGrrr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i experience this lag and i'm using QuestGuru for the quest log and have the carbonite quest watch hide option enabled.

i can't test this myself because the EU servers are down at the moment, but a post here suggests that it may be related to the achievement tracking and not quest tracking

as for the "small drop" in framerate of 60 to 50fps, thats not exactly accurate, its basically 10 fps or so for a very short period of time, thus making the average 50, but if you do a quest like the oracles, mastery of the crystals quest where u need to kill 50 mobs and kill a lot at once, the average framerate becomes much lower

10-19-10, 11:21 PM   #19
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by djGrrr View Post
as for the "small drop" in framerate of 60 to 50fps, thats not exactly accurate, its basically 10 fps or so for a very short period of time
There are a variety of different reasons for FPS drop. My case is not your case. Some are bad and some are normal.

Possible Reasons:

1. Constant large FPS drop from repeating LUA errors. If LUA error messages are disabled, then the reason is hidden from the user. Enable error messages!

2. Constant tiny FPS drop from Watch list. Dokkalfarsn said he had this with a large FPS drop.

3. Constant minor FPS drop from quests drawn on map. Normal.

4. Spiking large FPS drop from quest accept, change and/or turn in. Possible addon conflict.

What I was experiencing was #3, which was normal. Many of the original posters had #1, which was fixed by getting a newer version that fixed their errors. #4 might be caused by achievements like the other thread said, so I will test that.

10-20-10, 12:52 AM   #20
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I found a cause for #2 and fixed for next version:
Fixed FPS drop when tracking achievements and Quest Watch List item buttons shown.
A variable was not set on quest item buttons, so their update was triggering Blizzard watch list update every .2 secs.

I was getting a drop from 67 to 45 FPS from that. Mileage will vary.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 4.0 FPS problem...