10-09-08, 05:01 PM   #1
Mukura
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to create a hyperlink on a player?

Hi there!

Does anyone know how i can create a clickable hyperlink on a player just like they are in chat messages?

Thanks for your help.
10-10-08, 06:14 PM   #2
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Format for player links is:
Code:
|Hplayer:<playername>:<chatlinenumber>|h[<playername>|h
(Yep, no trailing |r).

If you hook the SetItemRef function and "replace" its normal player link handling code, you'd probably be able to paste a player name as a hotlink in chat/etc. BUT, I don't know if the server will carry this information (it may strip it like it does for links in chat channels, or it may DC you!)

-- Cirk
10-11-08, 10:23 AM   #3
Mukura
A Murloc Raider
Thanks a lot!

I use it in displaying a string using DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("string"). What I actually want to do, is creating "fake" guild and party messages, that appear to the user just like real ones but are not actually sent into the guild channel so that only addon users will receive the message.

In this case
Code:
local playerlink = "|Hplayer:"..<player>.."|h["..<player>.."]|h";
worked fine for me.
10-11-08, 12:46 PM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Cirk View Post
Format for player links is:
[code]If you hook the SetItemRef function and "replace" its normal player link handling code, you'd probably be able to paste a player name as a hotlink in chat/etc. BUT, I don't know if the server will carry this information (it may strip it like it does for links in chat channels, or it may DC you!)
Be very careful in doing this, as, while hooking SetItemRef is useful (I know several addons that do it), it also causes a taint which makes it impossible to shift-click a user's name into a GM ticket and send it.

A minor thing, but just warning you in case you get bug reports in the near future that are difficult to track down.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to create a hyperlink on a player?