09-16-08, 04:36 AM   #1
Teleros
A Murloc Raider

Lightbulb Request for addon update for WotLK

Months ago now I downloaded an old, but very (very) useful addon simply called "Notes", from Curse.com. Unfortunately it now appears to have been discontinued by its author, and doesn't seem to be available for download anywhere these days.

However, I have got a copy of the addon uploaded for download at Filefront HERE (just extract to your Addons folder like normal if you want to use it), and as it isn't fully functional in WotLK (or the PTR) and I'm clueless when it comes to all the coding, I was hoping someone here would be able to do a fan update or similar for WotLK (incidentally it seems to work fine in v2.4.3, although I haven't used the more advanced scripting / LUA features in it).

What is Notes?
First of all, all credit must go to "Andersen" of Silvermoon for creating the original addon - I'm just a fan.
Image 1
Image 2
Notes is rather like the Notepad program that comes with Windows - the difference being it also allows you to test and run custom LUA code and such, as well as print to various channels (eg loot rules in a raid). It's very easy to use and very handy, but as I said it doesn't work fully in WotLK or on the PTR, and as it's no longer being worked on by its author, the chances of a WotLK-ready version are slim.

Thanks in advance,
Teleros of Conquistadores
Alliance Paladin, Kul Tiras (EU)
09-16-08, 06:46 AM   #2
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
the difference being it also allows you to test and run custom LUA code
Hi Teleros, if you are interested in this feature WowLua does it very well
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
09-16-08, 09:09 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
TinyPad and Omnibus are two other notepads that allow you to run code.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-18-08, 04:53 AM   #4
Teleros
A Murloc Raider

I had a go with those addons, but found that they weren't as useful when it comes to making notes etc, which is what I really use the "Notes" addon for...
09-18-08, 09:21 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm curious - how are they not as useful for making notes?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-18-08, 12:01 PM   #6
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
that's a good reason to start yours
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
09-19-08, 03:47 AM   #7
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
It's very easy to use and very handy, but as I said it doesn't work fully in WotLK or on the PTR, and as it's no longer being worked on by its author, the chances of a WotLK-ready version are slim.
Damn it, I love that mod. I never used the lua bit but for notes and collections of data (let alone raid briefings!) it's bloody wonderful. I knew it wasn't working for LK but thought he author was still around.

I'll take a look at it and see how bad it is.

Edit: There are a few usability issues that need to be fixed but nothing super-drastic.

The only error I receive is due to a API signature change. You can fix this yourself if you go to Line 2356 and line 2330 and reverse the parameters (it should look like this: UIDropDownMenu_SetWidth(NotesChanSelectDropDown, 115)). Outside of some control placement issues I couldn't find anything else seriously wrong.

If the author's truly abandoned it, I may have to rescue this little gem.

(You owe me 1 cookie, Teleros )

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 09-19-08 at 04:23 AM.
09-20-08, 02:25 PM   #8
Teleros
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I'm curious - how are they not as useful for making notes?
They are, they're just not as useful. Notes just seems (to me anyway :P ) much easier. Open it, start a new note, lock / unlock, print to channels; it's all very intuitive.
Well, that and I'm a creature of habit if nothing else .

(You owe me 1 cookie, Teleros )
I think Maul beat you to it - I got a PM about it and am about to play with an updated version emailed to me earlier. Not that this need stop you updating it of course .
09-22-08, 11:00 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Have you guys tried Cirk's Notebook?
10-11-08, 07:04 AM   #10
Prasutagus
A Defias Bandit

Have to agree with Teleros, Notes is unique in that it allows you to easily browse notes in a quest like interface. Phanx's suggestions could be a good match though, gonna try it in a second. Part of the issue is migrating existing data. I have a short note for most bosses in outland instances to remind me of their key abilities and also use it as a crafting ToDo list between charaters. If anybody has come up with a fix that includes changes beyond the UIDropDownMenu issue it would be highly appreciated.
10-11-08, 07:21 AM   #11
Prasutagus
A Defias Bandit

Quick update: Made the change proposed by Vincent, works without any errors. Some minor visual issues (Speed checkbox text size/positioning makes it overlap with the frame border), not gonna worry too much about it for now.

On the topic of Cirk's Notebook: That seems to be in really bad shape unless there's another updated version that I missed. All button text gone, multiple errors when starting (looks like another syntax/parameter issue), can't make new notes, using any of the UI elements creates more errors.
10-11-08, 07:47 AM   #12
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I'll have an updated 3.0 compatible version of Notebook up soon - its working on PTR now
11-23-08, 07:26 AM   #13
Teleros
A Murloc Raider

God I forgot all about this thread .

Anyway, aside from a few minor graphical issues*, Notes v3.0 is working fine.
Many thanks to Maul for updating it !

Last edited by Seerah : 11-23-08 at 02:58 PM. Reason: removed outside link. also, if an author wants something uploaded for download, they'll do it themselves ;)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request for addon update for WotLK