04-02-15, 09:30 AM   #1
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
Item Level Updated

How about an addon that outputs text to the chat frame to notify the player when their item level has changed.

When players are leveling 90-100, certain dungeons are not available until you reach a certain item level. Would be nice to get an output that keeps me informed of my current ilvl as well as letting me know what my new ilvl is when I equip a new piece of gear.

Seems a little unnecessary but I think it would be convenient so I don't have to open up my character pane to look at my item level after I've equipped a new piece of gear.
04-08-15, 01:21 AM   #2
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
No one?

No one else thinks this is a good idea? Hmph.
04-08-15, 02:19 AM   #3
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by PocketAppZ View Post
No one else thinks this is a good idea? Hmph.
I can relate to this need only slightly, but it sounds pretty simple so I'll try to code something tomorrow (Thursday)

Remember, every time you post a comment on an add-on, a kitten gets its wings!
04-08-15, 02:21 AM   #4
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
Much appreciated
04-09-15, 05:48 PM   #5
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Well, once it gets approved, you can download your shiny new add-on right here. I hope it's what you wanted

04-09-15, 07:21 PM   #6
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
I will give it a try and provide feedback via addon page comments

Thank you for this!

Last edited by PocketAppZ : 04-09-15 at 07:27 PM.
04-09-15, 07:29 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

And if you're looking for something a bit simpler that just prints messages to chat when your ilvl changes, instead of showing it in an always-visible frame, you can try this (totally untested):

Code:
local ilvl = -1

local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_LOGIN")
f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_AVG_ITEM_LEVEL_UPDATE")
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function()
	local total, equipped = GetAverageItemLevel()
	total = math.floor(total)
	if total == ilvl then
		return
	end
	local color = ChatTypeInfo["SYSTEM"]
	if total > ilvl then
		DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Your average item level is now |cff99ff99" .. total .. "|r, up from " .. ilvl, color.r, color.g, color.b)
	else
		DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Your average item level is now |cffff9999" .. total .. "|r, down from " .. ilvl, color.r, color.g, color.b)
	end
	ilvl = total
end)
If you need help turning the above code into an addon, copy and paste it into this page:
http://addon.bool.no/
04-09-15, 07:42 PM   #8
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
Geared displays a lower item level than what Simple iLevel tells me is my ilvl.

The code by Phanx displays the same ilvl as Geared but it told me that my ilvl dropped 1pt after I vendored some trash gear that was in my bags, didn't even change anything my character had equipped.
04-09-15, 09:54 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Geared displays a lower item level than what Simple iLevel tells me is my ilvl.
Either Simple iLevel is wrong, or it's showing your equipped item level instead of your "total" item level, which is what matters for unlocking dungeons etc. Both Geared and the code I posted use the same method as the default UI code that shows your item level on the character panel -- the game provides a decimal value (eg. 352.4394302843243) and the UI rounds it down to the nearest whole number (eg. 352).

The code by Phanx displays the same ilvl as Geared but it told me that my ilvl dropped 1pt after I vendored some trash gear that was in my bags, didn't even change anything my character had equipped.
One of the items you vendored probably had a higher item level than the item you had equipped for that slot, but without more information and/or the ability to test for myself, it's impossible to say. However, based on the description in your first post, I'd guess you're confusing your equipped item level (which doesn't matter) with your total item level. LFG/LFR options unlock based on your total item level. Even if you're naked (equipped item level 0) you can still queue for dungeons if the average item level of gear in your bags (calculated by pretending you have equipped the highest-ilvl option for each slot) is high enough.
04-09-15, 10:27 PM   #10
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
I was unaware of there being two different item levels, Equipped ilvl and Total ilvl. That explains what is happening.

As for the vendor part, I am wearing full heirloom set on a BM Hunter. With the Total ilvl aspect, that explains why it reported an ilvl change after I vendored trash gear.

Thank you for the explanation! I will use the code for now and will switched to Geared once it has the options I mentioned here.
04-10-15, 10:00 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

As for the vendor part, I am wearing full heirloom set on a BM Hunter. With the Total ilvl aspect, that explains why it reported an ilvl change after I vendored trash gear.
Most heirloom gear has an item level of 1, since there's no minimum item level for leveling dungeons. (Actually that's not why it has an item level of 1, but that's why it doesn't matter that it has an item level of 1. )
04-10-15, 11:10 PM   #12
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Most heirloom gear has an item level of 1, since there's no minimum item level for leveling dungeons. (Actually that's not why it has an item level of 1, but that's why it doesn't matter that it has an item level of 1. )
Oh I know. I was just testing it with my hunter because of the fact that he is wearing heirlooms.
04-11-15, 12:40 AM   #13
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Is this still true? Ingame the items display the itemlevel for their itembudget. So you no longer run into the problem being refused to enter dungeons that require a certain itemlevel.
04-11-15, 01:13 AM   #14
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Is this still true? Ingame the items display the itemlevel for their itembudget. So you no longer run into the problem being refused to enter dungeons that require a certain itemlevel.
Not 100% sure. I wanted this addon mostly for my gear grind at 100 when I'm trying to run raids because certain raids require a minimum ilvl. I think some of the 90-100 dungeons also have an ilvl requirement but I don't remember any pre-90 dungeons having an ilvl requirement .
04-11-15, 01:34 AM   #15
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Not 100% sure. I wanted this addon mostly for my gear grind at 100 when I'm trying to run raids because certain raids require a minimum ilvl. I think some of the 90-100 dungeons also have an ilvl requirement but I don't remember any pre-90 dungeons having an ilvl requirement .
I'm pretty sure almost all dungeons have an ilvl requirement, though if you're wearing mostly heirlooms then your ilvl should automatically be high enough whenever your level is high enough. It's been years since I leveled anything though, so I might be completely wrong here.

04-11-15, 01:54 AM   #16
PocketAppZ
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Malsomnus View Post
I'm pretty sure almost all dungeons have an ilvl requirement, though if you're wearing mostly heirlooms then your ilvl should automatically be high enough whenever your level is high enough. It's been years since I leveled anything though, so I might be completely wrong here.
You could be right but I'm talking about using the Dungeon Finder. Before level 90, the DF only shows the dungeons you qualify for and that qualification is based on your level. After level 90, DF may show additional dungeons you are not eligible for yet and your eligibility is based upon your equipped or total item level.
04-11-15, 02:03 AM   #17
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Last example I remember is leveling a character through Cataclysm content, during MoP, and being unable to queue for dungeons due to low ilvl.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Item Level Updated