12-12-10, 09:24 PM   #1
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to figure out a character's faction

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to figure out a character's faction NOT based on their race. My reason for this is because some players are on foreign clients where race names aren't going to be able to be matched up since they're in another language.

One way I'm pretty sure would work would to match their racial's based on spellId, the only thing with that would be it'd be a lot of wasted space in my opinion.

My other idea would be to use the command "GetDefaultLanguage()" WoWProgramming says that it:
Code:
Returns the name of the player character's default language.
This is the language used in the chat system (Common or Orcish, as opposed to Taurahe, Darnassian, etc),
not the real-world language of the client or server.
but I'm wondering if "Common" or "Orcish" would come through as something else if it were another language other than English.

Does anyone know if it always comes back as "Common" or something else? And does anyone have any other ideas how to figure out faction for all clients? Thanks in advance!
12-12-10, 09:58 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Like this? http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api/UnitFactionGroup
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-12-10, 10:03 PM   #3
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Well now I feel stupid... I was looking under the "Faction" section, not "Unit."

Thanks Seerah lol!
12-13-10, 05:21 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Also:

— The second value returned by UnitRace is locale-independent, meaning it will be the same no matter which language client someone is using.

— The return value from GetDefaultLanguage() is localized, as are the language names returned by all other functions.

— Localization isn't really hard.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » How to figure out a character's faction