08-28-07, 10:54 AM   #1
angelstriker
A Defias Bandit
Lightbulb BG/Chaotic raid healer addon

I got the idea after healing in a few random battlegrounds where i had trouble keeping track of peoples health bars and who was close enough to heal in my raid targeting window. So i thought about if there was an addon with a target window wich will only show the players who are inside my range of heal, and not like those annoying autoheal addons with one button that does everything automaticly (im not that lazy).

I have seen an addon, i think it was Deadly boss mod with a distance window wich constantly checks the distance to other members of the raid and colors them depending on the distance, i would just want that to show health bar, able to target through it and possibly change the colors like green is within my healing range, yellow is just outside my range, red is more then twice the distance away.

Sadly i dont have any experience with addon making at all, but it would be great to see an addon like that and it would probably make BG healing a bit easier and interesting to do.

I hope someone takes the idea.
08-28-07, 11:30 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Do you use a mod for your unit frames? Many allow you to change the alpha of the frame if they are out of range of your spells.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-29-07, 11:58 AM   #3
angelstriker
A Defias Bandit
Nope, but that wasnt what i was thinking about more if i could be able to see if any raid members are out of range without targeting him.
08-29-07, 12:02 PM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Most raid frame mods will "fade out" Raid Members who are out of a certain (usually 30yds) range. This works without having to target the raid member in question. Most of the Raid Mods will allow you to set that distance based a particular spell (Flash of Light for an example). Deadly Boss Mods "Range Mode" is used for certain boss fights like Maiden of Virtue (Karazhan) or Gruul where the players have to stay a certain distance from each other to avoid nuking each other.
08-29-07, 12:04 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah - the raid frames actually change alpha (fade out) when out of range.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-29-07, 12:59 PM   #6
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Well... what I think he's looking for is something more along the lines of what CTRaid's Emergency Monitor used to do....

It would only make the frames visible if a certain threshold was met (as set by the user).

A separate smaller window that would ONLY show when party/raid members were within healing range of you would be GOLDEN.... that's what he's looking for; not watching for some "alpha" effect (where a frame lightens or brightens based on range); but an actual effect where the frame wouldn't show up AT ALL until they are within healing range of you.

This I would love to see as well. As a healer, seeing a frame pop up like this tells me to HEAL.
Stormreaver (US), Alliance

Last edited by Geboran : 08-29-07 at 01:01 PM.
08-29-07, 09:51 PM   #7
Farook
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Geboran
Well... what I think he's looking for is something more along the lines of what CTRaid's Emergency Monitor used to do....
All those "Emergency Monitors" and is functions have been restricted by Blizzard with a patch ages ago.

In my honest opinion, not a bad decission. And yes, I'm saying this with a healing main char.
08-30-07, 06:11 AM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Healbot maybe? Or PerfectRaid.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
08-30-07, 08:02 AM   #9
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Originally Posted by Farook
All those "Emergency Monitors" and is functions have been restricted by Blizzard with a patch ages ago.

In my honest opinion, not a bad decission. And yes, I'm saying this with a healing main char.
I agree. A healer gets to heal "the old-fashioned" way these days, and we are all better for it (vs. spamming an "I pwn at healing" button), but this particular function shouldn't really be blocked, as all it does is determine who is within healing range of you and pops their frame in to view. Then again, any updated raiding frames have the Alpha coloring that you can set (well, most of them do anyway) that should be enough for this.

A good set of raiding frames would be Healbot Continued (if you want to have click-casting built-in and configurable); I'd suggest making the boxes smaller overall though, as they can take up quite a bit of space in 25+ person raid groups.

You could also try using BunchofBars + Clique (again, if you want click-casting on frames) from the folks at www.wowace.com. I've liked how the frame pops well in to view when people are in healing range of you, and are rather faded when they are not in range of you; makes it much easier to focus your healing.

I had messed around very little with Grid before, and might consider trying it out again.
Stormreaver (US), Alliance

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » BG/Chaotic raid healer addon