12-07-05, 06:37 AM   #1
ross2000
A Defias Bandit
Will this device get me banned?

I just got a Nostromo SpeedPad n52 and I just wanted to check with you guys if it's ok to use with WOW. The reason I ask is you can programme the keys to carry out macros, inc macros that will continually loop and I understand blizz frown on this so I wasn't sure if they had banned people from using this device with WOW.

Thanks,

Ross
12-07-05, 10:28 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
To my knowledge no one has been banned for using this, and I know that many many people do use it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-07-05, 05:04 PM   #3
fdisk42
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've used on since the beta and have never had any concerns from Blizzard about it. You should be fine.
12-08-05, 02:52 AM   #4
ross2000
A Defias Bandit
Cool thanks for the replies guys
12-08-05, 11:28 AM   #5
Gaal
A Fallenroot Satyr
generally, Blizzard only bans for outright cheats, hacking the datastream/packets or using addons that they have declared are a violation of their terms of service, or addons they have decalred as a cheat and/or using a bug to gain an unfair advantage. Even then, they're not overly unfair. Declaring an addon or other such device as illegal for use is one thing, but not every player checks the news every single day. I don't believe they would announce something and then start banning the minute later.

You were right to check though. If you have to ask the question, there's a good chance that it's not allowed.

Here's some reasoning behind this device. Macro looping isn't unique to that device. It's really not that hard to write a simple addon, or even do it within the UI, and have a macro activate another macro and then reactivate the first one and so on and so forth. However, if you find yourself able to cast spells from this device by having it send a button press over and over like that, then you're entering the VERY RISKY zone and if you still insist on using that feature, if it can be done, I would suggest extreme caution and always be watching your screen.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Will this device get me banned?