09-08-09, 07:47 PM   #1
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Paypal donation form: Remark and issue

Hello,

I had taken a quite long WoW break, hence a WoWI break too, and I noticed the new donation buttons when downloading updated versions of the addons I use. Yesterday, a user contacted me to ask me to fix a bug in one of my addon, and while updating it, I thought it would be amusing to look into these nice donation buttons.

My first observation is that as a free user of Paypal, I do not seem to have the same html code for my buttons, and there is no numerical ID (which is what is asked when uploading an addon on WoWI). The only ID that I have when I remove the "code protection" is on an input field called "business", and it's 13 characters including numbers and upper case letters (not only hexa), which is my own Paypal ID I think, a posteriori. Of course the fields "Organization name/service" and "Donation ID" also appear the way I filled them in the form, but I don't think they are of any help here.

Does anybody know if a paid account is necessary for WoWI's donation button creation?

My second remark is that, as I tried to see what would happen when putting my alphanumerical ID in WoWI's field and validating, I encountered no error. My ID's first character was a "7", and the parser seemed to have the common behaviour that ignores everything that follows a number if the string starts with a number. Therefore, when I tested my button (I had doubts ^^), I ended up on Paypal's button of ID 7, which was in no way related to me. I think that a kind of visual confirmation could be nice. I think that authors probably check their button the first time they put it, but it'd be so sad that people donate to the wrong person...

Thank you for reading all of this, and thanks to the whole WoWI team for their work,

Lay
09-08-09, 07:50 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You may link your free PayPal account to a Pledgie account and use the Pledgie option instead of PayPal option for donations.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 09-09-09 at 09:17 AM. Reason: like ~= link /sigh
09-09-09, 04:28 AM   #3
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thank you very much Seerah, I will give it a try

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Paypal donation form: Remark and issue