07-03-10, 06:08 PM   #1
EricT
A Murloc Raider
Calling all Fonts

Continuing to work on my UI and decided that I need a fresh new font that pops - Arial Narrow is so bland.

So has anyone got any advice on some great fonts? Have a rough idea that I'd like something...blocky. So far Accidental Presidency has worked out the best but it's too thick to be easily readable.

The font from Weazl UI (available right here on WoWInterface) would work really well but i got no way of finding out what's that one called.

Any kind of help will be much appreciated.
07-03-10, 06:14 PM   #2
yj589794
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
there are lots of freely available fonts on http://www.dafont.com/

just make sure of the license if you are going distribute your addon and include the font.
07-03-10, 06:18 PM   #3
Wella

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
To find out what font Weazl UI uses, just download it and look in the Fonts folder. Or just copy it over yourself.

Expressway Free is a long-time favourite amongst the UI community.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
07-03-10, 06:33 PM   #4
Miralen

Honestly I like different styles of fonts for different things in my layout. So for instance, My Zone and Subzone text that appears in the center of my screen I use a font called Metropolis, while my number areas (recount, UFs, MSBT) I use a font called Neuropol, consequently actually I also use Neuropol for my chat frames as well. I am sure I am a bit odd in the sense I use a few different types of fonts for my ui layout but I like it like that.

Oh btw both those fonts can be viewed at the font site linked above. I know they aren't the typical but nowadays the typical is just getting well boring. Sadly I wish I could get inspired to try something completely new with my ui but alas, I havent so it is a fairly common layout just jazzed up with different things like fonts and such. Hope this helps.

- Winston Churchill
07-03-10, 06:59 PM   #5
EricT
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the site advice and don't worry - this UI is strictly non-public.

Also DL'ing the damn pack and checking out what fonts were used might seem like an obvious action to most - not to me. Thanks for the tip.
07-03-10, 10:15 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Have a look at these two:

http://www.dafont.com/florencesans.font
http://www.dafont.com/blue-highway.font
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-04-10, 02:50 PM   #7
EricT
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!

Gonna be using font from Weazl's UI at the moment (which was Prototype by the way). Liked Florencesans33 and Neuropol aswell but they were a bit too wide - all the texts would need to be truncated heavily to use them. Also Blue Highway Bold has a nice typeface but when testing the characters somehow seemed too small for their spaces.

Also from my experience a word of advice for anyone else who seeks to replace the fonts used:

Placing the fonts in \Fonts folder and naming them arialn.ttf or something like that so they'd replace the default fonts used is the easier option. However it creates a big mess, because you no longer have the default Arial Narrow font available and every element that used it is now using the new font whether you like it or not.
The better way to add fonts in my experience was to use Shared Media Additional Fonts mod and add customs fonts via editing the .lua file.

Anyway I am sorted for now - thanks for suggestions and tips you lot.
07-04-10, 03:19 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Or you can use MyMedia which comes with the regular SharedMedia download.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Calling all Fonts