07-23-08, 01:38 AM   #201
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
So, I encourage everyone to hit me with all your thoughts with regard to unit frames... what you like, what you don't like, features you want, etc. and I'll see how much of it I can do.
First - I'll be sending in a donation on Friday. :-) You're working hard on this, and you deserve it.

On to the point: I uploaded my new modset (with nUI the centerpiece) to my officers and other staffers for beta testing recently. The general response was an almost "panicked" level of concern over the lack of health and mana bars on the unit frames themselves. After I settled them down a bit, they seemed to be a little more accepting of the idea, but they weren't really happy about it. I've been thinking about it, trying to come with some sort of reasonable idea.

I guess most of the trouble is with the available real estate in the dashboard itself. I play on a widescreen monitor, but many do not - With a standard 4:3 ratio, you'd run out of space quite swiftly.

In a way it seems redundant, because you can see your health and mana on the HUD, but a the same time, I've played with a HUD and highly configurable unit frames for years, and I never once considered getting rid of my health and mana bars on my unit frames. So - Perhaps it's not a bad idea, if it can be made to fit.

Okay, I appear to be blathering on without getting to a point. Right, then; here's what I'd like to see:

A - Horizontal health and mana bars for self, pet, pet target, player target, tot, and totot. (I advise against vertical health/mana bars, unless you change ALL the bars on ALL the frames to vertical. 'Full' and 'Empty' should always be pointing the same direction on a dashboard)

B - Uniform appearance in the main player and target frames. What I mean is something like this:

1111 22 33
1111 22 33

Where:

1 = Player (left of minimap) or Player Target (right of minimap)
2 = Pet (left of minimap) or ToT (right of minimap)
3 = Pet Target (left of minimap) or ToToT (right of minimap)

The buff icons that appear above the dashboard can then be arranged in the same order, to reduce confusion. I think I'd dispense entirely with animated portraits for anything but the Player frame and the Player's Target frame, and just use a name instead.

I think a uniform appearance like (or similar) to that would (unfortuantely) take up a little more room, but would do a lot to helping the frames look less "busy" and more clean. New nUI users would be much more likely to stick to using the system that way, as they'd have a much more intuitive understanding of what they were looking at.

This also give you the ability to let people remove the HUD arcs and mana/health displays without their losing too much functionality.

--- One more thing:

By far, the loudest complaints I heard was from my healers. When raiding, they didn't have much of a problem, because their own toon appears in the raid frames. However, when in a party, they keep their eyes on the party frames most of the time, and those frames don't contain their own health and mana bars. As such, they reported to me that found themselves dying without knowing they were taking damage, because they were so focused on healing others and not paying attention to the HUD. This makes sense - the HUD works great for a DPS toon who's eyes are focused in the middle of the screen, because all the information they need is right there. For a healer, though, it's a little tough.

I messed around with SpartanUI for a short while, just for comparative purposes; It's the only mod I've found that has "drop in" functionality where you don't need to load custom WTF files depending on resolution and such. It doesn't compare to nUI at all, mind you - It adds virtually no functionality at all besides a dashboard (with no useful information, it just looks pretty) and custom unit frames.

Anyhow, the point is, the party unit frames in SpartanUI populate above the dashboard, right by the player's unit frame (which of course displays health and mana). This solves the problem of healers not being able to see their own health clearly, since the frames appear above (but connected) to the dashboard. Overall, the concept looks nice pretty, but they didn't lay it out very well. A modification of how it works (more linear) would probably work at least somewhat nicely. Not sure if you want to go that direction, though.

I don't have a really good solution for this one other than how SpartanUI does it. I really like the nice, compact party frames on the right of the dashboard, but, they're already quite small - Adding space for a 5th unit frame and pet frame would make it too hard to even make out the buff icons, I suspect.

It's possible that a general reorganization of the frames would yield more usable room, but as one of the worst Tetris players ever to walk the Earth, I'm the wrong person to ask. Spacial orientation is not my forte. Heh.

Anyhow, I'll put my brain to work on the subject and see if I can think of anything that'll work well.

In closing - I'm personally satisfied with the frames as they stand. I think it's great, and I've definitely gotten used to the "frame in a frame in a frame" layout of the main unit frames. Although I do miss health bars sometimes.

07-23-08, 06:27 AM   #202
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Dispite the fact that my main is 63 I have yet to actually get into a non-battlegrounds raid, so I have not comments about the raid frame. I do have some layout suggestions. For starters, I would not put anything that you might want to click on in combat too far away from the main button bars. Some of use use the keyboard minimally, and putting frames far away would be a real inconveinience to say the least. Anyhow, I'm tired and have to go to work, so I'll attatch a screenshot with notes for the rest... and it exceeds the file size allowed... I'll add it later i guess...

07-23-08, 10:43 AM   #203
gerhold
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up Very well done UI

First - Thank you for this very well done UI - works like a charm!

Gerhold

Last edited by gerhold : 07-23-08 at 10:47 AM.

07-23-08, 02:13 PM   #204
Jungleanimal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I get this when I right click on the general tab and go into settings to change the color of my messages. It happens right when I click on the color. If I click ok I can then proceed as normal and the changes work fine. I saw this one a while ago but forgot to report it.

Date: 2008-07-23 15:08:55
ID: 5
Error occured in: Global
Count: 1
attempt to index global 'CHATCONFIG_SELECTED_FILTER_SETTINGS' (a nil value)
Debug:
[C]: ?
..\FrameXML\ChatConfigFrame.lua:975: CombatConfig_Colorize_Update()
..\FrameXML\ChatConfigFrame.lua:1257: func()
[string "*:OnColorSelect"]:3:
[string "*:OnColorSelect"]:1
[C]: SetColorRGB()
..\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:961: OpenColorPicker()
..\FrameXML\ChatConfigFrame.lua:1304: MessageTypeColor_OpenColorPicker()
[string "*:OnClick"]:1:
[string "*:OnClick"]:1

07-23-08, 02:23 PM   #205
Nuteller
A Murloc Raider
dicable addon

Hello!
I need help.

I would like to remove Addons. I am a priest. If the uninstall? See my drawing.

Ich möchte folgende Addons entfernen. Ich bin Priester. Ist das zu deinstallieren?? Siehe meine Zeichnung.

Last edited by Nuteller : 07-23-08 at 02:27 PM.

07-23-08, 04:27 PM   #206
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation A little help with localization please...

I need to translate the following words and messages for localization... if anyone here speaks a language supported by WoW and is willing to help, I would appreciate it if you could translate these and let me know which language you are translating for (most of the time I'll know, but just to be sure) and which translation goes with which word/phrase -- many thanks in advance...

"Your pet" (substituted for the pet name if it doesn't have one)
"quickly"
"slowly"
"nUI: %s is happy." (%s will be replaced with pet name)
"nUI: %s is unhappy... time to feed!" (%s will be replaced with pet name)
"nUI: Warning! %s is |cFFFFFFFFNOT|r happy! Better feed soon." (%s will be replaced with pet name -- |cFFFFFFFF and |r are just the beginning and ending of a highlighted color change for the word "NOT" )
"nUI: Warning... %s is %s losing loyalty" (%s will be replaced with pet name and "quickly" or "slowly")
"nUI: %s is %s gaining loyalty" (%s will be replaced with pet name and "quickly" or "slowly")
"nUI: %s has stopped gaining loyalty" (%s will be replaced with pet name)
"nUI: %s has stopped losing loyalty" (%s will be replaced with pet name)

Last edited by spiel2001 : 07-23-08 at 04:57 PM.

07-23-08, 04:39 PM   #207
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Nuteller View Post
Hello!
I need help.

I would like to remove Addons. I am a priest. If the uninstall? See my drawing.

Ich möchte folgende Addons entfernen. Ich bin Priester. Ist das zu deinstallieren?? Siehe meine Zeichnung.

Nuteller -- I'm afraid those elements cannot be disabled at this time.

Last edited by spiel2001 : 07-23-08 at 04:41 PM.

07-23-08, 04:42 PM   #208
spiel2001
nUI's Author

To everyone else... I am reading your posts, taking notes and adding to my bug list... I'm not ignoring anyone ~smile~

07-23-08, 06:06 PM   #209
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ok... remind me that while png is a nicer format it doesn't have nearly the compression ratio of some jpgs... I have the screenshot where I took notes uploaded now... hopefully it might give you some ideas (other than that I can't draw/am an idiot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1795  

07-23-08, 08:31 PM   #210
iocontrol
A Fallenroot Satyr
Since Spiel has asked for some input, here are some things that I've grown dependent on in the way of Unit Frame features:
  • Range. I like being able to see who is within range of me in my raid/party.
  • Show only those things that I can affect. I don't need to see a million and one icons. I just need to know who is affected by things that I can cure, dispell, cleanse, or otherwise remove. Hue/Color changes to the unit frame background would probably be the best way to represent the various afflictions (Green for Poison, Yellow for Disease, Orange for Curse, Blue for Magical, Red for Aggro).
  • Show healing in real time. Pitbull managed to be able to show me the amount I was going to heal somebody for in relation to their real hit points. (Meaning, if they took damage, the projected heal amount would move accordingly) ... not so much a necessary thing. Just nice to know so I don't over heal.
  • Click casting. I find the old way of targeting heals, buffs, and debuffs to be unsatisfactory as I do not wield the necessary skills to swap targets fast enough or with the required accuracy.
  • I like my raid and party frames to be organized in such a manner that at a mere glance I can tell who is what class, which group they belong to, how much health/power they have left, and if they have aggro.

Your HUD presents all the necessary information in regards to enemies so I'm not to sure what else would be required.

I'm sure that's asking a bit. But that is what I've grown dependent upon. I hope that it gives you some ideas or at least adds to the weights of certain planned features.

Last edited by iocontrol : 07-23-08 at 08:35 PM. Reason: A little clarification ...

07-23-08, 08:56 PM   #211
Jungleanimal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So, here is my raid in combat screenie for tonight. I changed a couple of things, mainly the scale and raid bar notication locations.

07-23-08, 10:24 PM   #212
Jungleanimal
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Oh, just thought of something that was very helpful with xperle before. When doing quests and the quest item was on an action button it would be highlighted when you were doing the quest. For instance, when I take off on the bombing run for the Isle of D the Arcane Charges are highlighted so I know it is what is needed. That is not a must have but it is a nice to have if it isn't to hard to code.

Jungle

07-23-08, 11:19 PM   #213
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by iocontrol View Post
Since Spiel has asked for some input, here are some things that I've grown dependent on in the way of Unit Frame features:

Range. I like being able to see who is within range of me in my raid/party.
Pit Bull does this by partly fading out the frames of those out of range.
Show only those things that I can affect. I don't need to see a million and one icons. I just need to know who is affected by things that I can cure, dispell, cleanse, or otherwise remove. Hue/Color changes to the unit frame background would probably be the best way to represent the various afflictions (Green for Poison, Yellow for Disease, Orange for Curse, Blue for Magical, Red for Aggro).
A handy idea, but if implemented I hope there is an option to turn filtering off.
Show healing in real time. Pitbull managed to be able to show me the amount I was going to heal somebody for in relation to their real hit points. (Meaning, if they took damage, the projected heal amount would move accordingly) ... not so much a necessary thing. Just nice to know so I don't over heal.
Pitbull used a module in conjunction with DrDamage to display potential healing on the health bar during casting.

Click casting. I find the old way of targeting heals, buffs, and debuffs to be unsatisfactory as I do not wield the necessary skills to swap targets fast enough or with the required accuracy.
Probably the only thing needed to do this is make it so that the unitframes can hook into a 3rd party addon if you choose.
I like my raid and party frames to be organized in such a manner that at a mere glance I can tell who is what class, which group they belong to, how much health/power they have left, and if they have aggro.
I agree

Your HUD presents all the necessary information in regards to enemies so I'm not to sure what else would be required.

I'm sure that's asking a bit. But that is what I've grown dependent upon. I hope that it gives you some ideas or at least adds to the weights of certain planned features.
I think other than tweaks to make it "pretty" or go with a text only option, the hud is fine, and unless it breaks, should be left alone. LOVE the health race bar, btw.

I think this addon is very smart in that where the intent is, it excels. It's a strong foundation to build a custom ui around. What I'm thinking is that perhaps what there is now could be tweaked and polished, and then perhaps you could leave certain things open ended, where other people could code modules to plug into the core addon, a la PitBull, Fubar, Cartographer, Titan Bar, et. al. If this would require a complete recoding in favor of a new philosophy, I say it's probably not worth the effort, but if it could be done with what is in place, this probably could be even better and more well recieved than mazzleui was in it first surged onto the scene.

I may be blowing smoke out of my <murlock ate your word>, but that's my thoughts on the subject atm.

07-24-08, 08:11 AM   #214
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I have, what i think, an awsome idea. I just cant pull it off with unti mods out there.

In the UI u have 4 boxes, 2 either side of minimap. Now my idea is to put Raid and Party frames in those for those who want it.

What i mean is have and option to turn off the bars in those boxes either side of the minimap, and while in a party show the party frames in those boxes and when in a raid have the raid frames in there. 1 raid group per box either side of the minimap. Now i understand the delema u alot of people are facing with the size of the raid frames, but i thought if the raid frames only showed the health bar with the player name inside it it would work. at least for healers (which my i do have) it would be good.

I would post a screen shot showing u roughly wat i mean but i am unsure how to post in these forums.

I have also posted this on the addons page as well. As i wasnt sure where to post it

Oh just a small request, doesnt really matter if it is implemented or not, but compatibilty with LibSharedMedia, as i like to use the same texture for everything just so it looks nice and looks like it all belongs together. Like i said it isnt really important just thougt i would through it in while u were asking for suggestions

Last edited by gothicknight : 07-24-08 at 08:15 AM.

07-24-08, 08:43 AM   #215
spiel2001
nUI's Author

As a matter of record, I do intend to add plugin bars to nUI when the core development has become stable and the GUI config is in place... a la Titan or FuBar and use those bars as a means to allow other modders to extend nUI... but that's obviously a bit down the road.

I appreciate the feedback I'm getting from everyone -- very much.

07-24-08, 12:32 PM   #216
cherkhan
A Kobold Labourer
Cool compliments and suggestions :D

First of all I have to say: Friggin awesome mod! I have been looking for a UI like this for a long time and you have found a magical way of putting what I want, where I want it (wow, that sounds kinda...um...nevermind).

Anywho, I do have some suggestions. Take them as you will (this is your mod of course and I know nothing of how to do this) but just somethings I found while using it. I play a multitude of characters (call it ADD) and find the aggro/threat bar annoying while playing certain characters. I'd like to see an option to toggle this on or off. Also, and I think this might have been brought up, I'd LOVE to see a pet xp bar for the hunters I play. Again, just some comments, take em or leave em (you know you want to take em, though :P)

So that's it. Love love love LOVE the mod. I appreciate your time and effort (which I'm sure was immense). Have a great day!

07-25-08, 12:38 AM   #217
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Thanks for the kind word Cherkhan --

Adding a toggle for the threat bar is do-able. I'll add it to the list.

The pet XP bar has come up many times and I'll add it eventually, but not in the near term. It's functionally important, but low on the list of priorities versus the unit frames and some other issues I'm hammering on.

Again... many thanks.

Originally Posted by cherkhan View Post
First of all I have to say: Friggin awesome mod! I have been looking for a UI like this for a long time and you have found a magical way of putting what I want, where I want it (wow, that sounds kinda...um...nevermind).

Anywho, I do have some suggestions. Take them as you will (this is your mod of course and I know nothing of how to do this) but just somethings I found while using it. I play a multitude of characters (call it ADD) and find the aggro/threat bar annoying while playing certain characters. I'd like to see an option to toggle this on or off. Also, and I think this might have been brought up, I'd LOVE to see a pet xp bar for the hunters I play. Again, just some comments, take em or leave em (you know you want to take em, though :P)

So that's it. Love love love LOVE the mod. I appreciate your time and effort (which I'm sure was immense). Have a great day!

07-25-08, 01:58 AM   #218
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Eureka! I think I got it!

Okay...

So, I've been jamming code a couple of days now on the new unit frames and I'm really psyched about the design. I think it's going to rock in the long run for performance, for reconfigurability and expandability. The new unit frames are going to blow you away.

But... along the way I've been struggling to figure out how to deal with the size issue for the party frames and the raid frames. Anyway... I'm laying in bed trying to get to sleep with my mind gnawing away on the problem when it hit me. ~Lol~ I actually had to get out of bed to write it down so I didn't forget. I am SUCH a geek.

Here's what I came up with and I'd like some feedback before I invest the energy in doing it... What I came up with was to turn the entire center section of the dashboard into something similar to the information panel that's on the right side only this will be strictly for unit frame information.

I can use the entire area of the player, pet, pet target, minimap and location, target, ToT and ToTT as one large panel that you can toggle into three states: (1) player/target mode (basically what we have now including the minimap), (2) party mode which would show the player, all four party members and everyone's pets and targets (not sure if I can fit the minimap in that one or not -- maybe a small version of it) and (3) raid mode which would fill the center section with all of the raid units and room to spare.

I could provide both clickable buttons to select the mode and keybindings to change modes.

So... what are everyone's thoughts on this idea?

07-25-08, 03:26 AM   #219
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Ok i love this idea.

Now i need some help/suggestions on how to tweak certain things and possible bug reports;

1) I noticed your (Spiel) zone map could have the hidden areas appear (in green), how can i do this. I tried in cartographer but it covered the zone map with unexplored.

2) On my rogue i get a cooldown for 'Shiv', where shiv has no cooldown and it appears on the nUI cooldown moniter. Secondly all cooldowns reset when joining a new arena, but this is not reflected in nUI always, e.g. 'premeditation' cooldown is 0min(after joining new arena) and the timer in the hud shows 1:30.

3) When entering and leaving arena's, debuffs i had from the last arena appear on my ToT in the hud when joining a new arena. Also my health upon leaving the previous arena doesn'y always update when i join a new one, i.e. if i leave x arena at 20%, i join y arena at 100%, but it appears in the hud to be on 20%.

Keep up the great work

Last edited by noble8 : 07-25-08 at 03:28 AM.

07-25-08, 04:40 AM   #220
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Okay...

So, I've been jamming code a couple of days now on the new unit frames and I'm really psyched about the design. I think it's going to rock in the long run for performance, for reconfigurability and expandability. The new unit frames are going to blow you away.

But... along the way I've been struggling to figure out how to deal with the size issue for the party frames and the raid frames. Anyway... I'm laying in bed trying to get to sleep with my mind gnawing away on the problem when it hit me. ~Lol~ I actually had to get out of bed to write it down so I didn't forget. I am SUCH a geek.

Here's what I came up with and I'd like some feedback before I invest the energy in doing it... What I came up with was to turn the entire center section of the dashboard into something similar to the information panel that's on the right side only this will be strictly for unit frame information.

I can use the entire area of the player, pet, pet target, minimap and location, target, ToT and ToTT as one large panel that you can toggle into three states: (1) player/target mode (basically what we have now including the minimap), (2) party mode which would show the player, all four party members and everyone's pets and targets (not sure if I can fit the minimap in that one or not -- maybe a small version of it) and (3) raid mode which would fill the center section with all of the raid units and room to spare.

I could provide both clickable buttons to select the mode and keybindings to change modes.

So... what are everyone's thoughts on this idea?
Not sure if i quite follow your description, but it sounds like a good idea!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement