08-05-08, 12:28 AM   #301
vAzNKNiGHT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This addon is perhaps the best one yet I've seen, keep up the good work. Can't wait for the next update!!

I have a few suggestions here, please bear in mind they're simply suggestions:
- Integrate nQuestLog, QuestHelper, TomTom, Lightheaded and Combuctor with nUI.
- Scale the worldmap down so that it doesn't take up the whole screen when it is open.

So far so good, keep it up!!

08-05-08, 04:32 AM   #302
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Talking First peek at the new Solo Player unit frame panel

I know there are lot's of you who have been patiently waiting the last two weeks for the Beta 2. Well... I'm not quite ready for a release yet, but I thought I would tease you all with a peek at what the new unit frames look like and what I believe will be the look of the Solo/Player unit frame panel when I release. I'm still tweaking the other panels, hope to have some party and raid screen shots tomorrow.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, fire away... now's a good time BEFORE I release it ~smile~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_Details.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1812  Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_Mouseover.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1813  Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_NoMouseover.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1814  

08-05-08, 06:25 AM   #303
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I know there are lot's of you who have been patiently waiting the last two weeks for the Beta 2. Well... I'm not quite ready for a release yet, but I thought I would tease you all with a peek at what the new unit frames look like and what I believe will be the look of the Solo/Player unit frame panel when I release. I'm still tweaking the other panels, hope to have some party and raid screen shots tomorrow.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, fire away... now's a good time BEFORE I release it ~smile~
- With the focus unit frame placed there, what happens to the minimap? Will that region of the dashboard become multipurpose like the battleground map / party / raid section to the right?

- After playing for several hours last night, both as a Warrior tank, and as a Rogue, all I can do is shower more praise. I found only two minor glitches:

- When I was playing my rogue, and in stealth, my Distract skill button on my stealth skill bar always showed "grayed out", as if the skill was unavailable. I was able to use Distract just fine - but the button had the appearance of being unusable.

- When I opened my bags, I couldn't click directly on the red "X" in the upper right corner of a bag to close it individually. I had to hold the mouse about a 1/2 cm to the right of the "X" and click.

- I tend to use a third, user-created chat Window that I call "social" that is filtered for guild chat, party chat and whispers. I place it above the normal chat window. With nUI installed, whenever the UI reloads (including exiting / reloading the game), my extra chat window re-docks with the standard chat windows. This is just a minor annoyance, but is there any way to prevent it?

- Another third party AddOn that I'd still use in conjunction with nUI is EasyURL, which makes clickable URL's in chat. That would be a nice, commonly requested feature to add that would eliminate the need for another AddOn.

Last edited by Archippus : 08-05-08 at 07:32 AM.

08-05-08, 06:34 AM   #304
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
all i can say is WOW. It looks awsome well done.

A couple of things tho, and please feel free to ignore if u wish but, with that center target frame, the one with the vertical health/mana bars, is that the target frame?? I hope so. and will u be puttin in option to make all the untiframes look like that, with the vertical bars eitherside of the full character image, If not no big deal. I so cant wait till this is released

Once again well done. and thank you for the hard work your are putting into this

08-05-08, 10:14 AM   #305
Seer
A Molten Giant
Thumbs up

Thanks for those, looks great.

If I do have to make a small remark is the space between the unit frames, but I guess you'll be using those for buffs/debuffs ? (maybe alter the background texture a little if time permits to make it less.. erm.. repeative? Not sure if that's what I try to relay as it's not really the same look..but it does have some large "unused" space in the screenshots)

Love the placing of the focus frame btw, should help out a lot with keeping an eye on a second target.

Does this btw mean we lose a few buttons ? (just wondering, looks like 2 banks are gone. Shouldn't impact myself much )

Again thanks for your time and support.

Last edited by Seer : 08-05-08 at 10:26 AM.

08-05-08, 11:42 AM   #306
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

ok... so some sugestions before 2.0 is released...

I like the built in aggro notification system. However, i play wearing headphones, and when it makes that booming noise after you get close to pulling aggro it nearly ruptures my eardrums. Is there any way to make it so you can turn it down/off? even a slash command would be fine =D I have a tendancy to skirt the line on aggro management when I'm close to finishing off a mob with my hunter, and I almost have to yank my headphones off when I know I'm getting close to pulling aggro off my pet.

That's all I can think of right now.

08-05-08, 12:34 PM   #307
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Let me start by saying I'm really glad to have gotten all of this feedback today. It does really help the design and development process.

Originally Posted by Archippus View Post
- With the focus unit frame placed there, what happens to the minimap? Will that region of the dashboard become multipurpose like the battleground map / party / raid section to the right?
The minimap is moved to the information panel and now is part of the rotation with the battleground map, party, raid, etc... and that's actually one of the things that's holding me up is I'm having some bug issues with it at the moment. The party and raid are no longer on the right side, the center section that you see the screenshot of in my last post is now multipurposed with its own button... it has a solo/player mode which you see in the screenshot, a group/party mode, a ten player raid mode, a 15 player raid mode (i.e. battlegrounds), a 25 player raid mode and a 40 player raid mode... so, you have one button below the chat window that toggles which type of unit frames you have in the center of the dashboard and a second button on the right you click to toggle information modes... minimap, battleground map, damage, threat, etc. One of the cool things is that the new design actually allows third party authors to plug new panels into either region and add them to the rotation button.

- After playing for several hours last night, both as a Warrior tank, and as a Rogue, all I can do is shower more praise.
Thank you ~smile~

I found only two minor glitches:

- When I was playing my rogue, and in stealth, my Distract skill button on my stealth skill bar always showed "grayed out", as if the skill was unavailable. I was able to use Distract just fine - but the button had the appearance of being unusable.
There are a few buttons that do this and I have yet to have figured out why... the hunter's feed pet button is another that has that problem. Once I get the beta settled back down, I'll be getting back to hunting down these kinds of buttons.

- When I opened my bags, I couldn't click directly on the red "X" in the upper right corner of a bag to close it individually. I had to hold the mouse about a 1/2 cm to the right of the "X" and click.
I have seen this lately on a lot of windows... however, I don't think it is nUI (I could be wrong) because I have seen it when playing with no mods installed at all. It seems to be related to using Bliz's built in "Use UI Scale" option... if I turn that off, the buttons all work as advertised, turn it on and things start getting wierd, like having to click on the edge of a button to get it to see the click and stuff.

- I tend to use a third, user-created chat Window that I call "social" that is filtered for guild chat, party chat and whispers. I place it above the normal chat window. With nUI installed, whenever the UI reloads (including exiting / reloading the game), my extra chat window re-docks with the standard chat windows. This is just a minor annoyance, but is there any way to prevent it?
Hey... that's three things. You've used up you alloted quota of "I only found two minor glitches" ~grin~

Actually, this is a subject that has come up many times. So, everyone will be happy to hear that Beta 2 only manages the main chat frame and the combat log. You *should* be able to add extra chat windows and place them wherever you like. (I haven't tested it yet actually). nUI will not attempt to pick up the extra windows anymore.

- Another third party AddOn that I'd still use in conjunction with nUI is EasyURL, which makes clickable URL's in chat. That would be a nice, commonly requested feature to add that would eliminate the need for another AddOn.
There are major plans for the chat frame on the left. In Beta 2 the combat log has been moved to the information panel on the right side and made part of that rotation leaving the chat window all alone on the left side. Again, when things get settled down that chat window is going to become something like WIM with whisper tabs and options for date/time stamps, keeping a whisper history, coloring, etc. So... in due time, your wish will indeed be my command. ~smile~

08-05-08, 12:39 PM   #308
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by vAzNKNiGHT View Post
This addon is perhaps the best one yet I've seen, keep up the good work. Can't wait for the next update!!

I have a few suggestions here, please bear in mind they're simply suggestions:
- Integrate nQuestLog, QuestHelper, TomTom, Lightheaded and Combuctor with nUI.
- Scale the worldmap down so that it doesn't take up the whole screen when it is open.

So far so good, keep it up!!
vAzNKINGHT --

I use QuestHelper with nUI now and I am pretty sure I've seen more than one nUI user comment on using Combuctor. I'm not familiar with the other mods you listed. In any event, while I would never say never, I wouldn't anticipate trying to write a replacement for a mod like QuestHelper... it already does what it does well enough and I'm not sure how much "benefit" there would be in integrating it. That said, if you have specific ideas why it would be a good idea to integrate them, I'm all ears.

The world map is an area I would like to address... I just haven't because I seem to break it every time I try ~grin~ That said, Cartographer seems to work pretty well with nUI and I love how it adds combat info to the battlefield minimap in battleground raids. So, until I figure out the magic that is the world map, I would recommend Cartographer.

Thanks much for the kind word.

08-05-08, 12:42 PM   #309
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
all i can say is WOW. It looks awsome well done.

A couple of things tho, and please feel free to ignore if u wish but, with that center target frame, the one with the vertical health/mana bars, is that the target frame?? I hope so. and will u be puttin in option to make all the untiframes look like that, with the vertical bars eitherside of the full character image, If not no big deal. I so cant wait till this is released

Once again well done. and thank you for the hard work your are putting into this
Gothicknight -- The unit at the bottom center is the player focus and I do like that layout for the unit frame a lot. It's clean and compact. You will see that "style" reappear in the other panels.

08-05-08, 12:50 PM   #310
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Thanks for those, looks great.

If I do have to make a small remark is the space between the unit frames, but I guess you'll be using those for buffs/debuffs ? (maybe alter the background texture a little if time permits to make it less.. erm.. repeative? Not sure if that's what I try to relay as it's not really the same look..but it does have some large "unused" space in the screenshots)
You are correct... the unused space is for buffs and debuffs. I have tried using backgrounds in the zones that are reserved for them and it just looks really weird... far more visually annoying than the blank space and when the icons start appearing in the space, it looks less awkward than in these screenshots.

Love the placing of the focus frame btw, should help out a lot with keeping an eye on a second target.
I like that, as well... I also love the style of that unit frame. I find it very simple and easy on the eye. As I noted a post or two ago, you'll see more of that in the other frames.

Does this btw mean we lose a few buttons ? (just wondering, looks like 2 banks are gone. Shouldn't impact myself much )
Actually, no, you've gained 4 buttons... you just can't see them in this screencap. If you're observant, you'll note that the chat frame on the left and the info frame on the right have been moved up to the top edge of the dashboard in line with the two secondary action bars. The bag bar has also been moved up and is no longer "on" the dashboard but is, rather, directly above it on the right side.

There is now a space below the chat frame and another bewlow the info frame if you look closely at the screen caps. I've used that space for the two utility action bars and the buttons for selecting the panel modes. So, instead of two 2x5 utility bars, you now have 2 1x12 bars.

Again thanks for your time and support.
My pleasure... I do love being a geek ~grin~

08-05-08, 12:52 PM   #311
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Ratheri View Post
ok... so some sugestions before 2.0 is released...

I like the built in aggro notification system. However, i play wearing headphones, and when it makes that booming noise after you get close to pulling aggro it nearly ruptures my eardrums. Is there any way to make it so you can turn it down/off? even a slash command would be fine =D I have a tendancy to skirt the line on aggro management when I'm close to finishing off a mob with my hunter, and I almost have to yank my headphones off when I know I'm getting close to pulling aggro off my pet.

That's all I can think of right now.
Ratheri -- I don't think that boom is coming from me. I don't remember coding in any sound other than the one for when you flag PvP. I'll go look back to make sure I didn't do it and forget about it.

By the way... the new unit frames have an option to have an agro bar right on the unit frame... showing percent of tanks threat like a health/mana bar.

How cool is that? ~grin~

08-05-08, 02:29 PM   #312
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Hey... that's three things. You've used up you alloted quota of "I only found two minor glitches" ~grin~
Nay, I say! Glitches and annoyances are on two totally separate quota systems, as they are different concepts altogether.

GLITCH
1 a: a usually minor malfunction <a glitch in a spacecraft's fuel cell>; also :
2 a: bug 2 b: a minor problem that causes a temporary setback :

ANNOYANCE
1 : a source of vexation or irritation snag

08-05-08, 02:35 PM   #313
spiel2001
nUI's Author

~roflmao~ Touche!

Nay, I say! Glitches and annoyances are on two totally separate quota systems, as they are different concepts altogether.

GLITCH
1 a: a usually minor malfunction <a glitch in a spacecraft's fuel cell>; also :
2 a: bug 2 b: a minor problem that causes a temporary setback :

ANNOYANCE
1 : a source of vexation or irritation snag

08-05-08, 02:52 PM   #314
Archippus
A Cyclonian
*chuckle*

This may have already been answered and my addled brain just missed it, but how does the future of nUI look beyond WotLK?

08-05-08, 02:56 PM   #315
spiel2001
nUI's Author

*chuckle*

This may have already been answered and my addled brain just missed it, but how does the future of nUI look beyond WotLK?

I have already been notified that I will be receiving a WotLK beta key... I just haven't received it. As soon as I do, I will begin the process of preparing nUI for the release. I consider it my mission to have nUI WotLK ready by the time Bliz opens the door... we'll see how successful I am at that. ~smile~

08-05-08, 03:10 PM   #316
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Post For those who are interested...

I was interviewed a couple of weeks ago by Xenoronin for his "Pimp My UI" newsletter on the WoW-Europe forums and that interview appeared in this week's edition. Anyone who is interested in reading it can do so at http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....76029242&sid=1

Many thanks to Xenoronin for my 15 seconds of fame

08-05-08, 06:49 PM   #317
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
For those who are wondering where the BOOM!! is coming from when u r about to pull aggro, that is OMEN2. U can disable it through the options in the omen config menu

Speil will there be options to turn off all those extra frames. This is gunna sound really stupid but i have no need for a focus frame, as i dont no what is is. I have been playin for about 3yrs and i still have no idea what a focus traget is and how it works (the only frames i have ever used is player, pet, target, ToT and pet target as wells as party and raid frames.

I do hope having all the unitframes look like that focus frame in your screens shots is an option as they look really sweet

Regardless this is still my favourite UI. I used to change UI's weekly now i dont give other UI's a second look. This is a great piece of work.

08-05-08, 08:13 PM   #318
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
For those who are wondering where the BOOM!! is coming from when u r about to pull aggro, that is OMEN2. U can disable it through the options in the omen config menu

Speil will there be options to turn off all those extra frames. This is gunna sound really stupid but i have no need for a focus frame, as i dont no what is is. I have been playin for about 3yrs and i still have no idea what a focus traget is and how it works (the only frames i have ever used is player, pet, target, ToT and pet target as wells as party and raid frames.

I do hope having all the unitframes look like that focus frame in your screens shots is an option as they look really sweet

Regardless this is still my favourite UI. I used to change UI's weekly now i dont give other UI's a second look. This is a great piece of work.
I feel you on the focus thing... i just started using it recently, and it comes in really handy on escort quests or if you need to target a particular mob/player frequently throught the course of events. type /focus while targeting a particular entity to make it your focus target.

I'll check omen and turn that sound off... somebody needs to tell the devs it's too loud...

08-05-08, 09:31 PM   #319
dannybuckle
A Defias Bandit

Clickable Portrat

Firstly - AMAZING!!! Such a great addon
I Just joined WoWInterface just to be a part of this WoW-UI-REVOLUTION.

I've read through this thread, and thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.
(the rest of my cash was spent on fuel) *cry*

Just wondering if maybe you could make the unit frames clickable with
chosen spells. ie. left-click on "partyMember1" = /cast healing wave
Right-Click = /cast Mark Of The Wild
Middle-Button = tell player their butt looks big in that armour

Im sure I saw someone else say this, but since you are working on Beta 2,
Just though that I'd say that I would Love this addition.(any maybe make Portrate have Red/Green border to tell if inRange/notInRange)

Just a thought. No pressure of course. Ill keep on using this mod even without
the changes. I Love It!!!

08-05-08, 10:09 PM   #320
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by dannybuckle View Post
Firstly - AMAZING!!! Such a great addon
I Just joined WoWInterface just to be a part of this WoW-UI-REVOLUTION.

I've read through this thread, and thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.
(the rest of my cash was spent on fuel) *cry*

Just wondering if maybe you could make the unit frames clickable with
chosen spells. ie. left-click on "partyMember1" = /cast healing wave
Right-Click = /cast Mark Of The Wild
Middle-Button = tell player their butt looks big in that armour

Im sure I saw someone else say this, but since you are working on Beta 2,
Just though that I'd say that I would Love this addition.(any maybe make Portrate have Red/Green border to tell if inRange/notInRange)

Just a thought. No pressure of course. Ill keep on using this mod even without
the changes. I Love It!!!
nUI is already capable of supporting that ability. The unit frames are click-ready and compatible with AddOns like Clique. I have a tank and my wife is my priest, and I installed nUI on her computer last night along with Clique and it worked like a champ.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement