01-29-09, 01:47 AM   #1
shiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
How to save all WoW settings?

If you wish to save and restore all of your WoW settings (i.e. having found good settings but wanting to try something different with the option to go back to the old ones), you could simply backup your WTF folder in WoW Burning Crusade and Classic. But now with Blizzard storing a lot of the settings remotely, this is no longer an option.
Is there a new and easy way to do so, now? I know that there is some option (*) that disables remote storage, but is there a better way?

With regards to (*), does it have to be set on all PCs you are launching WoW from or just on one and the other ones learn about it via the remote storage?

bye
shiin
01-29-09, 04:32 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by shiin View Post
If you wish to save and restore all of your WoW settings (i.e. having found good settings but wanting to try something different with the option to go back to the old ones), you could simply backup your WTF folder in WoW Burning Crusade and Classic. But now with Blizzard storing a lot of the settings remotely, this is no longer an option.
Is there a new and easy way to do so, now? I know that there is some option (*) that disables remote storage, but is there a better way?

With regards to (*), does it have to be set on all PCs you are launching WoW from or just on one and the other ones learn about it via the remote storage?

bye
shiin
If you are running WoW on a Windows XP system, it still uses the Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF folder. With Vista the WTF is the same, just its stored in a different location (someone else can provide the path as I don't run Vista). In either case its just a simple matter of backing up that entire folder then if you want to restore, delete the existing WTF folder and placing your backup WTF folder its place.
01-29-09, 07:56 AM   #3
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
If you are running WoW on a Windows XP system, it still uses the Program Files/World of Warcraft/WTF folder. With Vista the WTF is the same, just its stored in a different location (someone else can provide the path as I don't run Vista). In either case its just a simple matter of backing up that entire folder then if you want to restore, delete the existing WTF folder and placing your backup WTF folder its place.
Really, I have to recommend, if you are playing WoW on a Vista system, DO NOT install WoW in a subdirectory of Program files. Frankly, if you don't put it in it's own directory, it just makes things more of a pain than it has to be.
01-29-09, 08:12 AM   #4
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Ratheri View Post
Really, I have to recommend, if you are playing WoW on a Vista system, DO NOT install WoW in a subdirectory of Program files. Frankly, if you don't put it in it's own directory, it just makes things more of a pain than it has to be.
Yup I agree even if I don't use it I know its so far to be game friendly that's why I jumped back to XP but about wow setting all you have to care is your Interface/AddOns and WoW/WTF folders and optionaly your screenshot dirs, then put that on a usb key and you can duplicate your own client by just copying dirs, I don't think there is any better way than than , think to pack the folders with 7-zip winrar winzip etc so it saves space, the 17Mb WTF folder here just takes 3Mb zipped with 7-Zip
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
01-29-09, 12:47 PM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Ratheri View Post
Like I said earlier, I don't have a Vista system. However my WoW install is non-standard as I have two WoW folders (each named differently, one is a previous version of WoW for WoW Model Viewer).

I back up my WTF and Interface (I have many custom textures) to another drive so if WoW does go belly up, its real easy to restore my UI.
01-29-09, 02:03 PM   #6
shiin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thanks for the answers, but this method actually does no longer work consistently with various settings (not addon- but wow-settings) being saved online.

Just try the following:
- backup your wtf folder
- start the game
- change a keybinding
- leave the game
- cioy your folder back
- restart the game

and behold, the keybinding is still changed. This applies to several other interface settings as well that all could be changed by addons you try out.
01-29-09, 02:08 PM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by shiin View Post
Thanks for the answers, but this method actually does no longer work consistently with various settings (not addon- but wow-settings) being saved online.

Just try the following:
- backup your wtf folder
- start the game
- change a keybinding
- leave the game
- cioy your folder back
- restart the game

and behold, the keybinding is still changed. This applies to several other interface settings as well that all could be changed by addons you try out.
Most of your WoW settings are still in the WTF folder, this includes your Chat layouts, any UF settings etc.

Macros (via the Macros menu), Key Bindings (if you use the default keybindings menu or a mod that interacts with the default Blizzard keybindings), and Action Bar postions and some camera settings are stored on the Blizzard server. However everything else is still contained in your WTF folder.
01-29-09, 02:25 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

For Vista users when they installed the bridge patch, the game asks if you want to move it to C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft If they allowed it, then that's where the game should now be.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How to save all WoW settings?