09-05-12, 03:35 AM   #141
Aznamir
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hm... I just sent a short email to worlfofaddons yesterday morning, asking them to remove my stuff (PallyPower and Boomkinator). I did not receive any response, but it seems that they are gone from their site. No confirmation or verification was needed.
09-05-12, 04:30 AM   #142
tinyu
A Molten Giant

maybe MMOUI should buy TTH kinda how Curse bought MMO-Champ?
09-05-12, 08:11 AM   #143
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Jpapertowels View Post
I didn't need the code, apparently apache redirect to trolololo was enough!
Nice idea ... but now your website is down ... hope your joke did not backfire ...
09-05-12, 08:12 AM   #144
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
maybe MMOUI should buy TTH kinda how Curse bought MMO-Champ?
curse + mmoc made sense ... I fail to see where buying tth would be an improvement
09-05-12, 11:31 AM   #145
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
curse + mmoc made sense ... I fail to see where buying tth would be an improvement
That would be like coupling with the devil. And they would leave laughing: would made profit by stealing your (and the authors) stuff and forcing you to buy them back.
09-05-12, 09:10 PM   #146
tinyu
A Molten Giant

buy it then close it down lol.
09-06-12, 02:17 AM   #147
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You mean like Facebook does?

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
09-06-12, 12:10 PM   #148
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
buy it then close it down lol.
And they could just open a new one! Great fun!
Please, let's keep this thread serious, regarding only the situation we're facing, and not imagining possible business scenarios. Whatever WoWInterface or Curse decide to do, that is up to them. This thread is about authors, not hosting sites.
09-08-12, 06:18 AM   #149
Phanx
Cat.

These guys are either retarded, or just d*cks. Even after we went through the whole song and dance of getting them to take my addons down, they went and added several more that weren't there originally. Did they seriously think that "hey, you're illegally distributing my addons A, B, and C, stop it" somehow meant "but it's okay to host X, Y, and Z"?

Last edited by Phanx : 09-08-12 at 06:35 AM.
09-08-12, 09:24 AM   #150
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The lawyers are interested in a class action suit. No, seriously. They think we, the authors, have a good case. The upside is that we could bring WoA down, teach them and anyone else a lesson in copyright, and quite possibly get paid damages.

It is not worth it to go after them one by one, but the suit is viable.
09-08-12, 10:01 PM   #151
Phanx
Cat.

They appear to have taken down the new ones promptly, but if someone with an account can double-check that they didn't just make them visible to logged-in users only, that'd be great.

(1) http://www.worldofaddons.com/wow/phanxbuffs
(2) http://www.worldofaddons.com/wow/phanxchat

If you do get anything going with a suit, myrroddin, I'd be happy to sign on; PM me for any info you need from me. I understand the motivation behind copyright infringement when you're taking $20+ movie that not everyone can afford (or even access legally) and distributing it for free as a torrent or something, but when you're taking a work that's already available to everyone, for free, directly from its creator and distributing it illegally to make money off ad impressions, you're not doing anyone a favor; you're just sleazy.
09-08-12, 10:25 PM   #152
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
'You are trying to access a path that is unavailable.' Thats with me logged in.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
09-09-12, 03:03 PM   #153
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
They appear to have taken down the new ones promptly, but if someone with an account can double-check that they didn't just make them visible to logged-in users only, that'd be great.

(1) http://www.worldofaddons.com/wow/phanxbuffs
(2) http://www.worldofaddons.com/wow/phanxchat

If you do get anything going with a suit, myrroddin, I'd be happy to sign on; PM me for any info you need from me. I understand the motivation behind copyright infringement when you're taking $20+ movie that not everyone can afford (or even access legally) and distributing it for free as a torrent or something, but when you're taking a work that's already available to everyone, for free, directly from its creator and distributing it illegally to make money off ad impressions, you're not doing anyone a favor; you're just sleazy.
I would sign the suit as well.
09-10-12, 07:28 AM   #154
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't mind getting the ball rolling, just so long as people are aware that if I do, lawyers cost money and want to get paid.
09-10-12, 09:15 AM   #155
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

@myrroddin
That's a given. However:
Who pays the lawyers in a class action lawsuit?
In a class action for money damages, lawyers who represent the class are generally paid out of the money that's recovered - called a "common fund" - for the people they are representing. In class actions involving declaratory judgments or injunctive relief, lawyers may be paid by the people who hired them, or in some cases, by the people or companies they are suing.

Attorney's fee awards are subject to court review and approval. Ordinarily, if an award is made in a common fund case, it will be awarded as a percentage of the total money available for the class. A benchmark award generally accepted by the courts is approximately 25 percent of the total, although the award may be adjusted higher or lower, depending on the specific facts of a case.
09-10-12, 09:59 PM   #156
TheRealArkayn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Punitive damages would probably make up the entirety of the common fund because direct damages would be almost impossible to prove. With that said, start thinking of how they could be proven. I keep checking for my add-ons but so far it doesn't look like I'll be joining in on the class action suit. Not sure if I should be happy about that or not. lol
09-10-12, 10:13 PM   #157
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
@myrroddin
That's a given. However:
I don't even care about getting any money. As far as I'm concerned, the lawyers can keep everything they can get.
09-11-12, 07:48 AM   #158
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

For those interested, send me a PM either here or on WowAce for my contact information. If I get enough people responding to make anything worthwhile, then we will move forward. It is Myrroddin here, myrroddin on WowAce. Let me know if you want other authors to become aware you are on the list. At this time, I do not know if we should be concerned with quantity of authors or quantity of projects, but either way, more is better.

Some things to note, which are "duh" but just in case:
  • If your projects are free by license, meaning your projects are open source, freeware, etc, then your moral support is appreciated, but actual support won't help
  • In your toc files, having the line ## X-License: (c) some date FirstName LastName (or author name, or both) is a good idea
  • Having specified a license on your project is also good, but All Rights Reserved is acceptable. The lawyers I talked to did say that if you include a License.txt file with your project that is better
  • Your copyright date is whatever you specified or automatically by creation date
If you have more questions (I would think there are many) feel free to ask, even if you are not joining, not interested, or just curious.

@Phanx: I'm with you. Money, if we get any, is good, but that is entirely beside the point. I would much rather send the message.

@everybody: the first step would probably be a class-based Cease and Desist; even if your projects have already been taken down by World of Addons, you were victimized and still entitled and welcome to join.
09-11-12, 03:18 PM   #159
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
[*]Having specified a license on your project is also good, but All Rights Reserved is acceptable. The lawyers I talked to did say that if you include a License.txt file with your project that is better
Did they happen to tell you which are the most appropriate licenses? I still had not the chance to talk with my lawyer regarding the issue, probably only next week.
Originally Posted by phanx
I don't even care about getting any money. As far as I'm concerned, the lawyers can keep everything they can get.
I sub to that.
09-11-12, 08:27 PM   #160
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Jali, no, they did not specify as yet. I have one PM so far, and if there is (a lot) more interest, I'll go back to the lawyers and learn fine details.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » /sigh ... Here we go again