Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
09-14-08, 08:49 AM   #20
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Whilst I started this 'discussion' not knowing whether any form of in-game promotion would be beneficial or even desirable - the 'fervent' nature of people's dislike for the idea, whilst not a BIG surprise, does make me wonder...

The problem is that people are so "it's a 100% bad idea" that I'm left wondering - because almost NOTHING is "a 100% bad idea" (even prostitution - tho that's a pretty major tangent to take at this point I think!)

In a community of people who create many and varied addons to make the game 'play better', I'd have thought SOME of that creativity could have been applied to making those addons 'known better' - ESPECIALLY where the addon is intended to help people other than the player who's installed it.

It's arrogant - IMO - to assume that if your addon is good enough, people will promote it for you or seek it out regardless - part of creating something, for me at least, is ensuring it finds it's audience (few artists paint pictures and then hide them away do they?).

I realise everyone has a different threshold for 'spam' - or for anything they find intrusive or annoying in-game - but as I said earlier, the game is SO full of noise, spam and "hooting dickholes" that some subtle, humourous and carefully aimed 'promotion' would be like pissing into the Pacific in terms of the degree to which it could contribute to that in a negative way

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Thoughts on in-game addon advertising...