03-30-17, 01:23 AM   #1
aranasyn
A Defias Bandit
What setting controls the location of chatbox?

RealUI seems to be controlling the location of the chatbox. Whether I'm using Phanxchat or Chatter or BasicChat, if I move the chatbox location and reload or relog, the chatbox position is reset so that the bottom of it nearly touches the new infobar again. It doesn't matter whether I lock it or leave it unlocked. When I go to type in the editbox, the text is then transposed against the infobar, which is intensely annoying. I could move the editbox to the top, yes, but trying to solve it this way first.

If I use wow's default chat with no addon, RealUI is not able to control the location and it will stay where I put it, but this isn't an optimal solution.

I've hunted around for a setting or somewhere in the core that moves the default location, but nothing seems to alter this behavior and locked location. Does anyone know where the code that controls this is, or if there's a setting or a sub add-on I'm just missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
03-30-17, 11:07 AM   #2
Perforex
Originally Posted by aranasyn View Post
RealUI seems to be controlling the location of the chatbox. Whether I'm using Phanxchat or Chatter or BasicChat, if I move the chatbox location and reload or relog, the chatbox position is reset so that the bottom of it nearly touches the new infobar again. It doesn't matter whether I lock it or leave it unlocked. When I go to type in the editbox, the text is then transposed against the infobar, which is intensely annoying. I could move the editbox to the top, yes, but trying to solve it this way first.

If I use wow's default chat with no addon, RealUI is not able to control the location and it will stay where I put it, but this isn't an optimal solution.

I've hunted around for a setting or somewhere in the core that moves the default location, but nothing seems to alter this behavior and locked location. Does anyone know where the code that controls this is, or if there's a setting or a sub add-on I'm just missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I've had a weird bug where the chat is moved roughly 20 pixels down after you make any movement or resize and do a /reload, I solved it by always moving it 20 pixels higher than I wanted to when I needed to adjust it. In /realadv (advanced settings) there should be a chat option that I believes disables the ability for RealUI to control your chat position.
03-30-17, 11:26 AM   #3
aranasyn
A Defias Bandit
Hrm. I've hunted through there, but just went through it again - it's not popping out at me. Could you point me at it? I can disable "chat extras" from there, but that is just the skinning function.

There's a Frame Mover, but the chatbox isn't one of those options. When I do an fstack, it's ChatFrame1 I'm trying to move, but there's nothing I can do to alter the position. ChatFrame3, which is over on the right and is used as my loot/tradechat frame, has the same issue, except it's a couple of pixels below the infobar.

I did a clean fresh install and the problem didn't go away. Not really sure what's doing it.

If I unlock and move it, doesn't matter where I move it, the /reload resets it to the bottom left corner, immediately stacked on the infobar.

Anyway, thanks and cheers!
03-31-17, 01:40 AM   #4
Perforex
Originally Posted by aranasyn View Post
Hrm. I've hunted through there, but just went through it again - it's not popping out at me. Could you point me at it? I can disable "chat extras" from there, but that is just the skinning function.

There's a Frame Mover, but the chatbox isn't one of those options. When I do an fstack, it's ChatFrame1 I'm trying to move, but there's nothing I can do to alter the position. ChatFrame3, which is over on the right and is used as my loot/tradechat frame, has the same issue, except it's a couple of pixels below the infobar.

I did a clean fresh install and the problem didn't go away. Not really sure what's doing it.

If I unlock and move it, doesn't matter where I move it, the /reload resets it to the bottom left corner, immediately stacked on the infobar.

Anyway, thanks and cheers!
I must have been mistaken, the options in adv is only for the skin it seems. My bad! Then I am not to sure what it is. In World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\YourAccountName\SavedVariables there is a file called nibRealUI.lua that has a property for reach character called ["needchatmoved"] = true/false. I believe it's just for initialisation of the UI, but you can see if that makes any difference.
03-31-17, 05:34 AM   #5
aranasyn
A Defias Bandit
Ah ha! That didn't do it, but it did provide the key.

I could use that, combined with altering lines in the core.lua in the nibRealUI folder.

For anyone that finds this problem in the future, here's the solution:

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\YourAccountName\SavedVariables there is a file called nibRealUI.lua that has a property for reach character called ["needchatmoved"] = true/false

You may need to add the variable line if it isn't already there (it wasn't for my character). Then you need to set it to "true" This tells the addon to move your chatbox the next time you log on.

Mine looked like this:

["init"] = {
["initialized"] = true,
["needchatmoved"] = true,
["installStage"] = -1,
},

Next, before you log on, go to World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\nibRealUI\core.lua, and ctrl-f for the line with "ChatFrame1" in it.

I changed the _G.ChatFrame1:SetPoint () line to read:

_G.ChatFrame1:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT", "UIParent", "BOTTOMLEFT", 8, 48)

but you can tweak the last two numbers as an x/y from the bottom left of your screen to put it where you want it.

I also had a second chat frame on the right that was messed up, too. If you need to alter that one, then before you start all this, when you're in wow, you need to find out what that chatframe's object name is by doing /fstack and holding cursor over the chatbox.

Then you just copy/paste all of the _G.ChatFrame1 lines in that if statement, right below the ones that are already there, and change all the 1s to whatever number your other frame is (mine was 3, and since it was on the right, I used BOTTOMRIGHT anchors for it, so my if statement once totally complete looked like:

if dbc.init.needchatmoved then
_G.ChatFrame1:ClearAllPoints()
_G.ChatFrame1:SetPoint("BOTTOMLEFT", "UIParent", "BOTTOMLEFT", 8, 48)
_G.ChatFrame1:SetFrameLevel(15)
_G.ChatFrame1:SetHeight(145)
_G.ChatFrame1:SetWidth(400)
_G.ChatFrame1:SetUserPlaced(true)
_G.FCF_SavePositionAndDimensions(_G.ChatFrame1)
_G.ChatFrame3:ClearAllPoints()
_G.ChatFrame3:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT", "UIParent", "BOTTOMRIGHT", -50, 32)
_G.ChatFrame3:SetFrameLevel(15)
_G.ChatFrame3:SetHeight(145)
_G.ChatFrame3:SetWidth(400)
_G.ChatFrame3:SetUserPlaced(true)
_G.FCF_SavePositionAndDimensions(_G.ChatFrame3)
dbc.init.needchatmoved = false
end

If you need to tweak it, you can resave the World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\YourAccountName\SavedVariables\nibRealUI.lua with it set to true (logging in, the code above sets it back to false every time)

Anyway, thanks for your help, Perforex.

Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Last edited by aranasyn : 03-31-17 at 05:39 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » RealUI » What setting controls the location of chatbox?