04-28-09, 05:13 PM   #1
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
DrDamage Like Addon

Description
Lately I've been working a bit on an addon like DrDamage, it is not finished at all yet, but I do feel it is working well enough to show it, and perhaps get a some feedback.
So far it only handles caster spells, there is no support for physical abilities at all yet, but it will come. There are also a lot of calculations lacking, the spell tooltip isn't so detailed yet.
To calculate modifiers for abilities, the addon uses scanner modules. So far there are four modules, talents, glyphs, items and auras. Each module is responsible for updating modifiers relevant for it, the core will then merge them together and show the final modified value for each ability.
Here is a screenshot of this addon shown on Dominos actionbars, although it looks like DrDamage, it is not, although I was obviously heavily inspired by it.

Supported Classes
For druids, shaman, mage, warlock and priests, there is a good support, many spells has been added, although not complete.
There is a very limited support of paladins, only healing spells shown so far.
Only caster classes/specs are supported at the moment, so no support for rogues, warriors, hunters or deathknights.

Naming
The current name is just a working title, as there already was an addon named TheoryCrafting once. But I've had a hard time coming up with a good name for this, so until then, I will just stick with this.
I have a few naming ideas, but I am not entirely happy with them, so any suggestions are appreciated. These are the few ideas I've come up with so far.
  • CoPilot
  • SpellDoctor
  • ClassDoctor
  • DrClass

Supported ActionBars
  • Default Blizzard Bars
  • Dominos
  • Bartender4

ToDo List
  • Add physical damage handling to the core.
  • Fill in spells for all classes, at least the max rank ones for now, can always add in the rest later.
  • Improve the Aura scanner module.
  • More spell details and breakdown in the tooltip.
  • Convince some people into helping me out with testing and filling in the talent data of each class

Download Here
TheoryCraft09.04.29.zip
04-28-09, 06:03 PM   #2
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Looks cool. I'll test it out.

I'd suggest some names if I was more creative. :/
04-28-09, 06:19 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just a heads up, Dr. Damage was updated on Curse yesterday.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-28-09, 06:31 PM   #4
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Just a heads up, Dr. Damage was updated on Curse yesterday.
Oh, I didn't knew that, although I read his post on the WowAce forums, that he had something in the works for it. But I started making this addon when everyone thought DrDamage to be dead.
04-28-09, 06:37 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I know. And I know that it's totally separate from DrD. Just letting you know in case you wanted to converse with Gagorian again about it or whatnot.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-28-09, 07:44 PM   #6
bwh
A Murloc Raider
for naming, I know when I search for an addon like this, I use keywords like "spell", "calculate"... I'd say you should at least keep the word Spell in its name, unless this becomes as popular as examiner (which doesn't have any reference to inspect in its name )
"Dr" on the other hand is too much of a reminder of DrDamage, SpellMath maybe? Or even Aftermath (did I just ignore my above suggestion about keeping "spell" in its name)

Last edited by bwh : 04-28-09 at 07:51 PM.
04-28-09, 08:09 PM   #7
klamb213
Banned

Theres also a MrDamage out there already that is supposed to be a DRDamage replacement.
04-28-09, 11:10 PM   #8
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Look how many Auctioneer clones there are. Everyone's going to prefer something different.
05-01-09, 04:32 AM   #9
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by bwh
SpellMath maybe? Or even Aftermath (did I just ignore my above suggestion about keeping "spell" in its name)
Thanks for the name suggestions, Aftermath sounds good yeah, but SpellMath says more about what the addon does I think. So I might go with SpellMath, if you don't mind

Originally Posted by Spectro
Look how many Auctioneer clones there are. Everyone's going to prefer something different.
You're right, but also, it would be stupid to let my work go to waste now. It's so good in it's current state that I don't even use DrDamage, so there is no reason to believe that others wouldn't prefer this as well.
05-01-09, 07:41 AM   #10
bwh
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Aezay View Post
Thanks for the name suggestions, Aftermath sounds good yeah, but SpellMath says more about what the addon does I think. So I might go with SpellMath, if you don't mind ...
I wouldn't suggest it if I'm gonna mind you using it. Be my guest.

PS: you most probably have noticed but Aftermath is AfterMATH. Personally I've liked this more than spellmath, but its your call. at least I should make a final suggestion SpellAfterMath!
05-01-09, 07:53 AM   #11
Dohram
A Defias Bandit
Suggestion

2 suggestions 1 why not call it DamageButton , keep with the DrDamage and MrDamage theme, 2 seeing as multi authors regualrly team up why not talk to teh authors or mr and dr damage and see if teh 3 of you can colaborate and make a super damage addon vs each spending yoru time and resources on 3 dif mods each of which have prons and cons vs each other.
05-01-09, 08:12 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I like that name.... DamageButton. Very easy to remember, too!
05-01-09, 03:28 PM   #13
ArrchDK
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Aezay View Post
You're right, but also, it would be stupid to let my work go to waste now. It's so good in it's current state that I don't even use DrDamage, so there is no reason to believe that others wouldn't prefer this as well.
I felt the same way when Dr Damage was updated. I honestly didn't think to check WoWAce to see if there was any activity and was under the impression the author had quit.
05-05-09, 02:03 AM   #14
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by ArrchDK View Post
I felt the same way when Dr Damage was updated. I honestly didn't think to check WoWAce to see if there was any activity and was under the impression the author had quit.
Are you still working on MrDamage?
05-05-09, 01:30 PM   #15
ArrchDK
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
Are you still working on MrDamage?
Yup, still writing it.
05-06-09, 01:09 AM   #16
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

Thought I would just update here, to say I've released the first version of this, under the name AfterMath. You can find it here:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...AfterMath.html

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » DrDamage Like Addon