04-15-09, 10:19 PM   #441
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Deleting posts?

My apologies, my post finally showed up

Last edited by Jalandar : 04-15-09 at 10:42 PM.
04-15-09, 10:19 PM   #442
Hic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by jbishhh View Post
Service speaks for itself and wow matrix had people flocking to it. What does that tell you?
That people are selfish. As long as they are ok, even if they are screwing themselves in the long run, they don't care about anything.

I don't think anyone denies WM was a well designed piece of software. It was, but that doesn't make it right. And in the long run, wi and curse own what's theirs and they just did something to protect themselves from theft. I guess you should go and complain to the banks, why do they have any kind of security measures in place, damn, it is so much easier to go there and just steal money! Working sucks, why can't I steal the bank? Cameras are unfair, if a bank ever opens without cameras and alarms I'll be running out of here! Do you hear me?! Out of here!

see how ridiculous your point is?

Last edited by Hic : 04-15-09 at 10:22 PM.
04-15-09, 10:20 PM   #443
pridekit
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
Let's face facts... A lot if not most of the people complaining about this have never set (metaforically speaking) foot on this web site. They never felt the need. I say bollocks to that! (did I get that right?)

If you would like "facts" I used this site well before WM came around, I never had a need to register on the forums, not only did i use the site, but i also used some of the sister sites, such as lotro interface. I also used allakhazam as a premium member. so before you go making such broad statements, when you dont know what the new users have done in the past, think about it.......
04-15-09, 10:27 PM   #444
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As soon as a better add-on site is available, ill be sprinting toward them with open arms.
I'm sure they appreciate the compliment. I also think this is the best addon community site.

So that I'm not off topic...

WoWMatrix is bad. Even if they were to begin hosting addons legitimately, imo, they would still be 'bad', but would be less bad.
04-15-09, 10:29 PM   #445
jbishhh
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Iincgamers doesn't block WM. Go on now, do your sprint.
Ill be sure to check them out.

WM doesn't even have a forum. They have a "contact us" form and nothing more. I think you're confusing service and product here. People flocked to WM's product. As far as I've seen, their service is nonexistent.
Point taken. This does not change my point however..
04-15-09, 10:33 PM   #446
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Jalandar View Post
Bandwidth has never been the real issue. WoWMatrix has had a standing offer for any mod author who felt the bandwidth was a burden for distributing their mod to host it for them, for free.
They already get that here for free. Hell, some might construe this as solicitation... now that you cannot scrape WoWI for content you'll just come and try to poach it's authors.

If WoWI was smart, they would get in on the right side of this issue, and make a large public overture to WoWMatrix of how they can work together along the lines of my previous posts.
I know the people at WoWI. If you approach them with a REASONABLE offer, they will listen to you. If you want to serve their content through WM and not have it ripped out from under you, YOU are the one that needs to work with them.

If they aren't, they will stay the course, and WoWMatrix will work around them yet again, and the situation will just return to the way it has been.
Please do. They're just as committed to keeping you out as you are to getting in. The more you break in, the stronger their security will become. In the end the only people you hurt are the users you say you're trying to make things better for.
04-15-09, 10:41 PM   #447
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Please do. They're just as committed to keeping you out as you are to getting in. The more you break in, the stronger their security will become. In the end the only people you hurt are the users you say you're trying to make things better for.
You seem to mistake Me for WoWMatrix....
04-15-09, 10:42 PM   #448
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
We are blocking WM because we have to. I think this is the 3rd time I've said this.

We can not host the addon traffic they use alone. We dont have the hardware we arent that big of an addon site. So we couldnt turn it back on even if we wanted to. I personally would have liked to wait until a good solution for the community was found first.

Now that we are "hopefully" saving a little money instead of loosing we should be able to put that money twords development of our updater in private alpha atm. It will still take some time though, we aren't going to magically have it right away.

The difference with Hulu and Boxxee is that Boxxe didnt replace Hulu's ads with their own. Hulu has to block boxxee because of the local TV Stations crying. WM displays their own ads on the updater and takes the file from our download server. We get nothing but the bill. Why cant WM do it on their own dime?

WM was able to make a decent updater because they could invest all their resources into the app. We have to invest our resources into many other things that do with hosting the addons and supporting the authors.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-15-09 at 11:04 PM.
04-15-09, 10:43 PM   #449
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Point taken. This does not change my point however..
Than I shall refute!

WM's product was a delivery method for content hosted on other sites. Sites that they did not have any sort of relationship with. People flocked to it because it was a good program, it did what it advertised, and it was better than what the site "officially" offered in comparison. Why was it better? Because it didn't have to pay the bill. Since they never had any agreement with the sites providing the content, well, that content was removed from their product against their wishes. It's kinda hard to fault either side without involving the courts here.

However, now you could say the playing field has been leveled so to speak. If WM wants to compete with the content that Curse and WoWI host exclusivity, they either need to convince us authors to give them our addons to host on their own (thus paying their own bill), find or produce competing mods to host, or downright violate copyrights and host the addons themselves. I honestly hope they don't do the latter, up to this point they seem to have respected copyrights in that respect (though one could counter that distributing the addons from sites when authors didn't give them permission to do so was also a copyright violation).

TLDR version: ball's in WM's court. They get to either put their money where their mouth is and pay their own bandwidth bill, or make a formal deal with the sites whose content they with to distribute.
04-15-09, 10:44 PM   #450
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

You seem to mistake Me for WoWMatrix....
You can attack the new protections too. WM isn't the only program hit by this.
04-15-09, 10:49 PM   #451
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Public Service Announcement:

Have you loaded up the Curse Client after using WowMatrix only to find that it only recognizes a mere handful of your addons (if any)? I was just reminded of this on the wowace forums: the CC checks the files of your addon to see if what you have matches what they have on their servers. If it has been modified in any way (either through custom edits by you, adding the MyMedia file to SharedMedia, or WM adding a wowmatrix.dat file) then CC will mark your addon as "unrecognized" just to be safe not to overwrite anything you do not want overwritten. You can manually override this, iirc, in the CurseClient, or you can delete the addon and reinstall from scratch.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 04-15-09 at 10:52 PM.
04-15-09, 10:53 PM   #452
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
You can attack the new protections too. WM isn't the only program hit by this.
And still...you are making no sense. I have nothing to do with attacking the protections (though I caught what the protections are, and was able to come up with a work around concept rather quickly). I am not, however, associated with any program that does this. And to try to color my comments as being otherwise, Tekkub, is bordering on slanderous.
04-15-09, 11:21 PM   #453
Nuchaleft
A Fallenroot Satyr

I'm glad WM is blocked, even though none of my addons appeared in their program. Stealing bandwidth from another site is just wrong in my opinion, no matter how the fans try to sugar-coat it.
04-16-09, 12:47 AM   #454
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by pridekit View Post
If you would like "facts" I used this site well before WM came around, I never had a need to register on the forums, not only did i use the site, but i also used some of the sister sites, such as lotro interface. I also used allakhazam as a premium member. so before you go making such broad statements, when you dont know what the new users have done in the past, think about it.......
Twasn't a broad statement I made. It was a very narrow one. I said "a lot, if not most...". Never did I say "all". Therefore, the comment was not directed at you, sir. A good day to you!

(bollocks)

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-16-09, 12:53 AM   #455
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I could care less if any of the content from wm was leeched or not, but I have to question the % of leeched content when I download your client and find that i have to go to the writers websites to find what i'm looking for because curse and wi don't have it. Defend this place to the death if you want but the fact remains that wow matrix NEVER posed any headache and never failed to provide any any up to date addon I have ever wanted.

Service speaks for itself and wow matrix had people flocking to it. What does that tell you?
Perhaps I'm just very sleepy and not reading correctly, but if curse and wowi didn't have what you were looking for, then you would have to go wherever to get it regardless of what updater you were using... Am I right in this, or should I just go lay down for a few hours?

(boLLocks)

04-16-09, 01:04 AM   #456
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Bandwidth has never been the real issue. WoWMatrix has had a standing offer for any mod author who felt the bandwidth was a burden for distributing their mod to host it for them, for free.

If WoWI was smart, they would get in on the right side of this issue, and make a large public overture to WoWMatrix of how they can work together along the lines of my previous posts.

If they aren't, they will stay the course, and WoWMatrix will work around them yet again, and the situation will just return to the way it has been.

They are already close to that from what I see. Don't miss your opportunity.
How many ways can the admins say "WE TRIED!"? Unless, by "large public overture" you mean "large mound of cash", which I'm quite sure they couldn't and wouldn't do in any case. This site shall bow before no third party addon client!

(bollocks, I need some sleep)

04-16-09, 01:57 AM   #457
Gamoin
A Defias Bandit
Finally, i'm registered I've waded through the 23 page discussion and it seems to me it could be summed up to this:

1) People using WM have no right to complain to WOWI/Curse. WM was using their resources in a way that had created problems for the sites and there is no way that can be justified. You can like it or not, it doesn't matter, there is no reason these sites need to let that kind of service operating, or for that matter, any kind of service. If you think about it, it is free (in a sense you don't pay your money, you haven't agreed to Terms of use, etc etc) so if they choose, they can let you download a limited amount of addons. Or maybe just one It would be a suicide but they could do it and there's nothing obligating them no to do it. If there's anyone you can complain to is to WM, it's their service that isn't working, not these 2 sites

2) Counting the number of clicks, saying that the users are lazy etc etc... that doesn't matter. Some of you are proud that you have eg 50+ addons and are able to update them manually. Bravo I say, well done. It doesn't matter and no one cares. People like and use WM because it's simple and fast. You can like it or not, id doesn't matter, but the only way to "fight" WM is either to incorporate them (which i know was tried, but i wanted to mention it since i'm summing everything up ) or to offer a service similar to their (i'd say the same but that would require the sites to work together which is also hard to achieve between the competition). No amount of self righteousness from some of the members on this forum (and not the admins, you are ok ) will change that fact. Everything else is just closing your eyes to reality, which is ok if that's the way you like it... but it doesn't mean or change a thing
04-16-09, 02:31 AM   #458
crimsonneko521
A Kobold Labourer
All I would really like to add is that I think WOWI can easily make a comparable program. There are only a handle of widely used addons used on one side and not the other. As long as their addon manager will still list those addons and put a link to their location on the description, I will never open WM again. As it is, I don't like having to sift through 50 bookmarks every day for a week following a patch.
04-16-09, 05:55 AM   #459
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by crimsonneko521 View Post
All I would really like to add is that I think WOWI can easily make a comparable program. There are only a handle of widely used addons used on one side and not the other. As long as their addon manager will still list those addons and put a link to their location on the description, I will never open WM again. As it is, I don't like having to sift through 50 bookmarks every day for a week following a patch.
Check out this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20417

In a nutshell, WoWInterface Updater is coming. However its just one developer who has to work around school, a job and other Real Life requirements. Having to deal with all the trolling and flaming that have cropped in the last couple of days is not helping. WoWI (and MMOI in general) are not running with a large staff, in fact its quite small.
04-16-09, 06:04 AM   #460
Thengus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Check out this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20417

In a nutshell, WoWInterface Updater is coming. However its just one developer who has to work around school, a job and other Real Life requirements. Having to deal with all the trolling and flaming that have cropped in the last couple of days is not helping. WoWI (and MMOI in general) are not running with a large staff, in fact its quite small.
WOWI and Curse decided to bring this "trolling and flaming" unto themselves by starting this thing the day before patch day. They could have waited 5-10 days and (almost) no one would have noticed and the noise would have been much lower.

I think they are grown up and in this case they made the wrong decision and they have to live with the consequences.

Next time, before taking a decision like this, think it over a second time and consider what your customer will suffer for your decisions

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users