11-22-14, 11:33 AM   #1
Spark3000
A Kobold Labourer
Question Automatic Macro Updater for partner names.

Hi all,

So i'm far from new to programming but brand new to both lua and wow addon development. I've been putting together an addon that will automatically modify player names in a bunch of macros after entering an arena, as you can imagine for classes that require a lot of partner macros at a high level inside arena (for example ret paladin), it is really annoying to change the name in 5 places per partner when queuing skirmishes for fun or playing with new partners.

For the most part it's working fine, my problem is that i'm so far unable to find the best event to hook my function up to, which would ensure partners have joined. I've had most success with GROUP_ROSTER_UPDATE which seems to work most of the time but sometimes appears to fire too early before the player actually zones in to the arena group, if i run the function via command line when partners have joined it works just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Spark3000 : 11-22-14 at 11:44 AM.
11-22-14, 12:41 PM   #2
Clamsoda
A Frostmaul Preserver
party1 and party2 macros wouldn't suffice?
11-23-14, 01:27 AM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you can't use unit tokens (eg. party1) instead of names, then you'd want to register for PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD and/or ZONE_CHANGED_NEW_AREA and check the return values from GetInstanceInfo to detect when you enter an arena.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Automatic Macro Updater for partner names.