08-15-13, 10:48 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Issues with maps, poi naming, etc.

I'm trying to use Carbonite with the mini-map merged into the Carbonite map. I have problems and a couple of questions. The picture I attached explains it all, more or less. And, yes... I'm using the latest Beta/Alpha2 release as of Aug 15, 2013.

Issues:
(1) POI icons on the maps are no longer named according to what they represent (such as "Anvil"). They are now named after the NPC employ who is standing there! Are we expected to become personally familiar with each NPC by remembering their personal names? When I move my cursor over an Auctioneer icon, it doesn't say "Auctioneer", although it used to. I really don't care about who the Auctioneer employees are! The same goes for every other POI icon in the game.

(2) Why doesn't the merged mini-map have a transparent background? It's a solid black square which covers up important map info underneath it. It's black throughout the entire city of Dalaran, not just indoors. And, I cannot use my cursor over the icons within that black square to get popup info on the icons, let alone setting a [CTRL-Click] waypoint arrow (path) from within that black area.

Is there some HOT KEY METHOD I can use to quickly "hide" the merged mini-map? I know that while out in the field, the quest area blobs (colored areas) can sometimes be hidden by pressing the [Shift] key. But, that doesn't work on the mini-map.

Is this something being worked on, or else is there some configuration option in the Carbonite settings that I can change? As it is, it's unworkable, unless I un-merge the mini-map and go back to using the default Blizzard view of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map blobs and poi names.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	562.5 KB
ID:	7808  

08-15-13, 04:41 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The black map issue in Dalaran should be fixed if you enabled the bugged maps options, and it is like that because of a WoW bug, not a carbonite bug. In some zones and towns if the minimap is transparent even .01% the entire thing goes black like that.

That happens regardless using carbonite or not which is why it wants to dock and be a solid color.

As for the NPC names showing up on your map instead of anvil or auctioneer.... you've seen the data files jimbo has been doing, there is no reference at all to a name, so it's not carbonite doing that... we don't track or display the names.

Last edited by Rythal : 08-15-13 at 04:43 PM.

08-16-13, 04:49 AM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thank you, Rythal for explaining. There's one thing I'd still like to know related to my questions.
I asked:
Is there some HOT KEY METHOD I can use to quickly "hide" the merged mini-map? I know that while out in the field, the quest area blobs (colored areas) can sometimes be hidden by pressing the [Shift] key. But, that doesn't work on the mini-map.
I would just like to simply 'not display it' temporarily instead of resetting the option to have it merged/unmerged, etc.
Can this be done, or not?

08-23-13, 01:23 PM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally posted on 08-16-13 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Thank you, Rythal for explaining. There's one thing I'd still like to know related to my questions.
I asked:
I would just like to simply 'not display it' temporarily instead of resetting the option to have it merged/unmerged, etc.
Can this be done, or not?
A simple "yes" or "no" reply would be sufficient. If you care to add more info or even a suggestion, that would be appreciated, too.

08-23-13, 04:49 PM   #5
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Hello Kreelor, I think I have your solution to remove the minimap when you want to.

In areas where the map goes black, right click on the minimap and choose "minimap". A list of settings will pop up, one of which will be "Docked Scale". Move the slider all the way to the left which will make the whole "round minimap" disappear so that you can see the whole map in just carbonite's minimap. When you want to restore the "round minimap" just move the slider back to your preferred size.

I don't think there is a way to provide a keybind, but maybe Rythal can add an option to "Hide Docked Minimap" to the options when you right click on it.

I don't know if this will help, but it's the best advice I can give as I am learning my way around Carbonite as well.

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 08-23-13 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Small edit adding how to restore the minimap.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Issues with maps, poi naming, etc.