Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
02-14-24, 07:34 AM   #1
sp00n
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to identify which sound is being played?

Is there an easier way to determine which sound was being played by the game than noting down when/where it occurred and then searching through Wowhead what could've caused the issue?

Before I stopped playing over a decade ago it was still possible to create a \Sound directory and place all the extracted sound files there, which allowed me to use Process Monitor to check which sound files were being accessed by WoW (and then subsequently mute them by replacing them with a silent .ogg/.wav), however this is not the case anymore, since WoW only seems to read the files directly from its packed \Data files nowadays.

So now we're left with the MuteSound API, which requires the IDs of the sound files. But how can we get these, without wading through Wowhead as previously mentioned?

I tried to hook the PlaySound and PlaySoundFile calls like this:
Lua Code:
  1. hooksecurefunc("PlaySound", print)
  2. hooksecurefunc("PlaySoundFile", print)
However this only seems to fire for a few actions, like opening your character sheet. It does not seem to fire for spells or mounts.

So is there any way to get these sound file IDS programmatically, or at least somewhat automatically?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How to identify which sound is being played?