12-28-09, 05:52 PM   #1
Weizegger
A Murloc Raider

React with youre spell buttons!

I was wondering what people have for a play style... some classes has so many buttons to press. So atm i am playing and clicking the spell buttons with my mouse. But whats for key bindings? How can you add so much key's to youre keyboard? And does it work, im ussing w, a, s, ,d for walking.... i allready see my fingers go crossed when trying to press 1, 2, 3, 4, for pressig some action key's

i play allot with rogue, palla and lock atm... maybe each class is different but i dont have found my play style yet.... playing wow now like 3 years and allways used the mous for pressing key's.

Plz tell me what your play style is so i can found out.

regards
12-28-09, 06:05 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I user either the mouse or arrow keys to move and either 1,2,3,4 etc for main spells or click them with the mouse. It changes depending on circumstances.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
12-28-09, 06:37 PM   #3
harrellj
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I use a weird mix, depending on situations and character. I installed BindPad which has allowed me to put utility items into keybinds that make sense to me (things like the down arrow for my smart mount macro, shift+down for hearth, control+down for my engineering wormhole, alt+down for the crusaders' tabard, etc). I also use it and Clique for a mixture of things on my holy paladin, so like middle mouse button to cast Flash of Light and shift+middle to cast holy light (thanks to clique), but a macro to cast divine plea but pop wings/trinket/divine illumination/etc with alt+middle bound in BindPad. For this whole thing, I keyboard turn (wasd movement keys) but have control as my vent key, so am used to using my pinky to hit keys.

Also, most people that I've seen with lots of keybinds do it the same way I do, the modifier keys (shift, control, alt) with a mixture of a key on the keyboard. Also, don't overlook any mouse buttons you may have and the fact that you can also add in the modifier buttons to those mouse buttons as well as combining modifiers (control+alt+key type deals). In my example above with the down arrow key? I have smart mount, hearth, tabard, engineering wormhole, 100% land mount, 60% land mount all bound to that one key, with combinations of the modifier keys. For the directional keys in general, 4 keys total, but 10 different things I can do (eat/drink/swap specs, including a special one for going pvp, as well as those 6 others listed).

If you want to experiment more with keybinds, I found BindPad to be the easiest way for me to do it, since Blizzard's menu is horrible (seriously, if you look at that, how do you know which bar on your screen corresponds to action bar 8? Especially if you don't use any sort of action bar mod?). I'd also recommend doing utility spells first, things like mounts/portals/pets/professions, as something to get used to hitting keys rather than buttons, but nothing that would impact gameplay (DPS/tanking/healing).

Also, figuring out which spells you need when are helpful, and maybe the issue isn't keybinds but the layout of the action bars. Paladins have all their helpful "hand of" spells that are pretty much only ever going to be used rarely and in a party, same with divine intervention. Setting those on a bar that is then set to only show when in a party (and could be further refined to only be visible in combat), will also help reduce any feeling of actually needing to click things.

Also, for the spells you use the most, why have them on the number keys if they aren't comfortable to use? With being a keyboard turner, would having frequent spells on cfr be more comfortable? What about using the numpad on the right-side of the keyboard (or even use that to keybind the various raid charms and remove any addons related to those)?

The whole thing is what is comfortable for you, in regards to how flexible your hands are while playing, as well as how your keyboard works with your playstyle.

Last edited by harrellj : 12-28-09 at 06:41 PM.
12-29-09, 02:25 AM   #4
numein
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Standard keyboard + mouse combo:
I use WASD for walking, ofc right mouse button for turning.
For spells keyboard keys: 1-6 (rest is hard to reach), Q, E, R, T, F, G, (Z), X, C, V. And the mouse buttons.

And combine all that with modifier keys: shift is easiest to use for me (little finger is free) so it's my 'main' mod, alt is handy too since the thumb doesn't have anything to do anyway, and if u need ctrl can use it as well.
I'm not using the WASD with any modifiers, since those keys are often or always pressed and mods just make things worse.

With that u have 16 keyboard buttons x3 (with modifiers) for ur spells, should be more then enough. Only left for me was the mage teleports/portals, so i just added those to the second page of the first bar.

I find it easiest to use the F+G+C+V+E+R+T for main spells. Am not using the D for walking much, so I have a "free" finger.

Add some macros and addons with all this and it's cool.

Also, if u still need more buttons, I saw that some use ESDF for walking, and just move the rest accordingly, frees up some more usefull buttons.

One more tip to get used to keybinds instead of clicking: hide ur interface when u solo, so u wont be able to click (or use some addon to make the bars clickthru if u need a reminger for keybindings)...

And if u have some peripherals like G13, some gaming mouse / keyboard, it can be really handy.
12-29-09, 03:13 AM   #5
Weizegger
A Murloc Raider

Thxs all for youre comments. Atm i am ussing nUI, this one have key bindings to.
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat125.html

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » React with youre spell buttons!