10-28-09, 11:02 PM   #1
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
Survey: Distracted Driving

As part of a report for a college class, I have created an online survey about distracted driving and electronic devices. The target audience of this survey is those above 16 years old or your local minimum driving age if it's higher than 16.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...RkMDLmmw_3d_3d

The survey is a short 9 questions and I would appreciate it if anybody with a few minutes to spare could fill it out.

The 10th question is an optional comments block to put any addition information you would like to say. Such as being outside the US, having laws against one or more things on the survey, being in an area where the majority of people of legal driving age do not have drivers licenses (such as a major metropolitan area), or anything else you could care to comment on that you think might give you a different perspective than those in my local area.
10-30-09, 10:40 PM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I took the survey; pretty painless.

I do think you should add the option of applying make-up and brushing hair while on a cell phone / texting, though . I see that nearly everyday and it makes me rage, especially when there are children in the car, too.
10-30-09, 10:51 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One of the many reasons I'm glad we sold the car. (was to save money not some other eco friendly purpose =P )

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-31-09, 02:27 AM   #4
Republic
Paladin

The government doesn't belong inside our cars anymore than they do our homes. Additional laws are not necessary.
10-31-09, 03:38 AM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Republic View Post
The government doesn't belong inside our cars anymore than they do our homes. Additional laws are not necessary.
/agree

I have huge impulses to go on a /rant about how much I agree with that, but nothing good could come of it, in regards to forum rules and certain flame wars.

My previous post wasn't referring to the law section, just to clarify, and was in jest even though it's true.
10-31-09, 04:12 AM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I have huge impulses to go on a /rant about how much I agree with that, but <snip>
...kicking kittens is so much more rewarding?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-31-09, 04:31 AM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
but nothing good could come of it, in regards to forum rules and certain flame wars.
Quoted for emphasis. Let's leave political debate out of the thread.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-31-09, 05:37 AM   #8
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Quoted for emphasis. Let's leave political debate out of the thread.
The basic human condition of freedom isn't a political issue. Thus, no real point in bringing politics into the discussion. The statement against no new laws is appropriate as per the OP's interest in different points of view with regard to "having laws against one or more things on the survey". If we can't discuss the topic of the OP, I suppose there's no real point to this thread other than the advertisement for the survey. My bad.
10-31-09, 07:46 AM   #9
Slakah
A Molten Giant

I don't understand this statement, cars and homes are fundamentally different things, what additional laws are you worried about?
10-31-09, 09:37 AM   #10
OarisJM
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I don't understand this statement, cars and homes are fundamentally different things, what additional laws are you worried about?
The laws mentioned in the survey?

OP, I really think that the make-up thing should be added, as well as eating. I suspect they are more frequent offenders because there's no stigma attached to them.
10-31-09, 11:27 AM   #11
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster View Post
As part of a report for a college class, I have created an online survey about distracted driving and electronic devices.

My make up statement was in jest... the survey as quoted is intended for distractions only relating to electronic devices. Sorry if I derailed, I was having a little fun.
10-31-09, 12:47 PM   #12
Republic
Paladin

If you read the survey from the OP link, how could you not understand my comment? Go do some homework. The adults are talking
10-31-09, 12:49 PM   #13
BWarner
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
...kicking kittens is so much more rewarding?
Quoted for emphasis.

The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

http://AeroWow.com/
10-31-09, 01:29 PM   #14
Slakah
A Molten Giant

The adults are talking
How demeaning.

Cars can quite easily kill people when the person driving isn't paying attention, unlike a house, laws which try protect my right to life when on the road are fine with me.
10-31-09, 02:08 PM   #15
Republic
Paladin

How demeaning.

Cars can quite easily kill people when the person driving isn't paying attention, unlike a house, laws which try protect my right to life when on the road are fine with me.
So uh, you did understand my statement? You just didn't agree with it? Do you see how that's two vastly different things? With one you look like...eh, nevermind.

Smiling, waving, and moving on As to continue discussing your point, this will become a political discussion, which scares some folks around here.
10-31-09, 04:00 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
*ahem*

/me taps her foot
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-31-09, 04:09 PM   #17
Akryn
A Firelord
So uh, you did understand my statement? You just didn't agree with it?
I believe he was using "understand" to mean "understand how you are arriving at your conclusion, based on the stated premise," as opposed to "understand the literal meaning of your words." I have to agree with him: there's no reason to expect privacy on a public road, just because you're in a car -- indeed, *especially* while you're in a car which makes poor behavior choices more likely to negatively impact other people.
10-31-09, 04:24 PM   #18
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
(Not trying to add to political discussion/potential flame war, only inform.)

Several states in the US have laws that make doing certain actions while driving illegal. For example, in California it is illegal to talk on a cell phone without using a hands-free device (and illegal period for minors). It is also illegal to text-message while driving.
10-31-09, 05:31 PM   #19
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
I believe he was using "understand" to mean "understand how you are arriving at your conclusion, based on the stated premise," as opposed to "understand the literal meaning of your words." I have to agree with him: there's no reason to expect privacy on a public road, just because you're in a car -- indeed, *especially* while you're in a car which makes poor behavior choices more likely to negatively impact other people.
Legislation as a solution to poor behavior choices? What planet do you live on? Sorry, but I'm never in favor of the government telling me every little move I can make. Why don't we just go ahead and outlaw smoking while we're at it? It clearly kills more people each year than adjusting the knob on a car radio.

I suppose you could say I'm not a fan of "change you can believe in". I prefer freedom.
10-31-09, 05:33 PM   #20
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by wurmfood View Post
(Not trying to add to political discussion/potential flame war, only inform.)

Several states in the US have laws that make doing certain actions while driving illegal. For example, in California it is illegal to talk on a cell phone without using a hands-free device (and illegal period for minors). It is also illegal to text-message while driving.
My feeling is you shouldn't have to legislate common sense. The fact it is necessary to do so is a pretty significant sign of these times

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Survey: Distracted Driving